Question: Grilling and Frying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can also fry potatoes for home fries at a lower temp than I would fries.

May take longer to cook them, but they would still be fried, wouldn't they?

yep, that would still be frying imo. my fave home fries are cooked in bacon grease at fairly low temp, i guess to allow some of the grease to be absorbed by the spuds, but normally you wouldn't want too much fat to be absorbed...

ok just to make the conversation more convolluted: my sil makes eggs in enough oil that they don't really touch the bottom of the pan. i call it poaching in oil, but i guess it's really deep frying... (and btw, they're disgusting)

Last edited:
Rainee said:
The United States Department of Agriculture says barbecue is any meat "cooked by the direct action of heat resulting from the burning of hardwood or the hot coals.

Not to belabor this point (but I will :ROFLMAO: ) ...

Using the USDA definition of BBQ, grilling and BBQ can be the same thing.

I like your definition of BBQ better!

EDIT: Nevermind.

BTW, is this George Foreman thing a good substitute for backyard 'grilling'? I used it to cook a steak last weekend, a really thick one, maybe 1 1/2" and I ended up burning the top before it cooked all the way through ... my b/f recommended reducing the heat and letting it cook longer so it's more even. Maybe I should get a cast iron grill. :ermm:

I'm glad we went over this fat verses not fat thing with cooking ... next I want to try grilling salmon, and the way I made it on the skillet was to use olive oil. I didn't know if I should olive oil on the Foreman grill or not! :ohmy: I'm thinking no .... what about the seasoning I put on the salmon?

Last edited:
jennyema said:
Not to belabor this point (but I will :ROFLMAO: ) ...

Using the USDA definition of BBQ, grilling and BBQ can be the same thing.

I like your definition of BBQ better!

The difference is the in time.

Grilling hot & fast
BBQ low & slow

Rebam, I think you misunderstood. Rainee is talkiing about putting a frying pan on the grill and using the heat from the coals to fire up her pan before cooking - not actually frying directly on the grate.

Don't have a George Foreman gadget, but I usually broil salmon or use my grill pan on top of the stove. I like salt, pepper, and dill on salmon, but that's just me. When I broil it I usually slather some oil or butter on first, then add seasonings. Haven't cooked any outside yet, but I think I would first try wrapping in foil (seasoned first) and not cooking it too long. Nothing worse than dry fish.

Season it before you cook it. Marinade it or use a rub, etc.

Pan sear and deglaze

There's only way to cook eggs and that's in a non-stic pan. When you hear grill in relation to eggs it's when the "grill" is a griddle or large flat cooking surface.
A grill pan has nothing to do with grilling. It's an invention not a method of cooking based on technique.
Only similarity between grilling and grill pan is the way the finished product looks.
The point of grilling is yes there is very little fat (though I like to dress items for grilling with extra virgin, chilis, grated garlic , herbs and corriander seed) and that it picks up that great woody smoky flavor from the juices burning on the coals (the big hype now is that this will cause cancer).
Frying is done in a pan. I like to use a heavy guage stainless pan. Non stic is fine but there will not be the sticky bits left in the pan that get reconstituted into the sauce when you deglaze. Although the finished product from non stic saute is a bit more aesthetically pleasing because those drippings and spices stick to the item being seared. You really need to use plenty of oil.
Too little oil will give you a nasty dry fry. The item can be set on cardboard or paper to absorb the oil and will certainy the excess oil from the pan will be discarded. Check out the pan sear and deglaze videos atif you don't have quicktime download it free from the site It's worth it!

Last edited:
How funny, and I haven't read the entire thread. When a kid, living half-and-half in Europe and out west, that hunk of metal in the yard was called the barbecue pitt, and anything you cooked on it (always with charcoal) was barbecued. To this day in places I've lived things are called barbecue that wouldn't pass muster by eastern standards. Santa Maria Barbecue (one place I've lived) is really grilled by that standard, and Hawaiian/Korean barbecued meat is also grilled. Then I lived in the southeast, and you'd better ****ed well say grilled and differentiate between that and what I'd generally consider smoked. Sauteed was something cooked in a few tablespoons of oil and moved about in the pan very quickly (actually sautee and, if I remember correctly, chow, really have about the same meaning and really refer to the movement of the food in the pan). Frying means a lot more oil (at least a quarter inch), and you don't move the food except to turn it over once. Deep frying means you immerse the food in oil. One thing that has been mentioned, but needs to be emphasized, is that these terms came about before teflon, propane grills, grill pans. When the terms were coined, grilling meant cooking on a grill, not your stove. sautee-ing and frying meant oil, period. You couldn't sautee or fry in a dry pan, period. You'd ruin that great cast iron pan if you didn't put some oil in it (i.e., season it), and the steel one would be a mess. The terms were coined in a different world than the one we live in now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom