Savory frosting for faux cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would serve it with plain cornbread, polenta, mashed potatoes, couscous or a rice pilau.

I would save the layer cake idea for another time.

Aunt Bea, it's intended to serve as a an edible sort of prop for a movie-themed dinner. Have you seen or read "The Hunger Games"?

Sammy, what did you think of the bacon-onion dip/frosting idea? I thought it was pretty cool :cool:

Aunt Bea, it's intended to serve as a an edible sort of prop for a movie-themed dinner. Have you seen or read "The Hunger Games"?

Sammy, what did you think of the bacon-onion dip/frosting idea? I thought it was pretty cool :cool:

I understand the purpose and I think it is a great idea, I just don't think it fits.

Thanks for your concern.

That juicy recipe certainly needs "polenta, mashed potatoes, couscous or a rice pilau" to go with it.
I too would nix the impractical cake idea, but the "cornbread cupcakes" would still fit as an additional side in keeping with the "nothing as it seems" theme.

Last edited:
That juicy recipe certainly needs "polenta, mashed potatoes, couscous or a rice pilau" to go with it.
I too would nix the impractical cake idea, but the "cornbread cupcakes" would still fit as an additional side in keeping with the "nothing as it seems" theme.

I agree, even keeping the cake idea as an additional side or part of the meal seems like a fine idea, I just don't see it as a starch specifically for the lamb dish.

With the cake idea my mind keeps going back to those awful frosted sandwich loaves my Grandmother served at ladies luncheons.

images

What about heavy cream and butter whipped together with honey, garlic, and a little chili powder? Add a little corn starch to stiffen it up as needed.

Or what about butter whipped with lemon or lime and pureed green chilis. Maybe a dash of curry powder or a little curry paste? Or even just some smoked paprica and tumeric for color and a hint of "somwthing else". Cornstarch to stiffen as needed.

Sour cream and butter whipped with cornstarch to thicken. Add shredder orange zest and corriander.

I can't see the lamb recipe on my phone so don't know if I'm in the ballpark at all with these.

Not sure what the other guests are bringing-- it's a surprise. They are assigned courses but that's all I know.

The butter whipped with green chili is interesting. Will the cornstarch make it more solid? That's kinda along the lines I was thinking if the cornstarch will work to stabilize it. The lamb recipe calls for saffron. Would that work you think?

Not sure what the other guests are bringing-- it's a surprise. They are assigned courses but that's all I know.

The butter whipped with green chili is interesting. Will the cornstarch make it more solid? That's kinda along the lines I was thinking if the cornstarch will work to stabilize it. The lamb recipe calls for saffron. Would that work you think?

Well, I know a lot of powdered/confectioners sugars have cornstarch added, and I know I've seen other non-cooked items use corn starch to make them thicker, dips and such, so I think it would work. You could always try fork whipping a teaspoon of butter with a little cornstarch and see what happens.

As for whether it would work with something using saffron, yeah, I think it would. I've made lamb ribs with a rub that had saffron in it and served couscous with green chilis along side it. That was good so I would think it would be good with what you're doing.

Last edited:
I just can't imagine biting into something frosted in butter...that would be too much I think. Regular buttercream has other ingredients to even out the fat impact. That's why I am leaning towards a cream cheese "frosting".

I just can't imagine biting into something frosted in butter...that would be too much I think. Regular buttercream has other ingredients to even out the fat impact. That's why I am leaning towards a cream cheese "frosting".

The buttercream frosting recipes I've seen use butter, powdered sugar, a small amount of whipping cream or milk, and whatever flavoring. Maybe adding whipping cream or milk to the butter being turned into savory frosting would help?

The buttercream frosting recipes I've seen use butter, powdered sugar, a small amount of whipping cream or milk, and whatever flavoring. Maybe adding whipping cream or milk to the butter being turned into savory frosting would help?

That's 1 cup of butter to 3-4 cups of powdered sugar...the bulk of the buttercream is powdered sugar...there will have to be something in the savory frosting to add that bulk from the missing ingredient and I don't think that much cornstarch would taste very good.

Easy check, there is a 1:3-4 ratio to try out, try with a tablespoon of butter and go from there, taste and determine if it tastes good.

Maybe we've beat the subject into the ground enough? lol That was fun.

I just hope he comes back to give us a report on the dinner. I hate not knowing what happened.

Back
Top Bottom