PF's New House

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Addie, I've seen that happen too when I lived in the city. There aren't a lot of multiple unit dwellings in the suburbs. You live in a single family home. Then you buy a nicer one and sell your current one. You need the money from the first house to buy the second house. If the timing doesn't work out and your sale is delayed but you have to close on the new home, you have to go to the bank and get a bridge loan to hold you over.

Addie, I've seen that happen too when I lived in the city. There aren't a lot of multiple unit dwellings in the suburbs. You live in a single family home. Then you buy a nicer one and sell your current one. You need the money from the first house to buy the second house. If the timing doesn't work out and your sale is delayed but you have to close on the new home, you have to go to the bank and get a bridge loan to hold you over.

But then when you are ready to retire, you sell the triple decker and move to the suburbs. Fewer landlord headaches. Or you give up the second floor and move to the first. Get more money for the second floor for your retirement. The problem there though is that you don't want kids overhead.

Andy, as I kid I remember one of my friends father paid the grand sum of $5,000 for a triple decker. Now today that is only a partial payment for the monthly mortgage payment. :angel:

Here in the city where I grew up, most of my friends that I grew up with would buy a triple decker. (Three apartments high.) They lived on the first floor, renovated the second floor, and rented out the top floor for income. When the second floor was done, they moved upstairs and then rented out the first floor. They lived almost rent or mortgage free while the rental incomes from the other two floors paid the mortgage.

I personally have never had the desire to own my own home. Too many headaches. Let the landlord do the worrying and repairs. :angel:

So it's "most folks that [you] grew up with" and not "most folks." I don't think that's common throughout the country. In newer areas over the last 50 years, most people have bought single-family homes. And many owners of single-family homes fix up their homes at least somewhat to make them appeal to the most buyers. Not everyone wants to buy a home that needs work.

The great thing about having your own home is that you can fix it up however you like. Landlords usually restrict what you can do.

Sure owning your own place is a lot of work and responsibility, but I wouldn't trade away the fact that our house is OURS or we can do as we wish (without being rude neighbors) for any landlord. And this is being said by someone whose dear spouse just doesn't "do" repairs.
free-rolleye-smileys-323.gif

...many owners of single-family homes fix up their homes at least somewhat to make them appeal to the most buyers. Not everyone wants to buy a home that needs work...
That was the comment made by our OH realtors when I had them over to my parents' home for dinner. Wanted them to point out the important stuff that should be done, so I bribed them with food. :LOL: Jan's argument was that Loverly and I could soldier through a complete bathroom overhaul with a lot less pain than a two-income-with-children couple could...in a one-bathroom home. :ohmy: We restored a LOT (kitchen bath, porch, driveway) but we passed off a nice, sturdy home. Good feeling.

Last edited:
So it's "most folks that [you] grew up with" and not "most folks." I don't think that's common throughout the country. In newer areas over the last 50 years, most people have bought single-family homes. And many owners of single-family homes fix up their homes at least somewhat to make them appeal to the most buyers. Not everyone wants to buy a home that needs work.

The great thing about having your own home is that you can fix it up however you like. Landlords usually restrict what you can do.

Having lived in several different states all across the country and visited quite a few to see friends, Boston does have some unique housing features. Even our tax base is different. A lot of towns and cities I have seen have a separate tax for schools. Not Boston. One property tax and the City or Town will divvy it up among the needed services.

We also have "triple deckers." An east coast type of housing. Although I once saw three of them standing all alone in Tacoma. They were all identical, such as they are in Boston and were probably six/seven roomers. The were one of the more upscale type. Very large front porch on all three floors.

As a small kid, living on the farm on Cape Cod, all the housing was single family. I can't recall ever seeing a multiple family building. Today, the Cape is covered with Condos.

Building single family homes in the city doesn't happen too often here. Financially, it is not worth it for the home owner. Just two doors from my daughter, they just built a large two family home. Someone has to help pay for that new home and it is going to be the tenant. And you can bet the rent is going to hit at least $2,000 a month. :angel:

Now, I had to go back and get a second look at the shower curtain. LOL Beautiful! I love how it matches the tile around the sink and some of your turquoise cans of beauty supplies. Perfect!

When we bought this house, it was contingent on our selling the old house. When we had the closing, we closed on the first house, then didn't even leave the room, and the people we were buying from just came in and sat down for our closing. That was on a Friday. We had to be out of our house since it was sold, and we only had the weekend to get moved, so on Saturday we moved into this house within a half hour of the other people moving out. Fortunately for me the woman was a good housekeeper and the house was immaculate! Hasn't been that clean since! LOL

Now, I had to go back and get a second look at the shower curtain. LOL Beautiful! I love how it matches the tile around the sink and some of your turquoise cans of beauty supplies. Perfect!

When we bought this house, it was contingent on our selling the old house. When we had the closing, we closed on the first house, then didn't even leave the room, and the people we were buying from just came in and sat down for our closing. That was on a Friday. We had to be out of our house since it was sold, and we only had the weekend to get moved, so on Saturday we moved into this house within a half hour of the other people moving out. Fortunately for me the woman was a good housekeeper and the house was immaculate! Hasn't been that clean since! LOL

The Realtor was just astounded that I liked the color of the walls in the bathroom, when I got the shower curtain up I had to show her why I was so pleased.

I am going to paint the bedroom about two shades darker in a moss green, the trim in brown and the closet doors in a woodland scene. The curtains for the bedroom should be here soon, they are a brown and floral pattern.

I got more of the yard done today, ruined my tennis shoes, so I went and got some wellies to wear when I am gardening. Got the rest of the Virginia Creeper off the fence, pruned the ash trees on the property line and started digging up my flower bed in the front. The yard is starting to come together, I'm putting the sod and dirt I am digging out of the flower bed on the low spots in the yard. Once I have the sod rinsed of dirt I will re-seed the front.

The backyard and the south side of the house are projects for next spring.

I love your new house! It is very nice! I showed it to Joyce and she likes the bathroom sink also. I like the living room with its wealthy colors.

She had one comment: "Those aren't cats, those are mountain lions!"

~Cat

I love your new house! It is very nice! I showed it to Joyce and she likes the bathroom sink also. I like the living room with its wealthy colors.

She had one comment: "Those aren't cats, those are mountain lions!"

~Cat

Tell Joyce she has a vivid imagination! LOL!

The color in the livng room is what made me fall in Love with this house. The owners were worried they would not find a buyer because of the dark paint, but we Love it. Makes for a nice Ogre hole.

I love the color too PF. Our color is even deeper called Rasin, and that's a good description..a very dark red brown. I've not grown tired of it and I bet you won't either.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom