Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That really sucks, CW. As bad as it all was, I suppose it could have been worse...four new tires, your Dad didn't fix supper, etc... Still, you need a (hug).

...My other pet peeve with tires are the ones that are stored underneath the car. Really? Try living on a dirt road and remove that if you haven't dropped it every few months to clean it and lubricate the cables, etc.
I would like to get my hands on the brainiac who decided putting the spare under the floor of the trunk is better than end-on at the side. Every time we go somewhere I fear we'll have a flat with the trunk completely stuffed with stuff. Fortunately, no flat. Sure hope it stays that way!

Thank you, you are a dear person. Just remember to take time for yourself, even if it's for a hour wander through the mall or a couple hours in the library. Take yourself out for lunch and do not be afraid to look/ask for help. You are a star in your Mother's life and an inspiration in mine.

Thank you so much, she always tells me she doesn't know what she would do without me.

I try to get a walk around the perimeter of our neighborhood every day or two or the exercise, but days I have to go to the grocery store or run errands I don't worry about it too much.

What really surprise me was on Thursday, every seat in that room is taken. There isn't always enough regular staff to do all the chores that are needed at lunch time. That is when everyone leaves their offices and comes out to help pass out the plates, cut up the patients food, or any other needed service. Social workers, Dieticians, etc. They all pitch in. And there are three such locations through out in this organization to care for our elderly.

Addie, when Mom was first in rehab for the aneurysm I was there from 8am to 6pm 7 days a week, helping her eat, helping her CNA give her a bath, making sure she stayed dry and clean. There were 2 days that I went in the afternoon instead because I had to pay bills and run other errands each month. As she got further along in her rehab, I was able to leave after lunch most days and even go after lunch and just eat supper with her. At all 3 meals, I would see every single per who worked there was helping out with patients who needed help - even the director herself!

Addie, when Mom was first in rehab for the aneurysm I was there from 8am to 6pm 7 days a week, helping her eat, helping her CNA give her a bath, making sure she stayed dry and clean. There were 2 days that I went in the afternoon instead because I had to pay bills and run other errands each month. As she got further along in her rehab, I was able to leave after lunch most days and even go after lunch and just eat supper with her. At all 3 meals, I would see every single per who worked there was helping out with patients who needed help - even the director herself!

Yup, it is what they do. They, like Princess does, dedicate themselves to caring for the elderly. A lot of time a thankless job. My medical plan is all inclusive. Meaning it is Part D of Medicare. The only difference is that I live in my own home, but should I need anything, I have it. I am presently in the midst of my six month checkup. That means the folks from each department come to my home to see how I am doing. If I should need any help, it is here within hours. They have aides that are in the building 24 hours a day. They make sure that patients of theirs that live here get this meds taken on time, get up out of bed, fed breakfast, washed and dressed and ready for day care. The van comes and brings them to the center. Fortunately, I don't need the services of the aides yet.

I don't need all of their services. But if the day comes when and if I do, I know that they will take care of me. Every six month the folks from OT, PT, Social worker and the dietician come to my home to make sure I can do all the things I say I can. Can I get in and out of the tub safely, can I use the stove and prepare my meals safely, do I have any needs that I want, but do not presently have. There are times when I feel they are too invasive into my life. But I am grateful for their presence. And so are my kids. And I did ask for a stool, not the bench they gave me 10 years ago for the tub. Standing in the shower creates a lot of pain in my legs. So I sit down on the edge of the tub for a few minutes. That was yesterday I asked for the stool, it will be here today at 2 p.m. No questions asked.

That really sucks, CW. As bad as it all was, I suppose it could have been worse...four new tires, your Dad didn't fix supper, etc... Still, you need a (hug).

I would like to get my hands on the brainiac who decided putting the spare under the floor of the trunk is better than end-on at the side. Every time we go somewhere I fear we'll have a flat with the trunk completely stuffed with stuff. Fortunately, no flat. Sure hope it stays that way!
Thanks for the hug. I have no idea to which school those industrial designers/engineers went, but go on a 3000-mile road trip in remote terrain and then see how practical it is to have the spare stuffed up where and last only how many miles? REALLY???? Oh, not to mention the flat tire's lug nuts are so frigging tight you need to carry an extra piece of 2-ft, 1-inch pipe (that rattles and clanks every time you cross the railroad tracks) and a gorilla to pounce on it to loosen them. Good luck with finding a motel/hotel room that allows a gorilla, even a sort-of small one. It is hard enough to find places to stay in the back of beyond that allow a small dog, never mind the gorilla you bring along to help change a flat tire.

Last edited:
Since I've owned my car I had to change out a flat twice on the side of the road, at night. I drive an old Honda Cr-V with a full spare tire mounted exterior on the tail gate. I love that.
I do that with my Volvo but it is behind the passenger's seat--never have anyone in the backseat (maybe that''s where I could teach the gorilla to ride). Screw that donut tire. It is still there, I think, just in case.

Yup, it is what they do. They, like Princess does, dedicate themselves to caring for the elderly. A lot of time a thankless job. My medical plan is all inclusive. Meaning it is Part D of Medicare. The only difference is that I live in my own home, but should I need anything, I have it. I am presently in the midst of my six month checkup. That means the folks from each department come to my home to see how I am doing. If I should need any help, it is here within hours. They have aides that are in the building 24 hours a day. They make sure that patients of theirs that live here get this meds taken on time, get up out of bed, fed breakfast, washed and dressed and ready for day care. The van comes and brings them to the center. Fortunately, I don't need the services of the aides yet.

I don't need all of their services. But if the day comes when and if I do, I know that they will take care of me. Every six month the folks from OT, PT, Social worker and the dietician come to my home to make sure I can do all the things I say I can. Can I get in and out of the tub safely, can I use the stove and prepare my meals safely, do I have any needs that I want, but do not presently have. There are times when I feel they are too invasive into my life. But I am grateful for their presence. And so are my kids. And I did ask for a stool, not the bench they gave me 10 years ago for the tub. Standing in the shower creates a lot of pain in my legs. So I sit down on the edge of the tub for a few minutes. That was yesterday I asked for the stool, it will be here today at 2 p.m. No questions asked.

That is so good to hear, Addie. We're thinking about having our bathroom remodeled so that we can get one of those tubs that have the door that opens and such. Mom still has such a hard time getting in and out o the tub that she washes up using the sink in the bathroom. I also am having a hard time getting in and out of the tub to shower but not as hard as mom.

That is so good to hear, Addie. We're thinking about having our bathroom remodeled so that we can get one of those tubs that have the door that opens and such. Mom still has such a hard time getting in and out o the tub that she washes up using the sink in the bathroom. I also am having a hard time getting in and out of the tub to shower but not as hard as mom.

My son installed one of these for me in my tub. The shower head slides up and down to adjust to height of whoever is using the shower.

Delta 2-Spray Slide Bar Hand Shower in White-51521-WHB - The Home Depot

Then he also installed a small grab bar right outside the tub for me.

Croydex 15 in. Small Hand Rail in Chrome-QA103541YW - The Home Depot

My medical plan is paying for me one of these. It should be here today.

https://www.amazon.com/NOVA-Medical...981590&sr=8-2&keywords=small+stool+for+shower

Poo is a (or was before becoming disabled) plumber. He has gone on so many repair call for the walk in tub.

1. They tend to spring leaks very easily. Very difficult and expensive to repair.
2. You have to sit there naked until the tub fills once you close the door.
3. After you take your nice warm bath, you again have to sit there until the tub drains.
4. Two serious times for an elderly to become chilled very easily.

Those tubs are very expensive to install. Can be as much as over $10,000.00. And you also have the addition of paying for the removal and disposal of the old tub. So please give it some serious thought. Consider installing a standup shower for her with the items I showed you that Spike installed for me. She will still need that grab bar for when she comes out of the shower. Make sure you measure where she would place her hand as she steps out. Too high or too low will not serve her.

Last edited:
Rather have a shower then a tub, it is easier for you to help her shower in the future.
There are many form of shower stools , so she can sit down and do her cleaning and with a hand held shower head you can help her out more.

None slip flooring is a good idea, same with grab bar and even a grab bar by the toilet. You need to make this home elderly safe.

I ran out of 'edit' time. Sure it is great to sit in a nice hot tub relaxing. But sooner or later it becomes close to impossible to sit down in that tub and try to get out without assistance. When I moved into this apartment, I thought "Oh good! I have a bathtub I can relax in." It had been years since I lived in an apartment that had a tub. They even put grab bars along the length of the wall. Those bars are useless in trying to get yourself out of the tub. They are placed way to high up to reach from a sitting position. It took me twenty minutes before I could pull myself up. They are there to grab in case you start to fall. It sounds like both you and your Mom would benefit most with a standup shower. They comes in different sizes. Some folks feel claustrophobic in a small shower. Take Mom with you and try "on" showers. If you should decide to go this route, you will need grab bars right next to where she sits at the right height so she can pull herself up as well as one outside the shower so she feels secure. She needs to feel the security of those grab bars.

I have a girlfriend whose father is in his 90's. They work together in the same office. She complained to me one day that he was beginning to smell. She didn't have the heart to say anything to him. I mentioned the grab bars and the possibility of not feeling secure enough to stand in the shower anymore. We had the same conversation I have written to you here. She got on it right away and had her handyman install grab bars the same day. Her father took a shower as soon as he left the house. Good luck! Let me know what you decide.

Give some thought to what I have said to you. I wish you and your mother the best.

Last edited:

My MINI CooperS doesn't have a spare tire. It came from the factory with run-flats, which we car enthusiasts call "run rocks," because they ride and handle like Flintstones tires. I don't have those anymore.

If I get a flat, I either have to plug it on the side of the road, or if it isn't roadside repairable, call a tow truck. So far, it hasn't happened.

CD

Addie & Cake Poet, thank you both or your input. Like I said, it was just a thought - albeit a fleeting one now that we think about everything that you two fine ladies pointed out. I will do much more research before deciding anything for sure.

Oh if I could only remember the web site for handicap and elder care, they have great ideas for bathroom and it is in English too.

Back
Top Bottom