Question about sausage gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Can I make sausage gravy for over biscuits with Italian sausage? Or does it have to be sage breakfast sausage?

Absolutely, use what you have!

You can also make a nice mushroom gravy using Baby Bella brown mushrooms and traditional sausage seasonings.

As I have mentioned before, I'm Sicilian so I have done a lot of things with Italian sausage, but I have never tried it for biscuits and gravy. If you really really like Italian sausage, it will work just fine.

For a traditional down south biscuits and gravy, get yourself a roll of Jimmy Dean' pure pork sausage, or the generic equivalent.

0007790011553_A

I doi think that the fennel and basil in Italian sausage give it a distinct flavor that probably wouldn't work for me personally. Hungarian sausage with added spices works well though. I sometimes use just ground pork with added spices and lots of pepper. I also occasionally will thaw a pork tenderloin (I've got several in my freezer) and use a portion of it run through my food processor and save the rest for a different meal. If you do that, make sure it's not completely thawed and chunk ot into cubes before running it through. If you use completely thawed it will turn into a paste.

Why do you use tenderloin? You are grinding it so why not use a cheaper and tougher cut?

To me, that's sort of a waste of tender, melt in your mouth meat! There is hardly any fat compared to other cuts and I should think you would want that. No?

Why do you use tenderloin? You are grinding it so why not use a cheaper and tougher cut?

To me, that's sort of a waste of tender, melt in your mouth meat! There is hardly any fat compared to other cuts and I should think you would want that. No?
A whole tenderloin is usually two pieces and too much for the two of us for a regular meal. When I make the gravy, I fry the ground pork tenderloin in butter so there's the added fat. I buy pork tenderloins on sale for $1.99 lb which is cheaper than ground pork or sausage generally. If the pork tenderloins are not frozen, I will have the butcher grind them for me and portion them out to freeze (for meatballs, bolognese sauce, etc.).

We do like the melt in your mouth aspect in the gravy. My husband makes sausage with his cousins once a year so we usually get 20 pounds for ourselves so I don't often use pork tenderloin for sausage gravy. I just meant I would rather use pork tenderloin with my own spices rather than Italian sausage, personally. It's all about what one has on hand and I generally have plenty of tenderloins.

Ahh, ok. I understand.
I often buy tenderloins. As they often come 2 to the package, I have to open the vac pac to separate them. I freeze one and the other is perfect for me as 2 meals. Medallions and/or stir fry.
I also buy the pork loin when it's on sale. I cut one or maybe two for small roasts and the rest I cut into slabs for chops. Some of those I butterfly as well. I get a good variety.
At the moment the freezer is so full I can't get one even if it should come on sale. Like a lot of people - I really have to start eating just out of the freezer!

I like to use pork tenderloin in fried rice or Iowa State Fair pork tenderloin sandwiches. Thats a breaded and fried pork tenderloin sandwich and it's yum.

At the moment the freezer is so full I can't get one even if it should come on sale. Like a lot of people - I really have to start eating just out of the freezer!
I get it. We have a garage chest freezer but it still gets full. I "shopped" out of my freezer for this trip.

We really couldn't afford this trip if we were going out a lot but my husband has been severely depressed over his mother's diagnosis of liver cancer and it might be out last trip for awhile.

The pork butt (top portion of the front shoulder) is the perfect ratio of fat and lean. It's what is usually used for sausage meat. It's also about half the price of tenderloin.

The pork butt (top portion of the front shoulder) is the perfect ratio of fat and lean. It's what is usually used for sausage meat. It's also about half the price of tenderloin.
That's a lot of meat. Where I live a pork butt or shoulder is about 10-13 pounds and costs about $1.49 lb. (on sale) and I get tenderloin for $1.99 lb

That's the cut husband and cousins use for sausage though.

Last edited:
That's a lot of meat. Where I live a pork butt or shoulder is about 10-13 pounds and costs about $1.49 lb. (on sale) and I get tenderloin for $1.99 lb

That's the cut husband and cousins use for sausage though.
Around here pork butts are 7-8 pounds and regularly go on sale for less than a dollar a pound.

We also have regular sales on pork butt at $0.99 a pound, sometimes $0.89. We bought a boneless pork butt of just over 3 pounds for $1.29 not on sale within last couple of weeks. I sliced off a few pieces for char siu and froze the rest, which Craig will be using for green chile stew soon.

If we buy a whole bone in butt and Craig isn't going to smoke it for pulled pork, then I break it down, into big chunks for roasts and small chunks for stews, then freeze.

@Jusa , has your hubby tried his smoker yet? A pork butt would be a good first project since it's pretty forgiving.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom