The Sick Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do NOT recommend camping when one is sick.
animaatjes-yes-and-no-0543114.gif
No kind of camping, tent, RV, yurt...just stay home, stay warm, rest and keep hydrated! Don't ask me how I know this!

Hope everyone is on the mend and that health returns quickly!

I don't seem to be getting worse with the covid. I still poop out from next to nothing. At least I don't feel miserable. I'm still coughing. It isn't a scratchy cough. It's trying to get rid of stuff that seems well glued to the inside of my windpipe.

Sign of the times I guess. With the colder weather coming on, windows are closed, air is recirculating, sun's not as bright.

I feel a bit guilty as when I get the flu, I get a high fever, (with chills), go to bed for 24 to 48 hours with 15 blankets. When I wake up - it's over, done, gone. Just feel flattened like a truck ran over me but another 24 hours and I'm good.

I hear of others, as many of you have mentioned, where it carries on forever, not so with me. I guess I'm very lucky.
Now a cold is different, my nose starts to run for the Triple Crown. I can go thru 3 boxes of tissues in 2 days, another 2 boxes over 3 days - and it's gone. No fever, or extremely low, no cough, no nothing. Well, other than a raw and sore nose of course.

This morning, no fever, guess I was wrong, but my joints still ache.

Hoping you all feel better soon - and lots of chicken (with lots of noodles) soup for you, our grandmothers certainly had the right of it!

If it's even possible to have fond memories of being sick, that's what I get when I think of being sick as a child. Mom went all out, spoiling my sister and me rotten anytime we were down with something. The chicken noodle soup always came into play, of course. Out came the vaporizers in our bedrooms and at night, when mom would put us to bed, we'd always get the Vicks rubdown. She would spread it over my neck, my chest and just a little under my nostrils. To this day just smelling that stuff is nostalgia for me.

I have a little tub of it on my nightstand and I've been using it before bed.

But yeah... I didn't mind being sick as a kid because I knew I'd be babied until I was better.

I don't seem to be getting worse with the covid. I still poop out from next to nothing. At least I don't feel miserable. I'm still coughing. It isn't a scratchy cough. It's trying to get rid of stuff that seems well glued to the inside of my windpipe.
Taxy, it took me weeks to regain energy. Like six weeks. :( For the gunk, take a page from Momma who was part Momma and part-witchdoctor, go on Amazon and order Greek Mountain Tea. It's anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and does a great job clearing up gunk. To use it, you toss everything into the tea pot: flowers, leaves, stems, etc. Brew it for 4 minutes or so. (I generally use the tea to brew a second pot for later reusing the first go-around tea by seeping it for 8 minutes in the second round. I put the second pot in the fridge when strained for later.) You can drink it hot, cold, room temp. The tea has a light minty taste. I don't add other things to it, but some like honey or lemon.
My husband cleaned the gutters and is now sick. I'm not. Guessing he inhaled something since I'm not sick. Yuck though
This was how Frank's dad caught Legionnaire's many years back. He thought he had just caught a "bug," and took some cold meds. He felt better initially but then went from "bad to horrific" in a matter of hours. He was in ICU for a month and took forever to come back from it. Truly, we thought he was going to die. And so...we now have leaf filters which *knocks on wood* seem to work very well.

@Linda0818 No one could care for us as well as Mommas. Mine made potato soup.

Taxy, it took me weeks to regain energy. Like six weeks. :( For the gunk, take a page from Momma who was part Momma and part-witchdoctor, go on Amazon and order Greek Mountain Tea. It's anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and does a great job clearing up gunk. To use it, you toss everything into the tea pot: flowers, leaves, stems, etc. Brew it for 4 minutes or so. (I generally use the tea to brew a second pot for later reusing the first go-around tea by seeping it for 8 minutes in the second round. I put the second pot in the fridge when strained for later.) You can drink it hot, cold, room temp. The tea has a light minty taste. I don't add other things to it, but some like honey or lemon.
Is it that brand in particular that is good, or would another brand of Greek Mountain Tea work? I found this one at Amazon.ca, where I can use Prime and not pay extra for shipping from the US.

Is it that brand in particular that is good, or would another brand of Greek Mountain Tea work? I found this one at Amazon.ca, where I can use Prime and not pay extra for shipping from the US.

Taxy, that listing goes to a Greek Mountain "Oregano". It doesn't appear to be the same kind of "Tea" that I get, per Kathleen's kind recommendation. See the picture here: Greek Mountain Tea

It is different from oregano. When I purchase it, I typically look for branches of the plant with plenty of yellow flowers. Here is some more information about the tea. If you have a great supplier of Greek foods, you can generally find it there.

Looking at the Canadian Amazon, I found two that I believe is correct.

The first one. The second one. The first one seems to use blends. I don't recommend blends.

Last edited:
Yes, I seem to have goofed on the link. Thanks Kathleen. I did find that one and was going to link that after Ginny pointed out that I had linked to oregano. I see no reason to get dry oregano from Amazon. :ermm:

Yes, dragnlaw, I realize it's ironwort aka woundwort. I looked it up when Kathleen first mentioned it.

Ugh. Tea. That's one thing I can't do. :yuk:

And I'm still dealing with this crud. Sinuses draining, head clogged, still coughing - although I will say I'm breathing much better now. Been coughing up a LOT of gunk, trying to clear all this out. It amazes me how long it stays in your body. I've been sick since a few days after Thanksgiving and it's still hanging on. But at least it's getting better (very slowly) and not worse.

Can't complain too much, though. The last time I had bronchitis (about the same time last year, if I haven't already mentioned that) it last for 6 weeks. That was miserable.

Back
Top Bottom