Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CD, do you know how to intentionally move your diaphragm? I find that the most successful way of getting rid of hiccoughs. I lift it and lower it very sharply. A few times usually gets rid of them. I have been told that hiccoughs are because there is a "wave" in the diaphragm and the sharp up and down straightens it. Give it a shot. It's worth a try.

I was having a bad day until I drone over the GW bridge tonight and remembered seeing the police trying to talk someone down from jumping off the GW bridge this morning. My day wasn't that bad, I guess.

I was busy all last night, especially from 4:30 AM until around 11 AM, the I went home to get some sleep. When I woke up, I saw that my wife (who has a black thumb) decided to re-pot a new Princess Palm plant that I had bought recently, and specifically asked her several times not to do anything to it until it stabilizes in its new environment for a few months by the kitchen slider doors. But, she decided it was ugly without a pot, so she put it in a huge, fancy pot with no holes in the bottom for draining, and used very heavy, loamy potting soil. Exactly the 2 things you shouldn't do. So, I have to dump it out tomorrow, drill holes, and replant it with the right soil. I hope it lives.

Then, a few minutes later my son asked if he could fly this little camera drone that I bought online the other day. I told him not to fly it too high, or near any trees. He flew it for about 30 seconds, straight up into the uppermost branches of an 80 foot tree. And it's wedged in there good. So much for my new drone.

Maybe the guy on the bridge was just looking for his drone?

I was having a bad day until I drone over the GW bridge tonight and remembered seeing the police trying to talk someone down from jumping off the GW bridge this morning. My day wasn't that bad, I guess.

I was busy all last night, especially from 4:30 AM until around 11 AM, the I went home to get some sleep. When I woke up, I saw that my wife (who has a black thumb) decided to re-pot a new Princess Palm plant that I had bought recently, and specifically asked her several times not to do anything to it until it stabilizes in its new environment for a few months by the kitchen slider doors. But, she decided it was ugly without a pot, so she put it in a huge, fancy pot with no holes in the bottom for draining, and used very heavy, loamy potting soil. Exactly the 2 things you shouldn't do. So, I have to dump it out tomorrow, drill holes, and replant it with the right soil. I hope it lives.

Then, a few minutes later my son asked if he could fly this little camera drone that I bought online the other day. I told him not to fly it too high, or near any trees. He flew it for about 30 seconds, straight up into the uppermost branches of an 80 foot tree. And it's wedged in there good. So much for my new drone.

Maybe the guy on the bridge was just looking for his drone?

About a year ago, I heard a weird "thumping" noise on the front of my house, and my dog soon went nuts at my office window. I looked out the window, and some adolescent boy was throwing rocks from my landscaping at the tree in front of my house, and the rocks were hitting my house. So far, none had hit windows.

I ran outside, and found out they little moron was trying to knock his cheap drone out of my Elm tree. Long story short, I ended up on a ladder with a long tree pruner and got the drone down.

I then calmly explained to this future MBA or member of congress that, throwing rocks at a tree with windows behind it was a bad idea.

CD :LOL:

Lol, yeah, it takes time to teach a child to think beyond just what they want to accomplish at that second. Every action has consequences.
The rise of mobile devices has made that expinentially worse.

Just how far is all this new technology going to take us? Sooner or later there is going to be a major mishap and hopefully folks will stop and think before they just have to have that.

Just how far is all this new technology going to take us? Sooner or later there is going to be a major mishap and hopefully folks will stop and think before they just have to have that.
They're talking about children, Addie. This technology is pretty cool with lots of potential applications. There's always a period of adjustment and learning with any new technology. But computers have a lot of advantages over typewriters, right? Or would you rather trade yours back? ;)

I've had success stopping hiccups by holding my breath, but doing more than that. While in the state of holding your breath, try and go into a truly relaxed state. This requires mind over body in a way. Do more than just hold your breath, that won't work.

Last edited:
re: hiccups

My way is to swallow 10 times - without breathing in between swallows.
LOL - I can barely make it - the 10th time is a struggle - but it seems to work!

Hope you got some sleep!

It’s 95F in here. Every damn 2 years we need to fight with Sears to fix their piece of crap air conditioner. We actually only get 1 full summer from the a/c. Every 2 years without fail on Memorial Day weekend it goes. We pay for service and it takes till July to get a new one because old one can’t be fixed! This is the 3rd replacement. One year the service guy sprayed some crap in the a/c to supposedly clean it. The result was a burned out electric socket. The house would have burned down if we weren’t here. Smoke then flames came out of socket. Hub wouldn’t sue them. This Hub finally gave in this year and let us buy another brand from Best Buy. Will be delivered and installed next Monday. Hopefully this one will last longer than 2 years.
I remember when Sears products were good. But Kenmore now sux!

Last edited:
Store bought bread slices now. The smaller size is ridiculous now. A slice of bologna dwarfs it.
One day, 60 minutes will do a segment on bread companies and how they operate.

Last edited:
In the Netherlands bread is sold in two weights, so even if a loaf looks big, it might just be the smaller weight and mostly air.

No, some places are definitely making smaller loaves. We've noticed it particularly in a couple of places we go to for breakfast and lunch sammies. I'm guessing it's so they can cut down on costs and not have to go up on price.

If your bread packaging seems a little loose now, it's because they still use the same size packaging from days gone by when bread slices were bigger. You're getting more but smaller sized slices now, the weight is the same as before. See how they think? More is better. I hate how my bologna slices hang outside the bread now. :mad:

Factoid: Ancient Roman soldiers ate 6 lbs. of bread a day. They subsisted on it.

Just 6 bakery companies control all the bread consumed these days.

Last edited:
Why is it, people learning to play the guitar always pick on "Smoke on the Water?" Guy next door is mangling it badly, in Missoula the guy upstairs did the same thing. Shrek finally taught the guy upstairs and then he could play it passably. I don't have the same resource with this guy out with his electric guitar and amp.

I remember back in the day, "Stairway to Heaven" was a popular go-to for many learning to play the guitar.

Back
Top Bottom