Tempura menu ideas needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like the Pearl River Bridge brand. I especially like the one with the metallic gold label (Golden label superior light soy sauce). You'll probably have to go to an Asian market or order via Amazon.

One of the Thai/Japanese restaurants we go to spiralizes sweet potato, zucchini and yellow squash before they batter and fry.

Supposedly that brand is available at Walmart in Canada.

Spiralizing the vegies - that's really a neat idea! and will keep them uniform. Almost never use the spiralizer (OMG - a gadget!) since after I first got it. :rolleyes:

asparagus tips dipped

Onion petals or rings and julienne carrot sticks are good.

If you are still hungry *** candybars

banana chunks *Dust them * drizzle them with a little chcolate sauce **serve with berries.

Asparagus - good!
Onion petals -( not rings- get those at Harvey's!)

She wants sorbet - think that's what I'll do to cut thru.

Think the recipe is coming together.

Will stick with Shrimp (only)

3 vegies I think

Friend is certainly expecting Sweet Potato - so that's in. (Orange)
Asparagus tips - if available and of nice size. (Green)
Onion petals - (White)
although I like the idea of the lotus roots but asian market too far at the moment - not going on the island if I can possibly help it (Covid)

Served on rice - not NorthAmerican loose but clumpy like street vendors. Maybe even do two batches of sticky - one plain for savoury - one sweet to have with Mango for dessert. (too much rice? yeah, maybe)

Still working on the sauces - I think two should be enough?

Ya know, I've never made my own Tempura before.
Back home, we'd just go out to eat most Japanese foods.
So maybe here's another dish I need to teach myself!

I would never have thought to do Shrimp Tempura this way!!!

HEH! I have some Shrimp in the deep freeze :idea:

That looks scrumptious. I do tempura shrimp but, not that detailed.

Wish I wasn't so lazy.. :ermm: :LOL:

Ross

Though my tempura is the same recipe, and I prepare the shrimp the same way, putting batter into the oil first would make for very crispy tempura indeed. Not making the batter so thin would keep it from absorbing so much oil. interesting.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I might attempt that for myself - but - :LOL: I know my friend does NOT have patience. To cook them just one at a time, as I'd think you'd have to, in order to pay attention to each one.

Maybe a super chef could :wacko: but not me!

I might attempt that for myself - but - :LOL: I know my friend does NOT have patience. To cook them just one at a time, as I'd think you'd have to, in order to pay attention to each one.

Maybe a super chef could :wacko: but not me!

I agree. That would be something I would try just for myself; not when I'm feeding other people.

It looks so good, though, with those extra crispies around the shrimps.

I would add something non-fried to your menu - perhaps chucks of fruit - melon or pears served on a butter lettuce leaf? You could pick them up roll style an pop one in your mouth as a pallet cleanser for the friend and sauced foods.

Thank you Janet. Actually we had planned on a cool Thai style cucumber salad. I like the sound of melon or pears on lettuce, what a good idea!

Although a lot of asian food style (not to mention every other style non-North American) have become so popular over the years, my mother used to make the cucumber with vinegar and a bit of sugar for my dad all the time.

I had to bite my tongue when a friend told me of this Thai Cucumber salad. She'd had it in Asia while traveling there as a buyer many years ago and was excited to introduce it to me as the perfect refresher. LOL

We make a seafood salad with a half and half bed of grated carrot and seeded cucumber crescents, then a combo of shrimp, squid and conch, with a dressing of something called kimchi base (it's not straight gochujang) and honey to taste. No recipe, I just wing it. The seafood is either boiled or steamed. The restaurant that spiralized the veges for tempura is the one where we first had it. It's a very pretty salad.

My mom did the cucumber, vinegar, sugar thing too, though she also added thinly sliced onions, but I've also made it with rice vinegar and sometimes just a touch of soy or fish sauce.

Last edited:
Two more refreshing sides that would go well with your tempura meal, juicy cole slaw, ans multi-bean salad.

Juicy and Refreshing, Tangy Cole slaw

• 1 medium green cabbage, grated, not
  • 1/2 medium yellow onion, peeled and minced
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
  • 1/2 cup plumped raisins (simmer in hot water for ten minutes, then rinse in
cold water)
  • 1/3 cup Miracle Whip Salad Dressing, or enough to make it creamy)
  • 3 tbs. tbs. sugar

Combine all ingredients, and chill in fridge for at least two hours. Serve cold.

• Multi-bean Salad
    • 15 oz, can dark red kidney beans, drained
    • 15 oz can chick peas, drained (garbanzo beans)
    • 12 oz. can greens beans, w/can liquor
    • 12 oz. can qax beans w/can liuqir
    • 12 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
    • 1/2 tsp. celery seed
    • 1/2 sweet onion, roughly chopped
    • 1 stalk celery, sliced
    • 1/2 tsp, mustard seed
    • 3 tbs. apple cider vinegar
    • Table sugar
    • 2 cups water.

Stir together all ingredients in a large bowl..Add the vinegar and taste how sour it is. You want it to have a little bite. Add more vinegar if required. Slowly stir in the sugar making sure its dissolved after every three tbs. When it has the proper balance of sweet and sour, refrigerate at least for two hours. Overnight is better
    If these aren't what you are looking for with your meal, they are still good recipes with something like fried chicken , or grilled burgers, or hot dogs/kielbasas/bratwurst.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks again guys!

Fantastic guys! I now have enough suggestions to have a Tempura Meal oodles of times and never a repeat in the menu line-up.

Thanks!

We are actually going to try her electric wok out on the patio - due to heat (and I hate smelling the oil for days after) Special thanks to who mentioned that!

Gonna be fun!

and delish!

Fantastic guys! I now have enough suggestions to have a Tempura Meal oodles of times and never a repeat in the menu line-up.

Thanks!

We are actually going to try her electric wok out on the patio - due to heat (and I hate smelling the oil for days after) Special thanks to who mentioned that!

Gonna be fun!

and delish!

That's a great idea dragn!

I'm hoping that you guys are going to be taking photographs
and will post a new thread here with everything that goes
on that table that I WISH I was going to be at,
enjoying the fruits of your labor! ;)

Kgirl, unfortunately it often happens, so busy talking, cooking... by the time we sit to eat - we forget the camera -

I will certainly try to remember this time!!!

hope you aren't all disappointed tho

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom