The Sick Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Because I am one of three people in this building with a computer, at least once a week or more often, a resident will come to me and ask me to look up a new medication the doctor has prescribed for them. I am only too happy to be of help to them and have gone through a few reams of paper just printing out the information they asked for. I don't give them medical advice. I just print out the information they need.

Why don't all those residents with no computers just ask for the same print outs from their own doctors? :huh:

Why don't all those residents with no computers just ask for the same print outs from their own doctors? :huh:

Everyone in this building is at least over 62 y.o. As children, most likely they never saw their parents question the family doctor. They just accepted what was told them as "the word" from him/her. The only thing they ever heard their mother say directly to the doctor was probably, "Thank you so much doctor." So that is what they learned, and what they do also. And I really don't mind doing it for them. I can't tell you how many times I have heard, "I would ask my doctor, but I don't want him to think I don't trust him." What I see happening now is that a lot of times the elder one will have one of their children go with them. The kids speak up and ask questions.

Everyone in this building is at least over 62 y.o. As children, most likely they never saw their parents question the family doctor. They just accepted what was told them as "the word" from him/her. The only thing they ever heard their mother say directly to the doctor was probably, "Thank you so much doctor." So that is what they learned, and what they do also. And I really don't mind doing it for them. I can't tell you how many times I have heard, "I would ask my doctor, but I don't want him to think I don't trust him." What I see happening now is that a lot of times the elder one will have one of their children go with them. The kids speak up and ask questions.

Addie....you've been laid up for quite some time with your own medical issues. How in the world do you keep up with such long term information about the residents, much less printing out data for them when you (apparently) see that their own children are accompanying them to appointments....? You also seem to know that those same adult children have their own questions for the doctors regarding their parent's care.

Last edited:
I take 2 pills a day, I don't care what's in them as long as they work. One I have minor side effects. I consider myself lucky to even be here.

Russ

I'm on Medi-cal. Talking to my doctor is a joke. I'd have to wait 10 days for an appointment. It's almost as bad as the VA.

Yeah, the thing with Medi-Cal is that since the State is footing the bill practically everything needs prior approval and that takes time.
Take care of that back, in time it’ll heal. I’ve had similar problems with my back in the past, caused by lifting and carrying heavy objects. I now wear a weight lifters’ belt whenever I’m dealing with heavy objects, like bags of concrete mix, for instance. Really helps.

Yeah, the thing with Medi-Cal is that since the State is footing the bill practically everything needs prior approval and that takes time.
Take care of that back, in time it’ll heal. I’ve had similar problems with my back in the past, caused by lifting and carrying heavy objects. I now wear a weight lifters’ belt whenever I’m dealing with heavy objects, like bags of concrete mix, for instance. Really helps.

I bought one of those folding grocery basket carts a few days ago. It's a bruise to my ego. I thought myself younger than that. Now I'm one of the old folks. I decided it's better than trying to haul in heavy grocery bags by hand (all at once) and tweaking something. The strength is there, but the infrastructure isn't what it used to be.

I've turned the corner with regards to my lower back spasms, I'm happy to say. It's still tender down there but the spasms have stopped. I slept in my bed for the first time after 7 crummy nights sleeping on the couch. I got up out of bed and no spasm. The reason the Robaxin muscle relaxer didn't help is because the spasms were correcting something amiss with my spine. Once that got improved, the muscles didn't need to spasm anymore (at least that's how I figure it).

This incedent was something I needed to finally convince me I'm no spring chicken anymore. I'm one of the old people now. I carry heavy loads of groceries in with a hand cart.

:(:LOL:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Easy-Wheels-Collapsible-Steel-Shopping-Cart/50045741

Last edited:
My Mom had one of those. She lovingly called it her Polish Cadillac. We used it to take supplies from our car to whatever timeshare we would stay at when we would swap our week. Now that we go to the same place and they have those hotel carts, we got rid of Mom's Caddy.

Glad to hear your back feels better. And welcome to old age. Beats dying most days ;)

Last edited:
Back problems happen at any age Caslon. I've had episodes of back issues since I was in my 20's. Glad you're on the mend and more mindful of smart moves to protect your back now.

Ykies GG, I had a cortisone shot in my hip ONCE years ago and it took my breath away with the pain. How bout you?

I just felt a stick and a little pressure. After pulling the cortisone, the doctor pulled an anesthetic into the needle, so that numbed the area first. And he used an X-ray machine to guide it to the right place. Lots of medical procedures have improved greatly over the years. The anesthetic wore off after a few hours, though. But it's better than it was before.

Everyone in this building is at least over 62 y.o. As children, most likely they never saw their parents question the family doctor. They just accepted what was told them as "the word" from him/her...
Don't blame age, Addie. My Mom was 82 when she died in 2000. She never had problems questioning anyone - not even a doctor.

I just felt a stick and a little pressure. After pulling the cortisone, the doctor pulled an anesthetic into the needle, so that numbed the area first. And he used an X-ray machine to guide it to the right place. Lots of medical procedures have improved greatly over the years. The anesthetic wore off after a few hours, though. But it's better than it was before.

I've had numerous cortisone shots in my wrist prior to surgery and in both hands for tiger finger. The doctor told me there was novocain in with the cortisone so it wouldn't hurt. HA!

The injections were very painful but there was a minimum of pain afterwards as the novocain had a chance to kick in. It took a couple of days for the effects of the shot to wear off and they didn't always work.

I've had numerous cortisone shots in my wrist prior to surgery and in both hands for tiger finger. The doctor told me there was novocain in with the cortisone so it wouldn't hurt. HA!

The injections were very painful but there was a minimum of pain afterwards as the novocain had a chance to kick in. It took a couple of days for the effects of the shot to wear off and they didn't always work.
Interesting. I don't know what the difference is. I know I have a high tolerance for pain because of the type of headache I've been getting since I was 12 years old, but it really didn't hurt much. The range of motion in my hip was better yesterday evening than before the shot.

I know it doesn't always work. DH has had surgery on both of his shoulders and had cortisone shots in them that didn't work very well. But it does wonders for some people - I hope I'm one of the lucky ones.

Interesting. I don't know what the difference is. I know I have a high tolerance for pain because of the type of headache I've been getting since I was 12 years old, but it really didn't hurt much. The range of motion in my hip was better yesterday evening than before the shot.

I know it doesn't always work. DH has had surgery on both of his shoulders and had cortisone shots in them that didn't work very well. But it does wonders for some people - I hope I'm one of the lucky ones.
I just had a thought. The bones and nerves in the hands, wrists and fingers are some of the most sensitive in the body. I imagine it's more difficult to thread a needle through to the right place. Did your doctor use X-ray to guide the needle?

No he didn't. He felt around with his finger to locate. The longest a shot lasted was almost a year and a half and the shortest was three months. I had an issue with a wrist bone that had ben torn free of its ligaments. I guess it was easy to locate manually.

Last edited:
I bought one of those folding grocery basket carts a few days ago. It's a bruise to my ego. I thought myself younger than that. Now I'm one of the old folks. I decided it's better than trying to haul in heavy grocery bags by hand (all at once) and tweaking something. The strength is there, but the infrastructure isn't what it used to be.

I've turned the corner with regards to my lower back spasms, I'm happy to say. It's still tender down there but the spasms have stopped. I slept in my bed for the first time after 7 crummy nights sleeping on the couch. I got up out of bed and no spasm. The reason the Robaxin muscle relaxer didn't help is because the spasms were correcting something amiss with my spine. Once that got improved, the muscles didn't need to spasm anymore (at least that's how I figure it).

This incedent was something I needed to finally convince me I'm no spring chicken anymore. I'm one of the old people now. I carry heavy loads of groceries in with a hand cart.

:(:LOL:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Easy-Wheels-Collapsible-Steel-Shopping-Cart/50045741

Wow, sorry to hear about your back Caslon. Glad it's getting better.
Ever have a duh moment?:rolleyes: Why didn't I think of buying my own cart for hauling in groceries from the truck before? I'm getting on Amazon after visiting here and buy myself one.Thank you for the idea.:)

Munky.

I've had cortisone shots in my knees, spine, back, shoulders, and a few other places LOL - none hurt other than a prick but the one that dropped me to the floor was in the finger.

As the doc explained to me the smaller the joint the more painful. :ermm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom