The Sick Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PF, I looked into the possible side effects with Gabapentin and that's pretty scary stuff indeed. What were Shrek's side effects?

Sorry it took me so long. Shrek had increased confusion and tremors, he said it felt like he had a steady infusion of alcohol. He felt drunk and acted it, too.

A "former" friend of Pirate's that he went all through school with, we found out is now selling drugs. Last night Pirate got a phone call from a friend that So and So had died from an overdose. He was a steady customer of Pirate's friend.

So now, having gone through his year book, Pirate noticed that only a small handful of men and women he went to school with are still alive.

My granddaughter; the same thing. A lot of her school friends are no longer here.

Every week when our local paper hits the streets, the first thing everyone in the family reads are the obituaries. At least twice and sometimes more, a month, someone in this family has to make a trip to a funeral home and offer their condolence. Not because some old geezer like myself has passed, but a child in someone's family has overdosed.

I was prescribed last month a very mild pain med. For ghost pain I very rarely have. It is still sitting in my nightstand drawer untouched. But the law now states in Massachusetts, if a pain medication is prescribed for a patient, the medical facility MUST provide at least one dose of Narcan. There are two young women in this building caring for an elderly parent. Both are drug users. One of the parents is now in hospice and the daughter got a call this morning to get there if she wanted to say her goodbyes. Pirate has been keeping an eye on her and this morning he got the package of Narcan down for "just in case." I hope we will not need to use it. But I do have my doubts.

So if there is no opioid crises, then I am not sure what is. We both know for sure that she has been a regular customer of Pirate's school friend. Call me a Rat, or any name you want, but should she too overdose, I WILL report him.

The system is that the seller is more than likely a drug user themselves. In order to feed their habit, they have to sell in order to have enough cash to feed their own use. All they need is to find just one person who is going through a crisis, and before you know it you have another user/seller on the streets. A vicious circle.

It took a long time for this crisis to reach Eastie. Only due to our location. You have to go over the bridge or through one of the tunnels to get here. And you have to pay.

Recently I read a news item that a pharmaceutical company has produced a pain medication stronger than any on today's market. Medical kickbacks are illegal. And that is exactly what the pharmaceutical companies are giving the doctors.

I still can't believe I have Narcan in my home.

Sorry it took me so long. Shrek had increased confusion and tremors, he said it felt like he had a steady infusion of alcohol. He felt drunk and acted it, too.

I never took the gabapentin on a daily basis. And for that I am grateful. I don't even like taking an aspirin.

A "former" friend of Pirate's that he went all through school with, we found out is now selling drugs. Last night Pirate got a phone call from a friend that So and So had died from an overdose. He was a steady customer of Pirate's friend...

We both know for sure that she has been a regular customer of Pirate's school friend. Call me a Rat, or any name you want, but should she too overdose, I WILL report him.

Why are you waiting for another death to happen before you report him? Isn't one enough?

Recently I read a news item that a pharmaceutical company has produced a pain medication stronger than any on today's market. Medical kickbacks are illegal. And that is exactly what the pharmaceutical companies are giving the doctors.

What evidence do you have that "the doctors" are breaking the law this way? With the opioid crisis, doctors and their prescribing records are being closely scrutinized.

Last edited:

Thanks for the feedback PF. It's much appreciated. As long as I can manage the pain without Gabapentin, I'll be sticking with the bags of frozen peas to the back of my head. ;)

Well it was my turn in the barrel. I spent 4 hours in the ER to find out what the problem with my chest was. The good news was that is mas not my heart
I apparently have some sort of viral infection in my chest, and it will have to work it way out. Sigh.

Well it was my turn in the barrel. I spent 4 hours in the ER to find out what the problem with my chest was. The good news was that is mas not my heart
I apparently have some sort of viral infection in my chest, and it will have to work it way out. Sigh.

Here's hoping you're back on your feet ASAP.

Souschef is never sick and it scared me to take him to the ER, with the advice of our family doctor. They gave him his first EKG, first lung X-ray along with blood tests, and they all asked him several times about his meds, not seeming to believe that at his age he only takes one prescription for low thyroid. They did a test and he does not have the flu but feels pretty rough. It's my turn to take care of him for a change.:wub:

Last edited:
"My back! My back"! (scene from "The Odd Couple" where Felix throws out his back).
I lifted a 30 lb. case of delivered water bottles and I was out of shape. Now I have painful lower back muscle spasms. For anyone whose ever had them, getting out of bed without causing another one is a challenge which usually fails to stop them. They are moan out loud painful for 5 seconds, then repeat as I slowly walk to the bathroom. After a few hours, I can manage to move fairly okay. Go shopping even. Then the next morning, it starts all over again. I'm going to seek a prescription for a muscle relaxer (Robaxin) and take it at bedtime so the muscles are relaxed in the morning. I was prescribed Robaxin decades ago for similar. Lower back muscle injuries are a pain. They can even tug on your spine, causing spinal nerve pain.

Last edited:
My sympathies Caslon. I have had that and used Robaxin or one of their formulations. Isn't that over the counter? It is in Quebec. I hope you get some relief soon.

My sympathies Caslon.

Thanks. 5 days till my doctors visit. "Gimmie some Robaxin Dr. Ibuprofen isn't doing it."
I stretch, walk some. The mornings, OMG the mornings. Getting out of bed. Spasm! Slowly walking to the bathroom, another spasm. They last only about 5 seconds but make me stop and cry "ouchie" out loud. After a 2 hours, they subside somewhat.
I hope to be over this in a month. It's been 3 weeks already.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your health problems, Sous Chef and Caslon. I hope they clear up soon.

My turn. I've been having hip pain for a couple of months now. I finally called my doctor a couple weeks ago and he sent me for an x-ray. That showed arthritis, but with my many health issues, he wanted to make sure it wasn't also something else, so I had an MRI on Thursday. That showed severe arthritis and he referred me to an orthopedic surgeon :ohmy: That appointment is Monday - apparently they had a cancelation, so I don't have to wait long.

I read on their website that they do non-surgical and minimally invasive treatments, as well as surgery when it's necessary. Here's hoping my case doesn't require surgery. I've had more than my fair share.

Souschef, Caslon, GG - gosh... just ALL of you, hope you're all feeling better soon.

Constant pain is so debilitating - you think you can learn to live with it, but...

Thinking of you all.:flowers:

Speedy healing, Souschef, Caslon, and GG!

Last edited:
"My back! My back"!...
Caslon, I hope you get relief soon. I've pampered Himself through three episodes of back pain issues. It's no fun being out of commission.

...I've been having hip pain for a couple of months now...
Ack, that's a real pain, GG. I have a hip that barks every once in a while, but not anywhere near as serious as your issue. I hope the ortho can find relief for you that doesn't involve cutting, too. Let us know how things work out on Monday.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom