Saturday 6/10/2017 What's on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
I had planned to make sweet Italian sausage, peppers and onions. But it is 88F today and I really don't feel like cooking. I think I'll wait till the sun goes down to cook.

Starting to turn hot for a few days so I poached a BSCB this morning to use in salads and sandwiches.

Tonight was a large salad and a chicken sandwich on Aldi's Multi Grain bread.

I'm thinking of steaming some tamales and rice with some chili con carne on top.

CD

Schnitzel and Spaetzel...

dpnlmJz.jpg

We had a Belmont Stakes party at SO's sister's house. finger foods and desserts. I had my money on Irish War Cry and he was leading from the start almost all the way to the end. ALMOST being the key word.

The "June Gloom" marine layer has been hanging around here all day and it's chilly and damp. Good day for soup and sandwiches.
We had BLOAT sandwiches (Bacon,Lettuce,Onion,Avocado,Tomato) on perfectly toasted sour dough slathered with Best Foods (Helman's) mayo. I pulled out a container of soup from the freezer, and we were set.
Yummmm....

I have 8 stores to go to this month to get all the sales I want to get. I've gotten to 4 of them and haven't gotten all of what I need to make a complete meal of anything yet. Are you confused by that? So am I. So being as how I'm basically out of everything, supper tonight is making do with pistachios, a banana, some blueberries, some strawberries, the last two waffles, and maybe half a chocolate bar. Hey, it fills me up and it's mostly healthy.

Last edited:
Still at work but on my way home I'm picking up some boneless short ribs that're on sale. I'll slice them thin, quickly marinate them and cook them on the tabletop electric griddle along with some vegis. Sticky steamed rice on the side and some red wine.

We had some leftovers, but the baby haddock looked good in the seafood case. I got about half a pound for the two of us, baked it with buttered breadcrumbs seasoned with The Spice House's "Lake Shore Drive Seasoning" (hence the green hue) and lemons. Sprinkled them with capers when they were out of the toaster oven and paired them with fresh steamed broccoli. I also made His-and-Hers salads. Himself had romaine with radishes, carrots, Persian cucumber, tomato, scallions and crumbled sharp cheddar cheese. Mine was the last of the baby lettuce mix topped with blueberries, cherries, and raspberries, walnuts, goat cheese, and a lemon-yoghurt dressing I whipped up. In case you can't tell, mine's the "frou-frou salad" (Himself's words) on the right in that photo. ;)

Attachments

• 20170610_205555.jpg
    20170610_205555.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 20170610_222624.jpg
    20170610_222624.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
It is almost 8:30 pm and we still have not had dinner. My plan was chicken for TB and an avocado Caesar salad for me but with unpacking, we just haven't gotten there yet.

We had dinner and dancing again. I had fettuccine Alfredo with shrimp and Dh had pecan crusted chile rellenos. I just bought an Instant Pot to made fake milk yogurt and am researching recipes. Dh is craving Spanish foods so will make Spanish rice and pinto beans tomorrow in the new gadget.

Karen went over to visit our daughter and grand-daughters. Daughter requested that I make some rolatini for her. What I call rolatini are thin slices of sirloin tip roast (1/8") that I pound out, marinate, layer with goodies and roll up, tucking the sides in. These get browned on all sides and braised in marinara sauce. I use toothpicks to identify what goodies are inside. Layers start with fresh basil leaves. The next layer is a choice of prosciutto, salami, pepperoni or a combo of any of the three. Thinly sliced criminis for those who want them and a choice of cheese, fresh mozz or provolone complete the layers.:yum: Since I was making them for DD, I bought enough to make them for our dinner yesterday. Served them with some penne.

Last edited:
I roasted a couple of chicken breasts in the toaster oven yesterday, so we had sliced chicken with barbecue sauce and salad. Then we went downtown on our tandem bicycle for the Harborfest fireworks. I made a snack of Triscuits, salami and provolone with my homemade mustard and grapes to eat while we waited for the fireworks to start.

We had potato, onion, and hot dog soup for lunch and supper - I did it in the microwave so not nearly as hot as on the stove top.

GG, were the fireworks good? I saw clips on the 11:00 news last night, but wasn't driving for an hour then fighting people to get on light rail at my cousin's to just see a 20 or 30 minute show. I saw them last year, but just because I was at the hospital with Mom and my cousin was at Harborfest anyway, so I just met her there and we rode the light rail back to her house.

We had potato, onion, and hot dog soup for lunch and supper - I did it in the microwave so not nearly as hot as on the stove top.

GG, were the fireworks good? I saw clips on the 11:00 news last night, but wasn't driving for an hour then fighting people to get on light rail at my cousin's to just see a 20 or 30 minute show. I saw them last year, but just because I was at the hospital with Mom and my cousin was at Harborfest anyway, so I just met her there and we rode the light rail back to her house.
Yes, it's always a good show. I like seeing it on our side of the river since it's much less crowded. I wouldn't drive an hour for it, either, though unless it was a day trip for some of the other events.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom