Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Please keep your bees on a leash. It is not fun when strays take up residence in an attic. :ohmy:[emoji38]

CD
Individual strays will die by themselves. He's watching them carefully for swarm preparations because a nuc (a swarm captured before it leaves the hive) with a mated queen is worth almost $200. He sold three last year.

Individual strays will die by themselves. He's watching them carefully for swarm preparations because a nuc (a swarm captured before it leaves the hive) with a mated queen is worth almost $200. He sold three last year.

Only 200 bucks? It cost me $350 to get the bees out of my house. Another 500 to tear out my soffit and remove the hive so more don't move in. :ermm:

CD

Only 200 bucks? It cost me $350 to get the bees out of my house. Another 500 to tear out my soffit and remove the hive so more don't move in. :ermm:

CD
Not sure how your situation is relevant to what I said...

People who WANT TO RAISE a hive pay to get a certified-healthy starter.

People who WANT TO REMOVE a hive pay for someone else's expertise to have it removed and yet someone else's expertise to fix the damage caused by the removal.

People who WANT TO RAISE a hive pay to get a starter.

People who WANT TO REMOVE a hive pay for someone else's expertise to have it removed and yet someone else's expertise to fix the damage caused by the removal.

And then whoever got the bees out of your house could sell them.

People who WANT TO RAISE a hive pay to get a certified-healthy starter.

Were you born without a sense of humor, or did you lose it somewhere along the way? :rolleyes:

CD

And then whoever got the bees out of your house could sell them.

Well... they didn't actually "get them out." To be more accurate, they killed them. It cost so much, because you have to have a beekeeper kill them. An exterminator won't mess with honey bees.

CD

Well... they didn't actually "get them out." To be more accurate, they killed them. It cost so much, because you have to have a beekeeper kill them. An exterminator won't mess with honey bees.

CD
That's quite strange. No experienced beekeeper I know would kill them unless it was absolutely necessary. When they capture the queen, all the other bees follow her into a box. The beekeepers club we belong has people on call who will remove a swarm or hive for free because, as Taxy said, they can then sell them or augment their own bee yard.

Last edited:
That's quite strange. No experienced beekeeper I know would kill them unless it was absolutely necessary. When they capture the queen, all the other bees follow her into a box. The beekeepers club we belong has people on call who will remove a swarm or hive for free because, as Taxy said, they can then sell them or augment their own bee yard.

It is hard to capture a queen that is inside a remote part of a house, such as a hive in a soffit. So, in this case, it was "absolutely necessary."

BTW, I'm overweight, out of shape, and ugly, but I am at least moderately funny. :cool:

CD

It is hard to capture a queen that is inside a remote part of a house, such as a hive in a soffit. So, in this case, it was "absolutely necessary."

BTW, I'm overweight, out of shape, and ugly, but I am at least moderately funny. :cool:

CD
Might be hard but it's not impossible. I've seen pictures of the president of our beekeepers club taking out part of an exterior brick wall to remove a hive. Without a suit or gloves.

Might be hard but it's not impossible. I've seen pictures of the president of our beekeepers club taking out part of an exterior brick wall to remove a hive. Without a suit or gloves.

Yeah, um, as much as I like honey, I'm not taking a section of house apart (especially bricks) to save one bee hive. :ermm:

If the hive had been in an accessible part of the attic, I would have been fine with a live removal.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programing. :)

CD

Yeah, this is quite the boring conversation.

My chard, spinach, and the bolting lettuce, as well as a closer view of the hives. I need to find a new birdbath top for watering the bees. *Someone* neglected to empty it during the winter and frozen water broke it.
0410191733.jpg0410191734_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
My brother John and I went out to lunch today. Rather than go home afterwards, we decided to take a couple of back roads and check out the local wildflowers. So glad we did. The sky was a little cloudy, but the flowers were breathtaking. :flowers:
wildflowers2019.jpg

wildflowers 2019 2.jpg

Cheryl, those flower photos are gorgeous! Did you take them? I especially like the tiny blueish flowers sharing the spotlight with the poppies in this second photo:

attachment.php

Now I know that I need to get some sleep. I read your post as "Did you take them" to mean did you pick all of them. I had to go back and reread it slowly.

Good night folks, pleasant dreams for everyone.

All your pictures of green are making me jelous. Here's some snow.View attachment 34389

Left the house on April 5 for a golf tournament in Denver. Beautiful day, perfect for golf on Saturday. Then Sunday on to visit my sister in Grand Junction in western Colorado. Again great weather for our trip to Arches National Park on Monday (photos to follow). Tuesday was still nice but mostly cloudy as we toured the Colorado National Monument (more photos). I planned to drive home Wednesday, but that was the day the blizzard hit eastern Colorado and shut down most of the highways that I had to take to get home. Once a gain we didn't get hit as badly as Jon did in Nebraska, but any snow with 60 mph winds is very hazardous to drive in, even if they don't close the roads.

Now the photos:

From the trip to Arches:

Along the Colorado River near Moab UT
i-tVRLfWS-L.jpg

i-5Kn5KcZ-L.jpg

Some of the fantastic geological formations in the park
i-tVrwxsR-L.jpg

Delicate Arch from the lower viewpoint (I'm no longer capable of the tough 3 mile hike to the base of the arch)
i-pDfDX6q-L.jpg

Colorado National Monument:

i-72WDhkT-L.jpg

i-zC39Rzw-L.jpg

Nice scenery, RPC! Good exposures -- the skies look great, and really nice shadow detail. Um, watch your horizon lines. The Earth is kind of tipping in a few shots. That really stands out in landscapes.

Overall, Thumbs up!

CD

Back
Top Bottom