Rosemary fresh or shaker bottle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about for baking little potatoes? Ground up dry rosemary generally do the trick?
That would work. I'd mix ground dried rosemary with salt, pepper and olive oil and toss the mixture with the potatoes before roasting.

Depending on how much you have, you could put branches of rosemary in the bottom of a baking dish and roast potatoes on top of it.

That would work. I'd mix ground dried rosemary with salt, pepper and olive oil and toss the mixture with the potatoes before roasting.

Depending on how much you have, you could put branches of rosemary in the bottom of a baking dish and roast potatoes on top of it.
I like the branches on the bottom idea! Could do that with almost anything, no?
At least with ingredients that match.

I was actually thinking of placing a branch on top of my rice in the cooker. Thought the branch was too big and would be too strong a flavour. Of course, then after I thought... 'and what would be wrong in cutting the branch to a smaller piece?'
:doh: :bangin:

Where I live, rosemary plants are practically everywhere in people’s gardens. I vaguely remember a television chef down here saying how wonderful and easy it was to grow, and then promptly proceeded to cook a bunch of really rubbish meals using it.
It’s so ubiquitous in gardens here that I just pop out, taking the dog for walk, and snap a few twigs off other people’s trees (they can easily and quickly get out of hand). Bit naughty, yes, but I think it’s okay because the rosemary is growing out onto the kerbside.
I would absolutely never plant one in my garden, they just grow like wildfire!

Grandma said to always grow rosemary by the garden gate. Supposedly it brings luck, wards off witches, etc. Of course, there are medicinal properties. And it does deter some pests and attracts pollinators. :)

I use a lot of dried - cannot seem to keep any alive in the house. Other than my rosemary bush for several years, but not since. Basil sometimes I can keep a grocer's pot for awhile. But all others fail.

I refuse to pay $3 or $4 for a tiny 50 gr (or 80?) package then use only one sprig and have the rest rot. I now try to remember to throw the balance in dehydrator (or dry in micro - much faster).

I use a lot of dried - cannot seem to keep any alive in the house. Other than my rosemary bush for several years, but not since. Basil sometimes I can keep a grocer's pot for awhile. But all others fail.

I refuse to pay $3 or $4 for a tiny 50 gr (or 80?) package then use only one sprig and have the rest rot. I now try to remember to throw the balance in dehydrator (or dry in micro - much faster).
I wrap leftover fresh herbs in waxed paper, held in a roll with a rubber band. I use a Sharpie to write the name of the herb on the waxed paper. Then I put it in a plastic bag with other herbs, each in their own waxed paper wrapper and shove it the freezer. Some kinds, like parsley, dill, and cilantro, I just hold all the stems together and start making thin cuts across all the stems until I have as much as I want. Then I wrap up the rest and put it back in the freezer. I don't even have to mince it further. Those thin cuts have usually already minced it.

I grew rosemary one time in a pot during winter, then I murdered it by watering it and fertilizing it (mildly). Keeping it watered killed it. I read later after my conviction of murder that it likes to be ignored more, like a dry arid plant.

We have rosemary growing all over the place out in the fields, doesn't need water or any attention, but the one I have in a vase out in the yard just needs irrigating about once a week.

I tend to use fresh basil most often, but only because I have a rosemary bush in my garden. I tend to use sprigs in cooking, that I take out at the end before serving. I generally do the same with thyme.

CD

I grew rosemary one time in a pot during winter, then I murdered it by watering it and fertilizing it (mildly). Keeping it watered killed it. I read later after my conviction of murder that it likes to be ignored more, like a dry arid plant.

I get three or four years out of a rosemary plant in my garden in North Texas. It is very durable. We had temperatures over 110F this summer, and a long drought. I watered my garden once a day, and the rosemary did great.

It also survives winter weather, including snow.

Eventually it gets too "woody" for my liking, and I replace it.

CD

Last edited:

Can herbs be frozen for long?

Can herbs be frozen for long?
I would say that they are best for the first 2 to 4 months. It varies by herb. But, even after a year, they will still provide flavour and aroma. I just use a bit more. The frozen herbs will not make attractive garnishes when they thaw out.

I freeze chopped basil, thyme, parsley, marjoram, and oregano. Our rosemary is fresh all year so I don't bother with freezing it.
I have found no taste difference in the basil frozen in 2021 and 2022 (haven't used any from this year because we have fresh). Same for the other frozen herbs. I've even added them to butter and frozen the herb butters.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom