Random Photo Thread: The Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The South Platte near Iliff, CO this morning. Lots of ice floating.

i-8NTHjbZ-XL.jpg

It's looking like we will have cold for the next week and more, so I was looking for something warmer. I came across this one that I took last August while we were waiting for the eclipse to start.

i-kF7QrL4-XL.jpg

Two more great picks Rick. The second one made me smile..what a peaceful spot to watch the eclipse. I'm curious if the animals had any reaction to it?

Last edited:
Two more great picks Rick. The second one made me smile..what a peaceful spot to watch the eclipse. I'm curious if the animals had any reaction to it?

I didn't notice anything from those in this photo, but shortly before the start of the moon passing, several flocks of birds came from different directions to apparently shelter in the trees in back of the empty farmhouse where we were watching from the front yard. It seemed too well timed to just be a coincidence, and within about 5 minutes, the eclipse began.

Nice spot for eclipse viewing, RP. Our field was plain grass, no horses, no goats - unless it's OK for me to call Himself an Old Goat. :LOL:

"Squidworth, Mom?"
"No thanks, honey, I'll pass."

Attachments

• 20171230_214148.jpg
    20171230_214148.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 126
The current weather situation in much of the country reminded me of this shot I took some years ago. We got about 7-inches of snow, a rare thing, and I had an Audi allroad quattro, so I was able to get way outside of where most people could go, and got this shot in pristine snow, early in the morning.

BTW, that is not a greyscale image, it is RGB color.

CD

Attachments

• SnowDay.jpg
    SnowDay.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
The current weather situation in much of the country reminded me of this shot I took some years ago. We got about 7-inches of snow, a rare thing, and I had an Audi allroad quattro, so I was able to get way outside of where most people could go, and got this shot in pristine snow, early in the morning.

BTW, that is not a greyscale image, it is RGB color.

CD

Nice shot Casey. I've always found winter photography to be difficult. Too many earth tones for my eye. I like natural landscapes, but I like to have at least some happy colors in them too. Winter is too brown in Colorado most of the time.

Nice Casey... but I'm already half frozen. Would really rather like to see a picture of crocus' peeking thru. :LOL:

Not a crocus, but a warmer image. I scanned this shot of lowly dandelion from an Ektachrome transparency I took nearly 40 years ago.

i-zxN7K7f-L.jpg

Then a lily in an African river in the Okavongo Delta in Botswana:
i-FxscD5g-L.jpg

And the Colorado State Flower, the Blue Columbine - like the dandelion, shot on transparency film about 40 years ago:
i-bkBVHZd-L.jpg

Last edited:
Nice photos, guys. Although your shot is captivating, CD, I prefer RP's right now. When your thermostat seems to be stuck in single-digits, it's nice to be reminded that warmer days will show up again.

Cheryl, we think Loverly is lovely, too. Bonus: she's just as pretty "inside" as she looks. :heart: We're very blessed in that we have two kind, compassionate kids. :angel:

Maybe I should have posted that photo in August.

Bringing August to you now, or June or July. When we need it most.

Looking at Rick's picture of Colorado Columbines reminded me of our own state flower, A pink and white lady slipper orchid. We had a patch of these growing at our lake place in a bit from the lake shore, through some brush that we couldn't remove because it was considered part of the shore line and in front of some pine trees. It is illegal to pick / alter/ harvest these plants, so we would go stand around them in early summer and ooh and ahh, and shoot photos.

This photo is a google copy of the pink lady slipper.

Attachments

• minnesota-Lady Slipper.jpg
    minnesota-Lady Slipper.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 99
Last edited by a moderator:
Took this back in Feb '16 - Sentinels rising over the frozen forest.

Think I posted it before but it may have been with photobuck.

and I think of the next one as Tolkien trees bowing to the Ice God

and yes, I'm still frozen...

Attachments

• 20160218_144628.jpg
    20160218_144628.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 20160217_065726.jpg
    20160217_065726.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 110
Okay, a summer photo from Italy. This shot was taken from my table at a restaurant in Firenze (Florence). It is a shot of the Ponte Vecchio. Nice warm colors.

CD

Attachments

• Ponte Vecchio-Firenze800600 .jpg
    Ponte Vecchio-Firenze800600 .jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 97
Okay, a summer photo from Italy. This shot was taken from my table at a restaurant in Firenze (Florence). It is a shot of the Ponte Vecchio. Nice warm colors.

CD

Italy is a great place for photography. All I had when I was there was a point and shoot camera... got a few good shots but I wasn't thrilled with a lot of the photos I took there, and jpegs are so much harder to make adjustments on to bring back what I was intending to have in the image.

Back
Top Bottom