The Sick Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm on Medi-cal. Talking to my doctor is a joke. I'd have to wait 10 days for an appointment. It's almost as bad as the VA. I've got to be my own doctor in this case.
I increased my dosage to two 750mg tablets every 8 hours (after net searching dosage)... I'm in a bit of a fog as you can imagine (Robaxin sleepiness, sleeping sitting up).

Just FYI:

How should I take Robaxin-750?
Follow all directions on your prescription label. Do not take this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.

You may need to reduce your dose after the first 2 or 3 days of treatment. Carefully follow your doctor's dosing instructions.

Robaxin-750 is only part of a complete treatment program that may also include rest, physical therapy, or other pain relief measures. Follow your doctor's instructions very closely.

This medicine can cause unusual results with certain medical tests. Tell any doctor who treats you that you are using Robaxin-750.

Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.

What happens if I miss a dose?
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.

What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.

Overdose symptoms may include extreme drowsiness, fainting, or seizure (convulsions).

What should I avoid while taking Robaxin-750?
This medication may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.

Drinking alcohol with Robaxin-750 can cause side effects.

Robaxin-750 side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Stop using Robaxin-750 and call your doctor at once if you have:
  • a light-headed feeling, like you might pass out;
  • slow heartbeats;
  • fever, chills, flu symptoms;
  • a seizure (convulsions); or
  • jaundice (yellowing of your skin or eyes).

Common side effects may include:
  • dizziness, drowsiness;
  • nausea, vomiting, upset stomach;
  • flushing (warmth, redness, or tingly feeling);
  • confusion, problems with memory;
  • blurred vision, double vision;
  • sleep problems (insomnia); or
  • lack of coordination.

This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.

https://www.drugs.com/mtm/robaxin-750.html

Last edited:
Thanks. I also did lots of net searching about Robaxin. I was prescribed it in the 70's for just such a condition. I just wasn't getting any relief with one 750mg tablet every 12 hours.

It's funny that they only prescribe it in 30 tablet quantities. I'll start easing back on the two 750mg tablets every 8 hours now that my lower back muscles seem to have gotten relaxed (finally). It really did take the increased dosage to get there, along with sleeping upright on the couch. This allowed for no exertion at all on those deep lower muscles while the Robaxin relaxed them (unlike sleeping on my firm mattress which just aggravated them).

Anyone on a Medi-Cal type insurance plan knows how much less attention you get from a doctor. It's not like private medical insurance at all in that regard. In fact, I was seen by a nurse practitioner who was authorized to prescribe the Robaxin. No advice, nothing. It's about as personalized as the free clinics from the hippie days. Heh, gotta keep those costs down!

Last edited:
It's funny that they only prescribe it in 30 tablet quantities.

They do that because they have to review many prescriptions monthly or quarterly, to make sure they're working for you, or whether there are any side effects, etc. When you're on long-term maintenance meds, they can prescribe for up to a year.

Btw, nurse practitioners are very well trained and quite suited to seeing a patient with your issue. They often have a master's degree and can run clinics on their own, with a doctor available for consultation if necessary. A friend of mine is a retired nurse practitioner; she ran the student clinic at the university I attended.

I'd like to add that there's a lot of emphasis advising "talk and consult with your doctor..."
For state or federally paid medical care, that kind of rapport with your primary physician just isn't feasible at this level. That's just the way it is.

I also wanted to say it's not THAT bad. Your primary sees and talks with you at the beginning. From there on, a lot of his load is handed off to a nurse practitioner for things like adjusting/changing your heart and cholesterol meds. Also, a "consultation" requires a 10 day wait at the earliest. So, it's not as easy as "consult with your doctor", now,if you know what I mean. One has to do more for themself these days. I've turned to the internet where dosages of two 750mg tablets 3 times a day is listed in more than one place. I opted to treat myself, ignoring the label instructions. Living dangerously? I don't think I am.

I'd like to add that there's a lot of emphasis advising "talk and consult with your doctor..."
For state or federally paid medical care, that kind of rapport with your primary physician just isn't feasible at this level. That's just the way it is.

I know I'm lucky that I've been with my primary care doctor since I was diagnosed in 1989, and with my GI doctor since 2003, and that I've been with them since long before I qualified for Medicare.

I also wanted to say it's not THAT bad. Your primary sees and talks with you at the beginning. From there on, a lot of his load is handed off to a nurse practitioner for things like adjusting/changing your heart and cholesterol meds. Also, a "consultation" requires a 10 day wait at the earliest. So, it's not as easy as "consult with your doctor", now, if you know what I mean.

Can you consult with the nurse practitioner?

One has to do more for themself these days. I've turned to the internet where dosages of two 750mg tablets 3 times a day is listed in more than one place...

Based on what medical history? For what period of time?

I opted to treat myself, ignoring the label instructions. Living dangerously? I don't think I am.

By definition you are. You're ignoring your health care provider's dosing instructions. By doubling or tripling the dose, you could cause yourself to pass out or your heart rate to decline to a dangerous level.

Sorry GG - I agree with Caslon. In the medical world we now have to cope with, one has to often take active decisions in order to fill the interim for visits to health professionals.

Of course everyone's circumstances are different. You admit yourself you've been under medical care for various things for quite some time. If something changes your personnel are quick to respond as whatever it is might affect something else you are being treated for. You are aware of these possibilities and can judge for yourself if you need to seek higher help or can just put a band-aid on it.

Others go years without any medical issues - do not have access to someone who knows them well and be well versed in their history.

When something sudden comes up, as in Caslon's case, not life threatening, but never-the-less very debilitating, he was told to take a common medication. He researched it and saw what he needed to make a decision and took it. I see no problem with that.

As I suffer similar back problems I know that the longer muscle spasms aren't treated the longer it takes for relief and healing.

Sorry GG - I agree with Caslon. In the medical world we now have to cope with, one has to often take active decisions in order to fill the interim for visits to health professionals.

Of course everyone's circumstances are different. You admit yourself you've been under medical care for various things for quite some time. If something changes your personnel are quick to respond as whatever it is might affect something else you are being treated for. You are aware of these possibilities and can judge for yourself if you need to seek higher help or can just put a band-aid on it.

Others go years without any medical issues - do not have access to someone who knows them well and be well versed in their history.

When something sudden comes up, as in Caslon's case, not life threatening, but never-the-less very debilitating, he was told to take a common medication. He researched it and saw what he needed to make a decision and took it. I see no problem with that.

As I suffer similar back problems I know that the longer muscle spasms aren't treated the longer it takes for relief and healing.
No need to apologize [emoji2] Everyone can make their own decisions, of course. In my experience, though, most people don't make a distinction between search results that are reliable and based on factual information and those that are based on the myriad of quacks and con people out there. The top results aren't always the best and studies show that most people don't go past the first page of results. Neither of us has any idea which site Caslon used to make his decision but the fact is that doubling or tripling a medication can be a fatal mistake.

Another feature of modern medicine, especially in the United States with the Affordable Care Act, is that the law created a lot of incentives for health care organizations to convert to electronic medical records, hire more nurse practitioners and physician assistants (I don't think you have those in Canada) to assist doctors in caring for more patients, and to encourage electronic communications.

So yeah, I have a lot of experience with the health care system. You have your opinion and I have mine. C'est la vie.

Last edited:
Personally when I research something I start off with Mayo, easier language for a layman. then off to Hopkins and sometimes even Duke. Not forgetting the actual company itself.

I'm not familiar with other provinces but Ontario has had Nurse Practitioners for a long time. Quebec is just establishing them - long long overdue!

Our drugstores in Quebec ALL know what I take - if I take a prescription to one place and another to a different drugstore - they can see exactly everything I take. Matter of fact quite a few OTC are actually behind the counter and you must ask for them. They will check your file and warn you if there is any reason you should not be mixing them into your cocktail.

In Ontario these same products are not behind the counter and you get no warning of dangers. Pros and cons between provinces - go figure.

Between the doctor and NP I would still be on more than 20 pills every morning. Thank goodness for the doctors in the hospital. In spite of the opinion of doctors that have regarding themselves, they ARE NOT gods! If this weren't so, then lawyers would go broke because there would be no malpractice suits in court all the time. We all have to be our own advocate.

When I first joined Elder Service Plan, I had the one and only doctor for Winthrop, my own nurse (who also had other patients), a social worker, the dietician, and even an activity director if I was so interested. At the same time, in what they call the Other Side which is under lock and key at all times, are the Alzheimer patients. It includes patients from other sites. Such as Lewis Mall. They are serviced also by the same nurses and one doctor as I was.

Then Winthrop received a HUUUGE grant from the Federal Government and joined PACE. That was a program in this state for elderly that only need to see a doctor once or twice a year, some of the patients may still even be working. All patients now come under the PACE program. It is a mess. Elder Service Plan grew way to fast. Forget transportation. Half the time the folks who answer the phones there forget to add your need to the list for the day you need them and where you are going. So you get ready at home, and sit there for hours waiting for your ride. Call them and you find out you are not on the list for that day. We are supposed to phone in our own needs for rides, new appointments, and any other need. I got smart real quick and leave a message for my nurse. She makes sure that all my needs are met in the proper length of time.

Prescription refills. They have a tendency to fail to notify the PACE owned pharmacy for your needs. You are better off calling your assigned nurse and letting her/him know what you need. They call the pharmacy direct. You get them that night.

PACE has it own fleet of vehicles for transportation. Drive by their yard where their vehicles sit waiting for an assignment. Last week my driver went by very slowly and counted eight drivers sitting in their vehicles waiting or just goofing off until they were given an assignment for a pickup. He would have counted more, but was holding up traffic behind him. At the other end of the yard was a whole fleet of trucks empty. They don't have enough drivers. And this is a company that pays overtime, paid vacation, a full lunch hour, and several other benefits. One day my driver was half way to my home and was called on the radio to turn around and go back to pick up another patient. These vehicles are not the most comfortable rides. Sitting in a wheelchair all day is not a fun activity.

There are other medical programs for the elderly in this area that don't even offer half the services to us that need them. Unfortunately this service is the best.

Fortunately my nurse has instructed all who need to know that I am not to EVER have two appointments in the same day. The last time I did have such a day, I was rushed back to the hospital with heart problems caused by total exhaustion.

Please bring back the family doctor. Even though Dr. Danoff has been dead for many years, when I needed Poo's medical records so he could apply for medical school, the state was able to locate them in two days. And I had a copy of all of his immunizations. Try doing that today. You have the pediatrician, heart doctor, bone doctor, etc. And the list goes on and on.

Last edited:
I had somewhat of a relapse after sleeping on the couch last night. I had another spasm. I was in the fetal position on the couch which is okay, but must have turned the wrong way or something. Sleeping in the fetal position eventually makes one want to change position.

I'm going to try something different after days of taking Robaxin. Walking. That's the last thing i can think of to do besides seeking physical therapy which my spend thrift insurance company will probably deny. My neighborhood is somewhat hilly so I'm going to the shopping mall and walk and walk and walk. That may at least strengthen the muscles around the injured muscle.

Last edited:
Can't recommend walking walking walking - yes walk, but don't overdo it.

You are in pain because the muscles are trying to mend themselves - they are swollen and hot with extra blood to heal - diverting that energy to an excess of walking is not going to help.

so give them the chance to with 'gentle' exercise.

My pain is constant and it runs you down - but the flare ups are horrid. I feel for you. :neutral:

Walked at the mall for about 40 minutes. At least it's keeping my other lower back muscles in shape. What's difficult about treating this injury is sleeping in a way that doesn't aggravate the injured muscle. If I could sleep sitting up for a few days that might do it, but that is so difficult to do. Lying in the fetal position doesn't aggravate it, but that is also hard to do because I naturally want to change position at some point during the night. Just one night of sleeping wrongly sets me back to square one again. That's what's so aggravating.

Last edited:
Caslon, I sure hope your back relaxes for you soon.

I know I'm lucky that I've been with my primary care doctor since I was diagnosed in 1989, and with my GI doctor since 2003...
You know, had we stayed in OH we would still be with the same primary care doc that we had when we had to move. Instead, since 2000, we've been through :huh:...I'm on my 9th primary, Himself is on his 6th. It's unbelievable the turnover we've had to deal with. And as far as Himself's endocrinologist goes, I think he's on his 4th or 5th. And his nephrologist is probably his 3rd or 4th. And don't blame us! These docs were seeing more patients than just the two of us. :LOL:

Caslon, I sure hope your back relaxes for you soon.

You know, had we stayed in OH we would still be with the same primary care doc that we had when we had to move. Instead, since 2000, we've been through :huh:...I'm on my 9th primary, Himself is on his 6th. It's unbelievable the turnover we've had to deal with. And as far as Himself's endocrinologist goes, I think he's on his 4th or 5th. And his nephrologist is probably his 3rd or 4th. And don't blame us! These docs were seeing more patients than just the two of us. :LOL:

When I was pregnant with Spike, I had the same family doctor that my mother had as a child and was the one who diagnosed that she had polio. Up to that time, it was call childhood rheumatism. Unfortunately, he is dead now. But I would love to have just one doctor that can always answer my questions. And he has to have time for me.

Today I went to the foot doctor so he could close our my file. The waiting room was packed. It a good thing I bring my own chair with me.

About my back (not trying to hog this forum) still having spasms is that the muscles (spasms) may be trying to correct (manipulate) an injury to the lower spine itself. That tends to make sense to me because a week of taking the Robaxin didn't relax those muscles or stop the spasms. In a week from now I see my nurse practitioner and will ask for approval to see an orthopedic doctor to get a consultation and some x-rays taken. This may also explain why I can rest comfortably during the night, but get off the couch and have a spasm. The spine may be getting tweaked during the night and the muscles are trying to compensate to correct it (when I get up). Thanks for your sympathies and letting me vent here.

Last edited:
I get some serious back pain from sitting in my wheel chair too long, so I understand what you are going through. For me it is the heating pad and a couple of Gabapentin capsules. You have my sympathy.

Oh so much joy!

This past week I have been nursing Pirate who has had a very bad case of the Flu!

For myself, I have been over the many long years on this earth, never caught anything that developed from a viral infection. At one time back in the 70's, I was nursing not only my own family of five member down with the Flu all at the same time, but also my sister's family of six. A total of 11 very sick people. I had all my kids and husband come to my sister's home and there were blankets and pillows everywhere. From measles, chicken pox, etc. and every thing in between, starting in childhood, have never, ever had a viral infection. So I wasn't too worried about caring for Pirate.

I don't know why this has been the case, but I am very grateful that it is. Poor Pirate. He started crying when I had to change his bed and wash him down after he developed a very liquidly case of the runs. He has been so sick. At one point, I thought I was going to have to call an ambulance. Doing all of this in a wheelchair is not easy. I finally had to call Spike. He was a tremendous help.

At first all Pirate wanted to drink was ice water. Quite often the worst liquid you can take in when you are vomiting. But I finally convinced him to try a small cup of BTB chicken broth. I then had to use my 16 ounce measuring cup to make the broth. After day two of that, he finally started to turn around. Those Jewish grandmothers knew what they were talking about. By Wednesday, he should be back on his feet. And hopefully, will be willing and able to eat something solid like one scrambled egg.

This is the second time this winter he has had the Flu. But I really do think this was a different strain. He was so much sicker this time. I am exhausted. Time to wash the floors.

Last edited:

Exactly. You have to be your own advocate. Doctors are not gods. Quite often they are overworked. With the Internet now so well established in our society, there is no reason why any person should take the word of just one person if they are uncomfortable doing so. Namely the doctor. There is nothing wrong with an NP prescribing a medication for an ailment that they may be very familiar with. And if you are really unsure, then ask for some literature you can read and understand regarding the medication that is being prescribed. Or like Caslon did, look it up on the Internet yourself. WebMD.com is a great place to start. If you can understand a goodly amount of medical terminology, go to the Doctor's page. Any words you don't understand look them up on a separate page. A great way to get an education and kill some time also.

Good luck Caslon. A bad back stinks. I have what seems to be a permanent crick in my neck. (From sleeping in a bad position costantly.) The only thing I find that relieves it is the "good old reliable heating pad."

Last edited:
Because I am one of three people in this building with a computer, at least once a week or more often, a resident will come to me and ask me to look up a new medication the doctor has prescribed for them. I am only too happy to be of help to them and have gone through a few reams of paper just printing out the information they asked for. I don't give them medical advice. I just print out the information they need.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom