The Sick Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh dear, Kayelle! Shingles is like THE WORST non-fatal disease you can get! Mark had it in 2006. He says avoid showers and baths that are warmer than tepid, and stay naked as cloth brushing up against the skin can be agony. Don’t scratch or otherwise touch the sores, as they can be very easily transported to other parts of the body. And avoid touching anyone, as it’s very contagious! And above all else, reduce stress! Hopefully your gummies’ll help with that!
Here’s to quick healing!

Dang, Kayelle! I am sorry. Not much help, I do know Gabapentin helps with the nerve pain, but have no first hand experience. I do know there are some neuro effects with Gabapentin, Shrek had a bad time with it and was unable to drive while taking it.

My best wishes! {{hugs}}

So sorry, and more gentle hugs, Kay. I had shingles once years ago and it 'bout drove me mad. Bags of frozen peas were the only thing that helped just a bit.

Dang, Kayelle! I am sorry. Not much help, I do know Gabapentin helps with the nerve pain, but have no first hand experience. I do know there are some neuro effects with Gabapentin, Shrek had a bad time with it and was unable to drive while taking it.

My best wishes! {{hugs}}

I take gabapentin daily, I couldn't function without it. Mines for nerve pain from a ruptured oesophagus in 2006. The pain was terrible until my doc prescribed it, it's for epileptics but side effects it dulls nerve pain. I'm good as gold now. I don't think many come through that operation?

Russ

Thanks to all of you for the get well wishes and ideas to battle this curse.

Joel, it's a good thing I don't have to run around without clothes as it's at the back of my head/neck. The sensitivity to touch is like touching nerve endings for sure. I must say that natural childbirth was worse and didn't kill me. I know this won't either but....dang!

Dawg, you're so right about those bags of frozen peas!

PF, I looked into the possible side effects with Gabapentin and that's pretty scary stuff indeed. What were Shrek's side effects?

Russ, I'm glad it helps you and I assume you don't have the side effects from Gabapentin?

Last edited:
Kayelle, only side effects I have is occasional sweats, like 5 mins. Other than that,I'm sweet.

I have a friend who also takes it from testicular cancer, he said he gets slight shakes every now and then. I'll take a few sweats over the pain any day.

Russ

My best wishes! {{hugs}}

I take 80 mg three times a day and have no side effect from the Gabapentin. It sure works on the pain for me. And having an amputation does put all the nerve endings on edge. Whereas the lowest dose of two codene pills made me absolutely loopy! So now I only take one and even one has a strange effect on me.

Everyone reacts differently to pain meds. At first right after the amputation, I required massive amounts of pain killers. They did the job for me, but I wanted off of them as fast as possible. So I stopped asking for it. I left it up to the medical team to see me in pain first.

Be patient Kayelle. It won't last forever. We are all pulling and praying for you. Good luck and remember God is watching over you. Along with SC. They both love you.

Mark takes gabapentin, 2400 mg spread out over the day. A lot of the side affects are things that Mark is experiencing anyway; it’s hard to tell if they’re side effects of the gab, side effects from another of his meds, or symptoms of something entirely different!

So many people taking gaba.

Russ

Gabapentin has little to do with GABA, as I understand it. It was originally developed to control epileptic seizures. It has since been found to help with a lot of other conditions. The best part seems to be that it is pretty hard to abuse.

I have intermittent insomnia issues, and gabapentin was prescribed by my doctor for that, because it is safer than prescription sleep aids.

CD

Gabapentin has little to do with GABA, as I understand it. It was originally developed to control epileptic seizures. It has since been found to help with a lot of other conditions. The best part seems to be that it is pretty hard to abuse.

I have intermittent insomnia issues, and gabapentin was prescribed by my doctor for that, because it is safer than prescription sleep aids.

CD

I only said gaba to shorten it, didn't know there was another drug like that.
It really is an amazing drug. :)

Russ

I don't know about the rest of the country, but here in Massachusetts, gabapentin has been labeled a "street drug" and you have to show an active Identification in order to get your script filled.

Pirate has in the past a script for it and I couldn't even pick it up for him. BTW in Boston one Gabapentin goes for $10 on the street. And some doctors, when you go back for a refill, you have to give a urine sample first to make sure you are not just selling them.

At my age, I don't get questioned. The system just figures I guess, that I should have my last days painless. Even though I receive six capsules a day, I don't always take that many. As time goes on the pain is less and less. Gabapentin reacts differently on everyone. For some it is a blessing, others a curse. It can become addictive.

I don't know about the rest of the country, but here in Massachusetts, gabapentin has been labeled a "street drug" and you have to show an active Identification in order to get your script filled.

Pirate has in the past a script for it and I couldn't even pick it up for him. BTW in Boston one Gabapentin goes for $10 on the street. And some doctors, when you go back for a refill, you have to give a urine sample first to make sure you are not just selling them.

At my age, I don't get questioned. The system just figures I guess, that I should have my last days painless. Even though I receive six capsules a day, I don't always take that many. As time goes on the pain is less and less. Gabapentin reacts differently on everyone. For some it is a blessing, others a curse. It can become addictive.

It is not a "listed" drug in Texas. From my own research, and I research EVERYTHING I take, and discuss it with my sister, an RN of 35 years, it is a pretty safe drug. It really is pretty hard to abuse. Not impossible, but not easy, either.

I assume you take it for "phantom" pain, which is one of the things it seems to help with. If it works, take it. It is certainly safer than taking an opioid pain killer.

CD

It is not a "listed" drug in Texas. From my own research, and I research EVERYTHING I take, and discuss it with my sister, an RN of 35 years, it is a pretty safe drug. It really is pretty hard to abuse. Not impossible, but not easy, either.

I assume you take it for "phantom" pain, which is one of the things it seems to help with. If it works, take it. It is certainly safer than taking an opioid pain killer.
CD

I used to take it for that. But the pain is less and less as time go on. Although every amputee I have talked to, have said they still had the Ghost Pain even two years after the surgery. I have been taking it for the Rheumatoid Arthritis in both hips.

Most of the time I don't even know when the Ghost Pain hits. It only lasts for about 5-10 seconds. Not long enough for me to notice. Usually, Pirate or Spike will see me grimace for a couple of seconds and mention it to me. "Huh, I didn't have any pain just now!" When I was in Rehab in Chelsea, one of the patients told me that his wife had ghost pain right up to the day she died three years after the surgery.

I am not trying to pass myself off as some sort of heroine. I just don't react to pain like others do. I have a very high tolerance for it.

Right now I have a serious earache. Not my first one and it won't be my last one. A good hot facecloth on my ear, and the heat will break the abcess. It is pain I can live with. Now if it was one of my kids, I would be worried to death and want to rush them to the ER. Even though they are now all grown up with children of their own. I can't stand to see any child in pain.

I was on a generic 'Lyrica' for Neuropathy in increasing amounts for almost 2 years. I did NOT like the side affects. Of course not everyone has the same effects nor to the same degree.
I should think that the length of time you might have to take it MIGHT be worth the chance for the relief. Talk to your doc and see if he thinks it would help.

Gabapentin is a great drug to combat withdrawal symptoms from opioids. From what I hear. And that is why its popularity has all of a sudden become so obvious.
Many people who have been kicked to the curb over opioid use have found a friend in Gabapentin. Even terminal cancer patients have been booted to the side of the raod and left to deal with their pain all alone!
For the record and my personal opinion, this silly drug crisis is BS. Cannabis has been their scape goat all these years and now that it is being accepted by the public and by many medical professionals. They need a new devil.
Opioids have become the new devil to take the place of cannabis.
Courts, law enforcement and especially drug rehabs need a new devil to make their living off of. Since they can read the writing on the wall, they must create a new devil and that new made up devil is opioids.
Their monetary livelihoods (jobs) require a devil. Opioids fit the bill just right for them. It is easy. Very easy.

Since the beginning of man, substances like opium have been a part of every society.
In the early years (late 1800's and 1900's) you could order morphine, heroin, cocaine and marijuana from the major catalogs. Sears and JC Penny come to mind.
You could buy laudanum over the counter at every store and as a child my parents could buy Paregoric over the counter.
I remember, because it was administered to me at home as a child.

Does anyone really believe this is a new crisis? Its not. The only thing that has changed is the reporting and statistics.
We all know that statistics can be manipulated and in this case the evidence is clear.

"We are losing the war on drugs, so we must find another scary devil to keep this war alive and well".
Guess who is paying the price for this scam?

I know a guy that had hip surgery. Replacement surgery and was basically told to take aspirin for the difficult physical therapy.
Another had open heart surgery. Ultram was prescribed.

It is no secret as to why many people have turned to the streets for medications doctors prescribed in the past for many many years.
Their new war is working and patients are suffering because of it.
There is no opioid crisis.
It is an attempt that is working to keep the money flowing in for those professions I mentioned earlier.
After all. We must keep 30 day $250.000 rehabs in operation. Keep the DEA busy arresting everyday people and mostly to make up for all the money they are going to loose regarding the "Cannabis Revolution".

There is no opioid crisis and it has been manufactured to counter the cannabis revolution.

Gabapentin is a great drug to combat withdrawal symptoms from opioids. From what I hear. And that is why its popularity has all of a sudden become so obvious.
Many people who have been kicked to the curb over opioid use have found a friend in Gabapentin. Even terminal cancer patients have been booted to the side of the raod and left to deal with their pain all alone!
For the record and my personal opinion, this silly drug crisis is BS. Cannabis has been their scape goat all these years and now that it is being accepted by the public and by many medical professionals. They need a new devil.
Opioids have become the new devil to take the place of cannabis.
Courts, law enforcement and especially drug rehabs need a new devil to make their living off of. Since they can read the writing on the wall, they must create a new devil and that new made up devil is opioids.
Their monetary livelihoods (jobs) require a devil. Opioids fit the bill just right for them. It is easy. Very easy.

Since the beginning of man, substances like opium have been a part of every society.
In the early years (late 1800's and 1900's) you could order morphine, heroin, cocaine and marijuana from the major catalogs. Sears and JC Penny come to mind.
You could buy laudanum over the counter at every store and as a child my parents could buy Paregoric over the counter.
I remember, because it was administered to me at home as a child.

Does anyone really believe this is a new crisis? Its not. The only thing that has changed is the reporting and statistics.
We all know that statistics can be manipulated and in this case the evidence is clear.

"We are losing the war on drugs, so we must find another scary devil to keep this war alive and well".
Guess who is paying the price for this scam?

I know a guy that had hip surgery. Replacement surgery and was basically told to take aspirin for the difficult physical therapy.
Another had open heart surgery. Ultram was prescribed.

It is no secret as to why many people have turned to the streets for medications doctors prescribed in the past for many many years.
Their new war is working and patients are suffering because of it.
There is no opioid crisis.
It is an attempt that is working to keep the money flowing in for those professions I mentioned earlier.
After all. We must keep 30 day $250.000 rehabs in operation. Keep the DEA busy arresting everyday people and mostly to make up for all the money they are going to loose regarding the "Cannabis Revolution".

There is no opioid crisis and it has been manufactured to counter the cannabis revolution.

Wow. That was an earful. An earful of BS!

Opioids have a value in treating pain, but they are also very addictive. Not just mentally or emotionally addictive, but physically addictive. Cannabis is not even close to opioids in that respect.

Cannabis is arguably no worse than alcohol, and maybe less addictive than alcohol. Opioids are WAY more addictive than cannabis, or even alcohol. Opioids are the most addictive substances on the planet!

Yes, there is an opioid crisis, and it was created by the pharmaceutical business. They were over-prescribed by doctors who thought they were doing their patients a favor.

I would say more, but there is a rule against personal attacks, such as calling a fellow DC member an ... (edited).

CD

Last edited:
Wow. That was an earful. An earful of BS!

Opioids have a value in treating pain, but they are also very addictive. Not just mentally or emotionally addictive, but physically addictive. Cannabis is not even close to opioids in that respect.

Cannabis is arguably no worse than alcohol, and maybe less addictive than alcohol. Opioids are WAY more addictive than cannabis, or even alcohol. Opioids are the most addictive substances on the planet!

Yes, there is an opioid crisis, and it was created by the pharmaceutical business. They were over-prescribed by doctors who thought they were doing their patients a favor.

I would say more, but there is a rule against personal attacks, such as calling a fellow DC member an ... (edited).

CD
Yup, the pharmaceutical companies managed to convince doctors to use more opioids. There is some evidence to suggest that opioids for pain can be used responsibly and without risk of addiction by *some* patients. But, they should not be used in gay abandon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom