Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think once you got use to a Mac, you would find it intuitive. Using it in a class would not give you enough experience. You have to use it day-in/day-out.

One major problem was that the same symbol you use to minimize an app in Windows closed it on the Mac. You can imagine how frustrating that was. It really turned me off the software altogether.

Not sure how Android is similar to Windows. Can you elaborate? I think it's closer to iOS than Windows phone/desktop. Yes, you can get a launcher/widget so you can have that Windows phone look if desired.

Also, apps generally cost about the same on iOS/android.

I honestly can't remember, but when I was looking for a smartphone for the first time, the Android seemed more familiar. I don't even know what a Windows phone looks like.

I don't know if you had Kimball's but how do these places compare to it? I like the big portions that Kimball's gives so we just share the kid size between the two of us. Also, why is Benson's at the top of your list over Rota Springs or Bogey's?

The only negative that I have about Kimball's is that they don't have as many unique flavors like Erickson's (Maynard)...
We've gone to Benson's twice. It's 75 miles from our house and getting there involves So Much Traffic. The most recent was at least five years ago. I know we went there specifically the second time because the 1) make their own ice cream and 2) use in-season produce. I really wanted a scoop of red raspberry, and we knew they had it. :yum: It was a huge scoop, it was delicious, and IIRC it cost almost $6. Worth every penny, but definitely in the "rare treat" column. Rota's, on the other hand, is just as delicious, just as generous, and a lot better priced. Bogey's...haven't been there for years, but I do want to go back so Himself can enjoy some Whitehouse cherry. There are also two "Ronnie's Seafood" stands close to us. They each have ice cream available, it is from some dairy since they don't make their own, and it is good.

However, even with all these great places to go, whether near or far, it's gotten to the point where I just stock up on pints of Graeter's Ice Cream when they're on sale. And by "stock up" I buy one to dole out between the two of us for two or (usually) three servings each (it's that rich) Or when they actually have salted caramel in stock, I buy two cartons - a caramel for me, and a black raspeberry chocolate chip for himself. Their ice cream is so very rich that, when we each have our own carton, I am perfectly happy taking my carton out of the freezer, scooping up a soup spoon's worth of ice cream, and putting the ice cream back into the freezer for another time...and not in five minutes. :LOL: I mean a day or three later. It is so rich, but pricey when not on sale. Still worth the $$ when it's not, but I'm cheap.

@CookingGoddess

IMG_1324.jpg

Ah, looks like someone got to Rota Springs Ice Cream. Am I right, bbq? I hope it was all I hyped it up to be.

And now I remember that we haven't gotten down to Bogey's for ice cream. Where has this summer gone???

Yup, you’re correct. It was a bit further than I thought it would be but still worth the trip. I was in my way to Rindge NH and decided to pick up ice cream as my way of contributing to dinner. Got two quarts: pumpkin Oreo and Java Lava. They were both tasty.

That area of Sterling is scenic. Also bought some corn and apples at a farm stand down the road from Rota Springs.

Here are some more pictures:
IMG_1320.jpg

This vent isn't entirely off topic, but it's still a vent. Cooking oil sprays frustrate me. They may be a wonderful invention, but their spray function only works intermittently and I don't know how to make it work when it won't.

Any tips?

Thanks,

Gillian

I found that the spray with "flour" in it would clog up or actually just clog up around the nozzle itself and make a mess. Shaking and wiping well lhelps but I also don't buy the type with the flour in it anymore.

This vent isn't entirely off topic, but it's still a vent. Cooking oil sprays frustrate me. They may be a wonderful invention, but their spray function only works intermittently and I don't know how to make it work when it won't.

Any tips?

Thanks,

Gillian

hmmm.. I've not had that problem with the Pam brand I've used for years.. I do make certain that I shake well before using..

Ross

I use the Pam brand as well and don't have a problem with the spray. The nozzle on the Pam can has to be turned in a specific direction. The spray side has to align with the red dot on the top of the can.

SO uses Baker's Joy and has had no issues with it.

Here is a petty vent. DH when you get up in the morning before me, please do not talk endlessly to me when I first get up until I have had at least 1 cup of coffee. Thank you.
(for further details, see breakfast thread) lol

I just remembered something about spray paint that might apply. When you are done spray painting, turn the can upside down and spray to get the paint out of the nozzle before it dries. That might help with the cooking spray to clear the nozzle before it gums up.

I just remembered something about spray paint that might apply. When you are done spray painting, turn the can upside down and spray to get the paint out of the nozzle before it dries. That might help with the cooking spray to clear the nozzle before it gums up.

This could help BUT depending on how often you use the can, you can run out of propellant. I have.

Also take note at the angle you are using the can. If you are tilting it a great deal, you could be shifting the contents higher than the tube carrying the oil up.

I was woken a bit after 7 this morning by the sounds of construction and people walking on the roof. It's loud. I couldn't get back to sleep. It has taken me this long to be sort of awake. I'm not a morning person. The best we can figure, is the neighbour is having emergency roof repair. I'm glad it's not raining in my bedroom. Been there; done that; do not recommend.

Last edited:
I was woken a bit after 7 this morning by the sounds of construction and people walking on the roof. It's loud. I couldn't get back to sleep. It has taken me this long to be sort of awake. I'm not a morning person. The best we can figure, is the neighbour is having emergency roof repair. I'm glad it's not raining in my bedroom. Been there; done that; do not recommend.
I wish I could sleep till 7. I'm up a 4 every day.

My neighbour phoned. She had just gotten home. She parked her car in the basement garage, so she entered her home through the basement. Her basement door is in the same corridor as mine. This is what she saw outside my basement door. It's the garbage that the carpet installers left behind, without telling us. And to make it worse, someone tore open all three bags. I would have had no idea what it was, if I hadn't recognized the carpet scraps. I haven't been driving, so we haven't been going out through the basement door.

The reason that there is a bicycle in the picture is because we found Stirling's missing bicycle just sitting, out in the open, in the garage. We're lucky that no one stole it. We had asked the company handling the repairs where the bicycle was and gotten no answer. I'm spitting angry. The insurance company is getting a call on Monday.

Attachments

• IMG_20191222_133531.jpg
    IMG_20191222_133531.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 111
Over did it yesterday
By bedtime, my left foot was saying bad things to me. I made two batches of cookies, cream cheese frsting, divided colored and flavored the daughter frostongs with cinamon, maple, and hazlent. Lrft the majority of it as cream cheese frosting. Frosted the cookies
Washed a load of dishes, and all of the sharp knives. Honed the knives as well
All of this was done before DW ever got out of bed. She got up and stated that we had a lot to do. I showed her what I'd already done, from a wheelchair
O asked her to make me some scrambled eggs. She onstead had me oder a grocery delivery from Meijer
I didn't get any food unti after 5 pm. She said that I missed some items on rhe shopping order and tried to order them on her tablet
It took forever and never got finished. The oven was still on as I was going to bake bread loaves, and sandwich rolls and buns. I made the bread dough, divrded it into 5 loaf-sized portions, with leftover dough for torpedo buns. I then went to bed at about midnight. DW was going to stay up and bake bread. I got up this morning and was told that the oven quit workin. She finished the one loaf in the countrtop convection oven. The hot surface igniter in the gas oven went bad. I can get 5 times the work done without DW's help as I can with it. So that's what I'n venting about. Maybe if I could have used yhe gas oven in a timely manner, it would still be working
(heavy sigh)

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom