Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So far I haven't had to run the AC, but it's getting warm at night. No likey. The bedroom ceiling fan has been sufficient, for now...

Okay, Vent!

Dang it!
All of a sudden it hit the mid 80's here in the middle of the desert... we had freezes over night just a week or so ago, dang it!!!
I FINALLY gave in this afternoon and turned on the AC, DANG IT !!!
:LOL:

Reality check Kgirl.....be happy you have AC!!
Did you have it in Hawaii?
I've lived in this area all my life, and for the first time I have AC in this house. I'm thankful every time I need to turn it on. ;)

I've been going back and forth between heat and AC for weeks. It's 85 one day, and 55 the next. That, or I'll turn the AC on when I go to bed because I'm hot, and I'll wake up cold.

CD

I live in an all electric condo. Southern California. I can't figure for the life of me how my last 3 bills were $215 and now these last two months are $55. I'm not doubting the electric meter or me heating up my condo in the morning during these last chilly
4 months, but wow, $210 to $55? These high electrical costs happened last year too. I didn't run up electricity baking every night. It just seems inordinate. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I live in an all electric condo. Southern California. I can't figure for the life of me how my last 3 bills were $215 and now these last two months are $55. I'm not doubting the electric meter or me heating up my condo in the morning during these last chilly
4 months, but wow, $210 to $55? These high electrical costs happened last year too. I didn't run up electricity baking every night. It just seems inordinate. :rolleyes:
Do they do estimated bills in between meter readings?

Do they do estimated bills in between meter readings?

Not sure. What a radical jump tho. $225 for 4 months, then now $55. The overnight temps were a little low, and I cranked up the heat in the morning. I think that's where they really hit me. It's a tier system or something. They jump me up in electrical costs during certain months each year, even tho I maintain a pretty steady electrical usage, with the exception of cranking on the HVAC heater in the mornings a bit more, heh. Bingo!

Last edited:
Not sure. What a radical jump tho. $225 for 4 months, then now $55. The overnight temps were a little low, and I cranked up the heat in the morning. I think that's where they really hit me. It's a tier system or something. They jump me up in electrical costs during certain months each year, even tho I maintain a pretty steady electrical usage, with the exception of cranking on the HVAC heater in the mornings a bit more, heh. Bingo!

You could compare the number of kilowatt hours you've used over the last several periods to see if that explains it. Also see if the rate/KWH has changed.

If that doesn't answer your question, call the electric company.

Lost my glasses so I went to the eye Dr to order some new ones. Just happens that my prescription is up this month. They squeezed me in right away. My contact prescription did not change but I officially have bifocal lenses in my glasses now. They cost an extra $400. Oh but the good news is because I don't have vision insurance if I bought another pair of frames I get another set of lenses free. So I picked out a cheap pair of frames and got prescription sun glasses. By cheap I mean $145 because all the others were near 200 bucks.

Lost my glasses so I went to the eye Dr to order some new ones. Just happens that my prescription is up this month. They squeezed me in right away. My contact prescription did not change but I officially have bifocal lenses in my glasses now. They cost an extra $400. Oh but the good news is because I don't have vision insurance if I bought another pair of frames I get another set of lenses free. So I picked out a cheap pair of frames and got prescription sun glasses. By cheap I mean $145 because all the others were near 200 bucks.

I get my eyes examined by my eye doctor every year. But I order all my frames on line. My doctor will not give you a copy of the script until you have the frames in hand. Then by law he has to give you the script if you ask for it.

When you see the prices on line for the frames and compare them to what your doctor charges, you realize the BIG difference and saving in price.

I get my eyes examined by my eye doctor every year. But I order all my frames on line. My doctor will not give you a copy of the script until you have the frames in hand. Then by law he has to give you the script if you ask for it.

When you see the prices on line for the frames and compare them to what your doctor charges, you realize the BIG difference and saving in price.

Addie, at the time of your examination, your doctor is required by law to hand you your prescription with no strings attached. All you have to do is ask for it at the time.
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0116-prescription-glasses-and-contact-lenses

I've been seeing my optometrist since 1994, and he's had the same technicians - one does the testing and the other the fitting and adjusting - since then (the first one's daughter is the receptionist/office manager [emoji38]). Joyce works with me to get affordable glasses, especially since I had to quit work several years ago. They're great [emoji813] Oh, I did ask for the script once; it seemed like too much of a pain to do all that myself when they're happy to help me, so I just work with them on it.

Addie, at the time of your examination, your doctor is required by law to hand you your prescription with no strings attached. All you have to do is ask for it at the time.
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0116-prescription-glasses-and-contact-lenses

The law varies state to state. I prefer it this way. So many folks have no idea of how to measure their eyes. The script doesn't tell the distance between the pupils. Not every site on line have very clear explicit instructions for "how to." My eye doctor has told me that he has had at least four patients who got their glasses on line and found them to be wrong and unable to see clearly. And that was last year. I can't help but wonder how many have walked into his office this year and are wondering why they can't see.

Also my eye doctor has the facilities on site to make up the lens within three days. A lot faster than a lot of doctors I have heard of. Some can tell you two weeks or longer before your glasses will be ready. The more expensive the frames you choose, the quicker you will get your glasses. I have been wearing glasses since I was five years old. This is the first eye doctor that actually believed me when I said that I do not use my left eye. And he is the first eye doctor that I feel I can trust.

My MA eye doc always handed me my script right after the exam, Addie. He runs a one-man operation, so he finds that it's easier for patients to go elsewhere then come back to make sure things are OK. He will fill the script, though...but he really isn't proficient with adjusting the frame for comfort. :neutral: If I was getting new glasses, I would get them elsewhere due to insurance requirements. Most of the time, however, I just needed new contact lenses. Those I always order from an eye doc. Now I need to find a new eye guy - my previous one isn't on my insurance doc list.

I've been seeing my optometrist since 1994, and he's had the same technicians - one does the testing and the other the fitting and adjusting - since then...
That's how it is back at our OH doctors' office. :heart: I started going to the dad back in 1970. His sons took over when he semi-retired. I still stop at the office when we're in visiting the kids - they sell contact lens solution kits (wetting and cleaning solutions, lens case, half-dozen enzyme cleaners) for the same price one bottle of solution costs in a store. The office manager is still from back then, and so are the lens technician and frame guy. I love that kind of service! Just another reason to get back home...

Back
Top Bottom