Struggling with angel food cake method...need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hamlet_cat

Assistant Cook
Hi, I am on a special diet which is low carb and I am trying to make a bread that makes sense. A lot of the low carb breads use flours like nutflours, flax, soy and coconut. These flours aren't the easiest to bake with and they are often difficult to get to rise. Making a sandwich bread is a real struggle. A lot of website suggest using the whipped egg angel cake method to get the light and fluffy texture of a sandwich bread. However I find it is a bit of a challenge because the flours I mentioned above are too heavy to use in the normal ratio so you have to cut down on the amount of flour. This then causes other problems like a lack of structure. Some of the problems I am having with getting my bread to turn out are these:

1. The eggs fall to the bottom of the baking dish and there is a white layer of cooked egg whites in the bottom of the pan.

2. The cake (bread) rises really high and then collapses and pulls away from the sides before it is finished cooking

3. I get a good rise from the baking powder but the protein matrix doesn't seem to lock in place and it seems to fall.

4. I don't have a pan with a removable bottom so I worry about not being able to get it out. Should I just use a silicone baking dish so that I can turn it inside out.

Right now I have tried two methods. Nuking it for 2-3 minutes in the microwave and or baking at 350F in the oven for 15 minutes. It is when I bake it that I get a layer of white egg in the bottom and when I nuke it I get a great rise but then it falls and pulls away from the sides of the pan. I am not really sure what I need to do to prevent these things from happening. If anyone has suggestions that would be great.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom