Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chopper, when I lived in Texas, my landlord used to process deer. Some folks wanted the antlers, most didn't. He sold the big ones to folks whose deer they had shot had a very small rack. Who wants to brag about that small deer they shot with a small rack. BTW, each year members of the deer family put a new point on their antlers. So if you see one with five points, you know it is five years old. And there are always the same amount of each side. :angel:

Not in Pennsylvania. The amount of points just happens based on genetics and nutrition.
Think about it. How could a five point have the same amount of points on each side? ;)

A couple cell phone pics from yesterday.
I almost stepped on this little guy. I guess he thought I couldn't see him because he never moved, even when bending down to take his picture.
View attachment 18441

And a gold colored snake. He was just a little guy, pencil thin and about a foot long. I told him to stay away from Hoot's place :LOL:
View attachment 18440

Last edited by a moderator:
Here you go, Andy.
Neat little story behind this one. Governments contract out the weapons they issue to their military. Argentina had hired Colt to produce for them a 1911, which they called an M1927 for the year put into use and eventually Argentina purchased the equipment and licensing from Colt to make it themselves (I have one of those, too, but it's pretty whooped). Meanwhile, a couple guys with an auto and tractor engine manufacturing plant came up with their own simpler, cheaper version, the Ballester-Molina. Some say the design was more robust because it lacked some of the features a regular 1911 pistol has.
Britain, being in a bit of a bind to produce their own weapons at the time contracted out to have 8,000 to 10,000 B-Ms made for their special ops people between 1942 and 1944. This is one of them. It has the B issue number and British proofs. Then it was returned, put out of use and inspected and proofed again for civilian purchase over there. Then it found its way over here before it had to have an import stamp put on it, which makes a firearm more desirable.

No, no no... not even stone throwing, let alone kissing.
Military firearms have their own tree, but there are some commercial firearms that were inspected and used by the military. Or officers that wanted a small pistol for their pocket and just bought it themselves.
Do you know in Japan the officers were required to buy the pistols they were issued? How nutty is that? :wacko:

None taken, Andy.
I guess it's based on the 1911, but only one or two parts are interchangeable.
It's like saying a propane grill is based on a charcoal grill.
The charcoal grill might have been the inspiration, but that's where it ends ;)

View attachment 18535

We saw the biggest wind farm I have ever seen in eastern colorado on our trip. They went on for miles and miles!

They're great...unless they're near a residential area. Those motors have this annoying "hmmmm" that is audible if you are too close! Thank goodness there aren't any near us. I much prefer the sound of a solar array.

They're great...unless they're near a residential area. Those motors have this annoying "hmmmm" that is audible if you are too close! Thank goodness there aren't any near us. I much prefer the sound of a solar array.

Reminds of the story of a guy with an oil pump in his backyard. He was asked if the noise from the pump bothered him and he said, "Nope, that's the sound of money."

Big controversy on wind turbines in my town. Nobody wants them except the farmers whose land they would be going on. Lots of town meeting and such. They were just approved with a compromise on setback from adjoining property lines. They are supposed to be quite annoying when the sun hits them a certain way and they cast flickering light through your windows, too. There's a term for it.

Big controversy on wind turbines in my town. Nobody wants them except the farmers whose land they would be going on. Lots of town meeting and such. They were just approved with a compromise on setback from adjoining property lines. They are supposed to be quite annoying when the sun hits them a certain way and they cast flickering light through your windows, too. There's a term for it.

They're not great for migrating birds, either.

That, too.
I'm telling you, between the fracking, the sewer and the wind turbines our elected officials will be lucky to be around after their terms are done. It's been one thing after another for the past year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom