The Sick Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, GG, that was quick! I think that I've spent more time standing in a grocery store check out line when shopping before a holiday! [emoji38] I'm glad you're recovering so well that you get to go home sooner than you thought.

My DH is having some major pain. It starts in the back of his neck & goes down his left arm. All the doctor has done is some exrays. They're dragging their feet on doing an MRI. They say it's a pinched nerve & will require surgery.
In the meantime he's found a chiropractor that has given him some relief. The chiropractor convinced him he could do without surgery.
Anyone ever deal with this??

My DH is having some major pain. It starts in the back of his neck & goes down his left arm. All the doctor has done is some exrays. They're dragging their feet on doing an MRI. They say it's a pinched nerve & will require surgery.
In the meantime he's found a chiropractor that has given him some relief. The chiropractor convinced him he could do without surgery.
Anyone ever deal with this??
What kind of doctor has he seen? His regular doctor or a neurologist? I think he should get an opinion from a neurologist. He should also be checked for heart issues.

A chiropractor will, at best, provide temporary relief, but they don't fix the underlying problem. They don't get a real medical education, so imo, they're not qualified to determine whether or not he needs surgery. Telling him he doesn't need surgery is in the chiropractor's best interest because your husband will keep going back to him for pain relief.

My BP has been all over the map. I bit the bullet and enrolled as a member of a cooperative medical practice. Not only is it a small practice, the membership was less than what I was paying for travel health insurance. The dr. answers her phone, email. Does house calls, office visits are minimum 30 minutes, provides after-hour care, urgent care, and minor procedures that can be done in-office. Loving this dr. This morning she called to check what my BP was today. Gotta love an "old-fashioned" dr. She is an internal medicine dr., so probably the right kind of dr. for me right now.

That new doctor and coop does sound good, CWS
It is. She does accept Medicare, so I am working on getting my Dad to switch Mom to her, especially since she does house calls and specializes in caring for nursing home patients. It is so complicated to get my Mom in to the dr. We have to call a transport service, etc., etc. She reminds me of my dr. in Ontario. Nothing like the dr. who is my parents' primary dr. We are lucky if the nurse calls back within 48 hours.

Last edited:
He has seen just a family practice doctor. He's not real happy with him.
In the past 2 years we had to change doctors due to a change in insurance companies, different job.
Thank you for the tip on a neurologist we will definitely be inquiring about it.

What kind of doctor has he seen? His regular doctor or a neurologist? I think he should get an opinion from a neurologist. He should also be checked for heart issues.

A chiropractor will, at best, provide temporary relief, but they don't fix the underlying problem. They don't get a real medical education, so imo, they're not qualified to determine whether or not he needs surgery. Telling him he doesn't need surgery is in the chiropractor's best interest because your husband will keep going back to him for pain relief.

simonbaker, I'll second GG's suggestion for a heart check-up, too. The pastor at my SIL's church in FL was having arm issues. He plays tennis for exercise and was having shoulder/arm issues. Turns out that the hospital he went to would do a full wellness evaluation before any major surgery - and found out that part of the pain in the arm issue was related to artery blockage. :ohmy: First they fixed his heart, and then they tweaked his shoulder.

I hope whatever issues your DH has are the least that could be wrong.

simonbaker, I'll second GG's suggestion for a heart check-up, too. The pastor at my SIL's church in FL was having arm issues. He plays tennis for exercise and was having shoulder/arm issues. Turns out that the hospital he went to would do a full wellness evaluation before any major surgery - and found out that part of the pain in the arm issue was related to artery blockage. :ohmy: First they fixed his heart, and then they tweaked his shoulder.

I hope whatever issues your DH has are the least that could be wrong.
Thank you so much for the advice. I'll make sure he asks about it. He's had stints put in his heart 2 different times.

I've tried earnestly for several years to get him to stop smoking, to no avail.

He tells me he gets his blood pressure checked every Wednesday at work, by a nurse, & it's always perfect every time, the day before yesterday it was 118/72. HR 69. It's always in the same range every week. He gets it taken around noon just after the lunch rush.

SB, it's really hard to quit smoking. Has your DH considered vaping instead? I won't say that vaping is 100% safe, but as far as I can tell from internet research and personal experience, it's not nearly as unhealthy as smoking. It is much easier for most smokers to switch to vaping than to quit smoking. It certainly was for me and now I am cutting back on the nicotine in the "vape juice".

Thank you for your advice.
Yes, I've tried getting him on vaping vs smoking without any luck. He'll see an article on TV or online that will say how bad it is so in his mind it won't change anything
SB, it's really hard to quit smoking. Has your DH considered vaping instead? I won't say that vaping is 100% safe, but as far as I can tell from internet research and personal experience, it's not nearly as unhealthy as smoking. It is much easier for most smokers to switch to vaping than to quit smoking. It certainly was for me and now I am cutting back on the nicotine in the "vape juice".

Somebody just shoot me now. I got my second shingles vaccine yesterday evening and 12 hours to the minute, I started reacting to it. I reacted to the first one but I thought this shot would be OK. This one is way, way worse than the first one, though.

Sick sick sick sick sick.

Had chills this morning and my teeth were chattering so bad I thought I would dislocate my jaw. So a 40 minute super hot bath (ran the water out once and refilled the tub when it got cool) and all three blankets on me seemed to do the trick. I never put all three blankets on unless the temp gets under 60°.

But what won't go away is the pain lancing through my right index finger and thumb. I have no idea why. But it hurts like a sonof...it hurts a lot. About every 90 seconds this pain just appears and it's a good 30 seconds before it leaves. It's so bad I swear my hand is giving birth.

I have to tell you guys, if arthritis hurts like this, I'll be robbing pharmacies for opiates. Now I finally understand why people take pain pills and get addicted to them.

And it's just two freaking fingers! What's up with that?!

Going back to bed...

Last edited:
rodentraiser, I'm sorry you're in such pain. Have you called the clinic where you received the shot to let them know about the side effects you're having?

Rodentraiser, I'm sorry to read about your pain. Follow GG's advice and call the clinic. I'm sending positive vibes that the pain fades very soon.

Thank you all for your concern!

I'm much better today. I've been asking around on another forum and it seems like almost everyone has had a reaction to that vaccine, either to the first or second shot or both. I don't know why my reaction was so weird. If it hadn't been for the fingers, I don't think I'd have been nearly so miserable. That lasted for almost 10 hours.

I ended up taking a Benadryl about halfway through the day. That put me to sleep and helped me some. Then I took a second Benadryl at about 10pm and I slept through the night. Woke up this morning feeling great.

I got the shot at the Safeway pharmacy. I'll let the pharmacist know about this the next time I pick up my prescription (which might be tomorrow). I definitely would have had to go into to the ER and I would have done that if I got any sicker. We don't have any Urgent Cares open on weekends. At least, I don't think so.

But I have to say, I'd far rather get the shingles vaccine than have shingles again. I had shingles for two weeks about 11 years ago and I still have nerve damage on my face from them. If this shot prevents or even just mitigates shingles, I'm all for it!

Last edited:
GG, how is the healing going?
It's going really well - thanks for asking [emoji2] My physical therapist came today (she comes three times a week). I've been doing leg strengthening and range of motion exercises while seated; now I'm starting standing exercises. So I'm coming along well. I might graduate from the walker to the cane soon ;mrgreen:

It's going really well - thanks for asking [emoji2] My physical therapist came today (she comes three times a week). I've been doing leg strengthening and range of motion exercises while seated; now I'm starting standing exercises. So I'm coming along well. I might graduate from the walker to the cane soon ;mrgreen:

Fantastic, very good to hear!

Back
Top Bottom