Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Caslon, lately we've been buying individual burger buns from the bakery section of the grocery store. They are better quality and they're fresh when I make the burgers with no need to take up precious freezer room for extras.

Last couple of years I've been buying those "thin" buns.

Get several uses for them. Firstly they freeze well, toast well, make panini's OK and - especially hamburgers that don't fall thru the bottoms plus you can wrap your mouth around them when the burger is "fully loaded".

Last couple of years I've been buying those "thin" buns.

Get several uses for them. Firstly they freeze well, toast well, make panini's OK and - especially hamburgers that don't fall thru the bottoms plus you can wrap your mouth around them when the burger is "fully loaded".
Same here. We buy some called "One Bun". They come in whole grain.

I usually end up using 6 hot dog rolls before they start to turn. 8 packs of large burger buns are another matter. There's no way I have 8 burgers before they end up needing to be replaced (they freeze lousy). I wish they made those in 4 and 6 packs.

I like using slider buns. The burgers are smaller so I end up using most of the package per grilling session.

I like using slider buns. The burgers are smaller so I end up using most of the package per grilling session.

I may go to making 2 sliders or two "Wimpy" bun sized burgers instead of making larger burgers on larger sized buns. Does anyone notice that the big sized buns available at supermarkets aren't near as good as the big sized buns used by fast food drive thrus? The major burger chains have a deal with bakeries to make it their way. Nothing wrong with that.

You can buy large better burger buns, just like theirs, you just need to order 5,000 of them. ;)

Last edited:
What Happened To Saying Thank You?

It seems to be in my nature to want to give things to other people, be it gifts of material objects or food; I share what I have or make.
Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve noticed that lots of folks don’t say thank you anymore; show no gratitude, nothing.
This has been bothering me and I know that I shouldn’t feel this way, but --- forget this noise.
I must stop torturing myself this way and not give anymore.
It’s like I give a piece of me and it’s simply taken with no regard, so callously.
I wanted to take gifts along to our large Family gathering in Virginia but my husband told me, “Why? No one will care.” How sad.
I just needed to put that out there into the universe.

It seems to be in my nature to want to give things to other people, be it gifts of material objects or food; I share what I have or make.
Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve noticed that lots of folks don’t say thank you anymore; show no gratitude, nothing.
This has been bothering me and I know that I shouldn’t feel this way, but --- forget this noise.
It’s like I give a piece of me and it’s simply taken with no regard, so callously.
I wanted to take gifts along to our large Family gathering in Virginia but my husband told me, “Why? No one will care.” How sad.

I love to give too. Food, garden stuff, gifts we make, thoughtful little things. It's better to give than to receive. Pay attention to who says thank you, it matters, remember those people. Also you might meet people who will say thank you and then think to give you something during their abundance. That's how we make friends and do trades. Just like the colonists and the indians made friends.

I've got a long list of 'non-thankers' and I don't think of them often.

The people I know here in Virginia have better manners than that.

Here's just another thought to consider Kgirl.

When someone is as generous as you are with gifts, people on the receiving end can get a little weird about being gracious. It could be they are caught off guard and embarrassed about having nothing to give in return. Too bad they end up looking like jerks instead.

Last edited:
Here's just another thought to consider Kgirl.

When someone is as generous as you are with gifts, people on the receiving end can get a little weird about being gracious. It could be they are caught off guard and embarrassed about having nothing to give in return. Too bad they end up looking like jerks instead.
That's a good point. K'girl, if you're giving the same people gifts over and over again, and they aren't the type to reciprocate, they might start to feel uncomfortable about it.

But your relatives won't have any such concerns [emoji2]

Auto recording to my social security administration to fix that I can't even log into my newly created SS web account. Upon trying to log in, I got ..."You have been blocked, we tried 3 times to verify the information you provided us", try again in 24 hours." I filled out the original register correctly, how hard can that be?

That's not my gripe, stuff happens, especially on a huge US SS site.

I now have to settle this mix up by showing up at my local SS office. To do that, I need to make an appointment. I called up to do so and got the recording of how long I will have to be put on hold to be directed to the next SS rep to do so. "One hour".

I must have called at the wrong time when things got busy there.

I might just as well show up at their office and be seated among dozens of other ppl sitting in chairs waiting to be called.

Hey, I just want to be able to log onto my SS web account! I cannot fix that without going to my local SS office, *sigh*

Last edited:
Caslon, lately we've been buying individual burger buns from the bakery section of the grocery store. They are better quality and they're fresh when I make the burgers with no need to take up precious freezer room for extras.

Me too!

I buy more and more single servings of food to help me control carbs and portions.

At first, it seemed expensive to me but over time I've found that paying more for a single item is actually cheaper because I use so much less and waste nothing. The higher quality is a bonus!

K girl, I taught all of my kids their manners. From saying 'thank you' to the boys standing up when a woman enters the room. There are times I say thank you too much. I even have managed to get my kids to say "Your Welcome."

Being in this wheelchair, when my driver comes to pick me up for an appointment, he holds the door open for me to exit. One of the drivers told me I didn't have to say "Thank You" because it is his job to help me make my life easier. I in turn reminded him that good manners are never out of place.

Being in the situation I find myself, there are days when I am in a lot of pain. I have to make a strong effort to remember my "Thank You." Pirate is my caretaker, and without even asking, he sees I need something and will jump to get it for me. A wheelchair reminds you of just how helpless you can be. So a simple "Thank You" never hurts. Even if it is your own child helping you.

If you go empty handed this time, maybe they will get the message and hopefully learn their manners.

My husband is stuck several miles away. Why, you may ask, well the trains cant go, no problem , there will be a bus instead, oki oh we forgot to order enough buses, you have to wait for the next one.
Thank God a friend is coming to get him, guess what next buss, oh we didn't except there to be 2 full of buses more, you have to wait for the next one....

Yeah it only his surprise birthday party in 1 hour and he should have been home 4 hours ago. I guess it will be surprise when the guest of honour isnt here..

Auto recording to my social security administration to fix that I can't even log into my newly created SS web account. Upon trying to log in, I got ..."You have been blocked, we tried 3 times to verify the information you provided us", try again in 24 hours." I filled out the original register correctly, how hard can that be?

That's not my gripe, stuff happens, especially on a huge US SS site.

I now have to settle this mix up by showing up at my local SS office. To do that, I need to make an appointment. I called up to do so and got the recording of how long I will have to be put on hold to be directed to the next SS rep to do so. "One hour".

I must have called at the wrong time when things got busy there.

I might just as well show up at their office and be seated among dozens of other ppl sitting in chairs waiting to be called.

Hey, I just want to be able to log onto my SS web account! I cannot fix that without going to my local SS office, *sigh*

In the past I was able to retrieve my forgotten log in info without having to physically go to SS, even with the 24-hour hold. Maybe things are different now.
They also have extra security measures where every time you log on they'll send you a one time use passcode to complete your log on process.

I love to give too. Food, garden stuff, gifts we make, thoughtful little things. It's better to give than to receive. Pay attention to who says thank you, it matters, remember those people. Also you might meet people who will say thank you and then think to give you something during their abundance. That's how we make friends and do trades. Just like the colonists and the indians made friends.

I've got a long list of 'non-thankers' and I don't think of them often.
When my cousin inherited the family cabin, the caveat was we all could use it. I have tried to help pay maintenance and taxes he won't let me. I always make sure to being something--a case of wine, a rechargeable battery charger (cordless) for the boat, a hammock, gourmet vinegars and oils. I also always send a thank you. Of course I bring my own food, sheets, towels, etc.

We manage to party for 3 hours before my husband came home, people had a chance of hugging him and talking for 10 minutes before they went home...

Yay for the rail way.

Kayelle, GG and Addie
I appreciate your support!
I am really just not in-to mainland folks right now,
sorry
but having been back home where we "Live Aloha"
it's been a true culture shock for me coming back to the desert.
Surprising of all, it's my family and friends that have disappointed me the most :(

Case in point: I was driving DH and I to somewhere or another, and I stopped to let another drive go, DH snaps, "You don't need to be Miss Aloha here, just go!" :huh:

Kayelle, GG and Addie
I appreciate your support!
I am really just not in-to mainland folks right now,
sorry
but having been back home where we "Live Aloha"
it's been a true culture shock for me coming back to the desert.
Surprising of all, it's my family and friends that have disappointed me the most :(

Case in point: I was driving DH and I to somewhere or another, and I stopped to let another drive go, DH snaps, "You don't need to be Miss Aloha here, just go!" :huh:

Don't ever stop being "Miss Aloha", we love you here and appreciate you! Hugs and sloppy smooches on the cheek.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom