Thawing my turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freddie

Assistant Cook
I forgot that I had put the frozen turkey breast in a sink of cold water half way up on the turkey. it was out all night. about 8 hours... it was still very cold when i felt it this morning but totaly thawed out. Is it safe to eat it?

What is the temp of the water this morning? Was the turkey completely submerged? If the turkey was under the water all the way and the water never went above 40 degrees F then you are OK. If it was about 40F for any significant time then you could have a problem.

There are many people here who will tell you it is fine to leave a turkey on the counter overnight to thaw so leaving it in a sink of water overnight should be fine. The logic they use is that they have never gotten sick by doing that. The first problem with that logic is that they have no way of knowing they have never gotten sick or made someone else sick by doing that. Symptoms can take up to 72 hours or longer to show and can be as mild as a headache. The only way to know if you have gotten sick from food is by a blood test.

The other problem with that logic is the old seat belt analogy. Yes they may have done this for 40 years and never had a problem. They may also have driven for 40 years without a seat belt and never had a problem. That one time they get into an accident (or have a bird with a problem) they will be sorry they did not take the precaution of putting on their belt or thawing correctly.

Welcome to the site Freddie!

I do not know the temp of the water this morning. all i know is that is was very cold when i put my hand in the water. the heat was off last night in the house and so it got to about 60 in the house then the turkey was half way in the water and felt very cold to the touch,it was totaly thawed out but very cold to the touch. It smelled ok as well this morning so i just put it directly into my crock pot and put it on high. What do you think,, should we eat it ?

If it were me I would not eat it. Especially cooked in a crock pot. If the turkey was only submerged halfway in the water and the house was 60 degrees then that portion of the turkey was in the danger zone for much too long. Smell is not always a good indicator. If something smells off then by all means listen to your nose, but just because something does not smell off does not mean there will not be problems.

The reality of the situation is that chances are your turkey is safe to eat. The issue is that if you gamble and loose you will be very sorry. For anyone who has ever had a major case of food poisoning, every single one of those people will tell you the chance you take is not worth it.

If the water was very cold as you say, then it's safe to eat. The temperature limit in your fridge is 40 degrees, if your water was 40 or under go for it. Because the breast was frozen, it would keep the water at a low temp for quite a while. It's the same as putting a block of ice in the water. IF you have doubts, try putting a thermometer in water and testing what 40 degrees feels like.

The problems though DQ is that the turkey was only half in the water. The half that was exposed to the air was in the 60 degree range, which is well above 40.

The problems though DQ is that the turkey was only half in the water. The half that was exposed to the air was in the 60 degree range, which is well above 40.

I must have skipped over that part of your post an missed it. You're right. If half of the turkey was at 60 degrees chuck it.

Well thanks so much for the advice. I have to admit though i did cook the turkey and it was real good.. ha ha guess we will see in the morning now if any of us get sick. Im hoping that it was cold enough in the water. When I picked it up it was very cold still and im assuming that it took several hours to thaw so i dont think it was unfrozen for too long. Normally I say when i doubt throw it out.. but it was Sunday and i dont go to the store on Sunday so i didnt want to go buy more turkey. I know i was dumb to take the chance but I will let you know if we get sick and then we can all learn from my mistakes. :). We definately blessed the food too. Thanks any way.

If the Turkey was still in the original package, I would probably eat it. I don't think the crock pot was the best choice, however. That method just prolongs the amount of time the outside of the meat (where the bacteria will be) is in the ideal growth zone.

Your only real risk is from Staph toxin, which is heat stable. Every pathogenic bacteria will be killed by proper cooking. You have more danger of getting sick from the left overs than the properly cooked breast. A Turkey breast is much safer than a whole turkey, because the area that is likely to have the highest concentration of pathogenic bacteria (Salmonella) is exposed.

While there is a risk of staph toxin, it seems slight to me if the product was still in its original package, and the water was still "very cold".

It is 7:51 a.m. on Wednesday. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. My 20 lb. turkey is frozen solid. Help! I can't use the cold water way if I want to cook it tomorrow...can I?

What I really wanted to ask is whether it is safe to half defrost it using cold water today, put it back in the frig tonight, and hope for the best tomorrow. I plan to cook the turkey around noon, Thursday.

I put my 21 pound bird in the fridge last Thursday night and this morning, Wednesday, there are still thick ice chunks in the cavity. It takes a looooonnng time for a turkey of that weight to thaw. I'm not sure that cold water will thaw it by tomorrow since the bird is frozen to the center, but I would give it a try. Be sure it is totally submerged. I'm wondering, when did you start to thaw it?

It is 7:51 a.m. on Wednesday. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. My 20 lb. turkey is frozen solid. Help! I can't use the cold water way if I want to cook it tomorrow...can I?
The cold water method would be your best bet. I would guess that you have enough time, but I can't say for sure. It is the absolute fastest safe way to defrost it though so that is definitely the method you should use at this point.

What I really wanted to ask is whether it is safe to half defrost it using cold water today, put it back in the frig tonight, and hope for the best tomorrow. I plan to cook the turkey around noon, Thursday.
Yes that is safe, but it may not defrost quick enough. If you are able to put it in the fridge still in the water then that would probably work though.

No fear...Safe bet is 30 minutes per pound in sink covered completely in water. So for a 20 lbs turkey. Your going to need approximately 10 hours in water... make sure it is completely covered and remember to change water every 30 minutes or so. Water temp must stay below 40 degrees... so smile :) you still have time..

why cant you use the cold water method?
If I were you I would put it in a sink of water all day today. check how thawed it is tonight and if it is still frozen leave it in at night but you might have to get up once in the night to check on it,, if it is thawed then put it back in the fridge then but if not just keep letting it thaw with cold water on it. In the morning if it is not thawed all the way out then just cook it any way as long as you take out the giblets etc from the inside. It does not hurt to cook a frozen turkey if you have time to do that,, It will take longer to cook but still be ok. Hope this helps,, When i left my turkey out all night in cold water it was totaly fine and none of us got sick at all. I know some people told me not to eat it but oh well I took my chance and it was great. Happy thanksgiving!!!

It does not hurt to cook a frozen turkey if you have time to do that.
The problem with doing that is the inside (still frozen) will take longer to cook, so the outside (defrosted) will have to cook longer and thus will over cook.

What do you think......can we eat this bird?

I feel soooooooo stupid! We received a frozen turkey from our employer last Friday. It was very cold here -- got down to the 20's overnight. I forgot about Big Bird until Monday night. When I went to get him out of the car, he was still partially frozen in the center and very cold. He has been in the fridge since. Think I need to throw it out?

Did the temp in the car get up to 40 degrees? If the bird was in 40 degree or warmer for more than a few hours then I would toss it.

Back
Top Bottom