Roast Beef Recipe Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goboenomo

Head Chef
My teacher's favorite food is roast beef, so I told him I'd find him a nice recipe he can make for him and his wife.

Got any ideas?

Well, here's an idea for a teacher's salary... ;)

Pot Roast
Recipe By :The American Culinary Federation
Serving Size : 10

5 pounds Beef roast -- boneless (cross-cut rib, bottom round, eye of round)
2 teaspoons Salt
1/2 teaspoon Black pepper -- ground
2 fluid ounces Oil
6 ounces Onion -- small dice
2 ounces Carrots -- small dice or sliced thin
2 ounces Celery -- small dice or sliced thin
4 ounces Tomato puree
10 fluid ounces Dry red wine
32 fluid ounces Brown Veal Stock
1 each Sachet d'epices

Trim the beef and season it with the salt and pepper.
Heat the oil in a braising pan over high heat. Sear the beef on all sides in the hot oil until evenly browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer the beef to a pan, cover loosely with foil, and keep warm.

In the same pan, add the onions to the oil and cook over medium high heat until they are tender and lightly browned, 5 minutes. Add the carrots and celery and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the carrots are slightly browned, another 3 minutes. Add the tomato puree and cook until it is very aromatic and slightly reduced, 2 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture is pasty, 3-4 minutes.

Add the wine and stock and whisk to combine and work out any lumps. Bring the braising liquid to a simmer. Return the beef to the pan. It should be covered by about two-thirds; add more stock if necessary. Cover the pan and place it in the oven. Braise the beef until it is nearly tender, turning it every 20 minutes to keep the meat evenly moistened, about 2 1/2 hours.
Add the sachet, replace the cover, and continue to braise the beef until it is fork-tender, another 60 minutes.

Transfer the beef to a pan, moisten with a little of the sauce, cover loosely with foil, and let rest while finishing the sauce. Place the braising pan over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer. Use a flat spoon or skimmer to remove any grease from the surface. Simmer until the sauce has a good flavor and consistency, about 10 minutes; thin with a little additional stock if necessary. Strain the braising liquid through a fine wire mesh sieve, taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Keep the sauce very hot. Carve the beef into slices against the grain. Serve 6 ounces of the sliced beef with the 2 fluid ounces of hot sauce on heated plates.
-----

and here's one if he/she feels a little more affluent...

* Exported from MasterCook *
Standing Rib Roast au Jus
Recipe By :The American Culinary Federation
Serving Size : 25

14 pounds Beef rib roast
Salt -- as needed
Pepper -- as needed
1 1/2 pounds Mirepoix (12 oz. onion, 6 oz. each: carrots & celery) -- medium dice
2 quarts Brown Stock

Trim excess fat from the roast, leaving a-1/4 inch thick layer to baste the beef as it roasts. Season the beef with the salt and pepper. Place it on a rack in a roasting pan with the fat layer and roast it to an internal temperature of 130°F.

Add the mirepoix approximately one-half hour before the roast is done and allow it to brown. Remove the roast and let it rest for one-half hour. Clarify the fat and reduce the pan drippings. Drain off the fat and reserve it.

Deglaze the roasting pan with the stock. Simmer the just briefly and strain.
Carve the roast into slices against the grain. Serve on heated plates with the jus.

This is a simple one and easy to make. The sauce will make a gravy when done.

approximately 3 lbs. roast beef
1 package dried onion soup mix
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/3 cup A-1

Blend ingredients together and pour over roast. Cover and bake at 350 for 2 1/2-3 hours until meat is tender.

Roast with Horseradish Sauce

Preheat oven to temperature 325°F. Season roast with salt and pepper to taste. Heat oil in a heavy flameproof casserole over medium-high heat. Sauté roast 2-3 minutes until brown on all sides. Transfer to oven and roast 22 minutes per 1 lb for medium rare meat. Cook longer if desired. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting into thin slices and serving with sauce.

Horseradish Sauce:

1/2 cup heavy cream whipped
1/3 cup steak sauce
3 T. horseradish sauce
sliced scallions

Blend together and refrigerate.

Is it like HB sauce.... I dont know if ive seen A-1 before.

Thanks for the recipes.

Yeah, I've definently never seen that.
I could probably stick with HP.

Wikipedia has a direct link from HP to A-1.

I just prepped a pot roast this morning, on my way out the door for work. Here's the strange yet easy combo that went in:
  • 3lb beef for roasting
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 5 medium yukon potatoes, cut into approx 1" cubes
  • 3/4 packet dried Ranch Dressing mix
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup Coca Cola
I layer the potatoes, then 1/2 of the onions, then the roast, then the dressing, soup and Coke, then some more onions. Set it on low for 8 hours or so and it's actually quite tasty! Can't wait to get home and smell the roast all though my apartment building.:ROFLMAO:

lawchick04 said:
I just prepped a pot roast this morning, on my way out the door for work. Here's the strange yet easy combo that went in:
  • 3lb beef for roasting
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 5 medium yukon potatoes, cut into approx 1" cubes
  • 3/4 packet dried Ranch Dressing mix
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup Coca Cola
I layer the potatoes, then 1/2 of the onions, then the roast, then the dressing, soup and Coke, then some more onions. Set it on low for 8 hours or so and it's actually quite tasty! Can't wait to get home and smell the roast all though my apartment building.:ROFLMAO:

Sounds YUMMY - just copied that!

Actually, I've copied them ALL!!!!!

cjs said:
and here's one if he/she feels a little more affluent...
Standing Rib Roast au Jus

One doesn't need to be affluent, you just have to know the butcher :chef:

I had a butcher argue with me once when I told him I wanted a bone in standing rib roast. He actually said to me, "No, you want boneless." No, I want bone in. "No, you want boneless." Listen up, chucklehead, I said BONE IN! Sheesh!

I don't care for turkey at all and ham is just so-so in my book, so when the holiday season rolls around I make standing rib roast (a.k.a. "prime rib") from a recipe my mom cut out of the newspaper when I was still a teen. It's so easy even a monkey could do it and it comes out perfectly, every time:

5-7 lb. bone-in standing rib roast
3-4 cloves garlic, cut into slivers
ground thyme
salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 500F. Trim most of the fat from the roast (but not all). Cut small slits all over the top and insert slivers of garlic. Pat salt, pepper and thyme onto the beef. Place the roast, rib-side down, in a roasting pan. Place roast in oven and immediately turn the heat down to375F. Roast for 1 hour. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR. (Very Important!)

Turn the oven completely off. Again, do NOT open the oven door. Let the roast stand for 2 hours. Turn the oven on again at 375F. Roast 40 minutes for medium-rare roast, 55 minutes for medium. Remove from oven. Let stand 10 minutes (loosely tented with foil) before slicing. Slice in 1" thick slices using the rib bones at the bottom as a guide. Cut sideways across the bones to release the slices.

NOTE: Save the meaty roasted bones for making beef stock OR, if you're so inclined, you can turn them into beef BBQ'd ribs. Where I live beef BBQ is practically a sacrilege. But we were doing an art show in Houston, TX a couple of years back and a restaurant actually had BBQ Prime Rib on the menu so we gave it a try. Quite tasty! So when I got back home I dug the prime rib bones out of the freezer... you can guess the ending!

Fraidy

abjcooking said:
This is a simple one and easy to make. The sauce will make a gravy when done.

approximately 3 lbs. roast beef
1 package dried onion soup mix
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/3 cup A-1

Blend ingredients together and pour over roast. Cover and bake at 350 for 2 1/2-3 hours until meat is tender.
Try using beefy-onion soup mix and canned condensed golden mushroom soup instead for a different take on things. I'd limit the A-1 (steak sauce) to a Tablespoonful... just my preference.

Cuisine at Home, a magazine, had an excellent recipe for a pot roast using dark beer and pretzels in the mix. I am not a fan of beef pot roasts, but the flavor was outstanding. If you would like the recipe, send me a private message and I will copy and send it to you.

Last edited:
Do you want a roast beef that is sliced and rare and delicious or a pot roast that is sliced and well done and delicious? You need entirely different cuts of beef and price commitment.

Gretchen said:
Do you want a roast beef that is sliced and rare and delicious or a pot roast that is sliced and well done and delicious? You need entirely different cuts of beef and price commitment.

If I want a well done roast I simply do a chuck roast, usually slow-cooked. For a truly outstanding rare beef roast I'll pony up the money and buy a standing rib (bone in, as I previously mentioned). It's my choice meal for the holidays since I really don't like turkey and to me ham is more well suited to being diced and added to potatoes au gratin :) or thinly sliced for ham & cheese sandwiches.

Fraidy

You know, we are not flush, and we have roast beef quite rarely, but when we do we buy a good cut and enjoy it. We have it, of course, with a yorkshire pudding or we have beef wellington, which really is one of my very favourite meals. By having the yorksire pud, or the pastry of the weelington, you need less meat to provide a groaningly fillin meal. I substitute fois gras for a pate, and its good, and cheaper (and I don't feel the guilt!).

FraidKnot said:
If I want a well done roast I simply do a chuck roast, usually slow-cooked. For a truly outstanding rare beef roast I'll pony up the money and buy a standing rib (bone in, as I previously mentioned). It's my choice meal for the holidays since I really don't like turkey and to me ham is more well suited to being diced and added to potatoes au gratin :) or thinly sliced for ham & cheese sandwiches.

Fraidy

The question was really for the original poster and what you posted was my point also. Both kinds of beef "roast" can be delicious but they are quite different animals.
There is pot roast beef and there is roast beef.

Back
Top Bottom