Rosemary fresh or shaker bottle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Long cooking times I tend to prefer dried, well crumbled. I might finish with some fresh a few minutes before its done

I suspect dry would be OK in long cooking recipes while fresh would be better for a quick flavor blast.

I used to think rosemary was a good flavored herb, like thyme and oregano, but that was until I had the fresh. Even though it still has a lot of flavor dried, it looses a LOT of flavor, sort of like sage, in which much of an essential flavor component is lost, while another isn't nearly as volatile, so most remains. Sage is one where sometimes the dried might be more desirable, due to the difference, but I can't think of anything like this with rosemary.

When I first got seriously into cooking, rosemary was my favorite herb. I even put into pasta sauce.

I use rosemary fresh--finely chopped in a dish, a sprig or two on the side for garnish. If you are not confident of your knife skills, use dried and put the amount between two pieces of waxed paper and run a rolling pin over it until it is the consistency you want.

I use it dry when I'm making an herb/spice mix. In general, woody herbs like rosemary, sage and thyme that evolved in the dry, breezy hillsides around the Mediterranean maintain their flavorful essential oils pretty well. Fresh rosemary can be pretty strong, so use with care. One way we like to use it is to put fresh whole sprigs on pork chops while grilling. They get gently infused with the aroma.

I don't think there is a way to rehydrate and still be able to swallow. Those little needles are sharp and are never really soft in the first place.

Usually fresh rosemary is finely minced when added fresh. Ground to almost a powder when added dry.

Other than gently brushing the food with a rosemary branch - I don't know of any other way to use it.

I haven't tried to rehydrate rosemary. I almost always have a rosemary plant growing in a pot that I can get fresh leaves off of. They are very easy to grow.
You have harsh winters, do you grow it inside? I have tried growing it in the garden and it never makes it through winter (Midwest USA).

I like it with lamb (in the marinade) and that's about it. I have done it with pork loin and roasted garlic with new potatoes and that was pretty good, but not my favorite.

I've always kept it in a pot and brought it in and out. Would never survive the winter here.

20131212_133924.jpg
One year when I brought it in it suddenly started flowering. Flowered every year for about 3/4 years then suddenly died.
Replaced them and started all over. That's a big pot, had to have help hauling it in and out.

DSCN5359.JPG

You have harsh winters, do you grow it inside? I have tried growing it in the garden and it never makes it through winter (Midwest USA).

I like it with lamb (in the marinade) and that's about it. I have done it with pork loin and roasted garlic with new potatoes and that was pretty good, but not my favorite.
Like dragnlaw, I bring mine inside in winter. I am quite sure they would not survive one of our winters.

I had one that got huge. It was about 3 feet high and two feet wide. It was in a very large pot. One year, I brought in inside and hurt my back in the process. I spent the next few weeks mostly in bed, upstairs. The rosemary plant was downstairs. By the time I got around to looking at it, it had dried up and died. Right now I have three rosemary plants growing and they all need to be repotted. I won't let them get so big that they are hard to move.

Need to get a pot on a tray with wheels? But I guess it would still be hard to get over the sill edge to bring inside.

I have a couple of wheeled plant holders. I would wheel it to the door and a helper carried it outside. Never had to go very far. I could lump it over a door sill but not stairs. Works a charm.

The Rosemary Arp varietal is hardy in zone 5. It's what I grow outside. Last winter was hard on it but it has done well otherwise.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom