The Sick Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am lactose "sensitive". Not intolerant as some people suffer. Lactose free milk is not that much more expensive. Not like it used to be as it was for people who are/were gluten intolerant. That bread was so expensive back then. Not much cheaper now but there are lots of things easily available that weren't "back then".

I sometimes buy the butter and the cream cheese lactose free, but not always. I avoid ice cream for sure! (unless I make it myself, of course). Sour Cream, depends on how it's being used but I try to avoid. I've noticed the free versions are becoming more available lately.
Hard cheeses are OK and pretty much lactose free. Doesn't stop me from eating soft cheeses though! I keep Gavascon handy and I already take pantaprazole. Yes, I know those are more for acid reflux, from which I also suffer, but the do help calm the stomach from a lactose ache.

I think it really depends on the severity of the condition. I've never met anyone with the need to watch out for what's in their pills, that's for sure.

So I had a video chat doctor's appointment this afternoon and my doctor sent in a paxlovid prescription to my pharmacy. About an hour later I received an email from my pharmacy that they didn't have it in stock and it would be delayed, but they didn't say when or give further details. My husband called and was on hold for over 20 minutes to speak with the pharmacist, only to find out none of their nearby locations have it in stock within 25 miles, and we're in the middle of a snowstorm. The pharmacist said she thinks they might get it in tomorrow but isn't certain.

I sent a message to my doctor. I'm guessing there's probably a shortage on a large scale in my area. Maybe they know of a pharmacy that has some.

So I had a video chat doctor's appointment this afternoon and my doctor sent in a paxlovid prescription to my pharmacy. About an hour later I received an email from my pharmacy that they didn't have it in stock and it would be delayed, but they didn't say when or give further details. My husband called and was on hold for over 20 minutes to speak with the pharmacist, only to find out none of their nearby locations have it in stock within 25 miles, and we're in the middle of a snowstorm. The pharmacist said she thinks they might get it in tomorrow but isn't certain.

I sent a message to my doctor. I'm guessing there's probably a shortage on a large scale in my area. Maybe they know of a pharmacy that has some.
I hope it shows up soon, 'cause it has to be taken with some small number of days of becoming symptomatic.

Here in Quebec, and in some other Canadian provinces, the pharmacist can prescribe some medications and Paxlovid is one of them. We couldn't get it because, they don't give it to anyone who has been vaxed for Covid 19 within the previous 3 months. We had gotten our booster earlier that week.

I hope it shows up soon, 'cause it has to be taken with some small number of days of becoming symptomatic.

Here in Quebec, and in some other Canadian provinces, the pharmacist can prescribe some medications and Paxlovid is one of them. We couldn't get it because, they don't give it to anyone who has been vaxed for Covid 19 within the previous 3 months. We had gotten our booster earlier that week.
Yes, I'm aware of the 5 day window, hence my concern about the delay. Wednesday is the last day I can start, as my symptoms came on close to midnight on Friday evening. Plus I don't want it to work it's way into my lungs so the sooner I can start the better.

I've been vaxxed--and boosted a few times, but not recently. My husband called a few other pharmacies and none have it in stock. Here, a pharmacist can prescribe it but the person has to come in with their medical records going back a year, a list of all medications, bloodwork results showing no liver or kidney issues, and get a test, which would all be for naught since none have it in stock. And there are blowing winds and white outs. I'm too sick to get dressed and drive anywhere and my husband doesn't see well enough to drive far under normal driving conditions, plus he's still a little sick too, so...

That sucks you got sick right after your booster.

I tested negative 2x for COVID and 1x for flu. However, the doctor said asthma related respiratory infection. So on steroids and antibiotics. I feel wiped. Forcing fluids. Steroids make me want to eat like a race horse. It's not pretty.

The doctor said that the flu, covid, and respiratory issues are really manifesting right now.
They are indeed. The amount of people that are sick right now is crazy.

I too tested negative for Covid and the flu. Mine was basically a bad cold gone wrong, since I developed bronchitis. I was on prednisone for 7 days. It helped and at least I'm able to breathe better now. But I'm still coughing up a bunch of crap and have occasional times of breathlessness.

I've been eating Chinese takeout at every meal for 3 days now. I mean we ordered it Saturday so it's been leftovers since then, but every meal for me has been either egg rolls and crab rangoons (all finished off now) and/or pork fried rice and orange chicken. Hubby's been eating eggs and other stuff for breakfast and chicken soup, ravioli, etc. at dinner but I got stuck in this mindset. My kinda comfort food. There's only one serving left (breakfast) so I'll have to figure something else out for lunch and dinner...I don't really have the energy to cook though. I've managed to make hubby's eggs and get back in bed. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

I've been eating Chinese takeout at every meal for 3 days now. I mean we ordered it Saturday so it's been leftovers since then, but every meal for me has been either egg rolls and crab rangoons (all finished off now) and/or pork fried rice and orange chicken. Hubby's been eating eggs and other stuff for breakfast and chicken soup, ravioli, etc. at dinner but I got stuck in this mindset. My kinda comfort food. There's only one serving left (breakfast) so I'll have to figure something else out for lunch and dinner...I don't really have the energy to cook though. I've managed to make hubby's eggs and get back in bed. Maybe tomorrow will be better.
Well at least you're eating. I hope tomorrow is better for you as well.

I love Chinese food.

I found a pharmacy that has paxlovid in stock and my doctor's office is in the process of switching the prescription over. Ironically I'm feeling much better today. Still gonna take it anyway. I know lots of people get sick, feel a little better, then feel sick again. I want better sooner.

I found a pharmacy that has paxlovid in stock and my doctor's office is in the process of switching the prescription over. Ironically I'm feeling much better today. Still gonna take it anyway. I know lots of people get sick, feel a little better, then feel sick again. I want better sooner.
Hope you will be OK soon!

Sorry for not replying sooner, I am a bit down in the dumps. Missing my furry friend and such.

Hope you will be OK soon!

Sorry for not replying sooner, I am a bit down in the dumps. Missing my furry friend and such.
I know you miss Cheetah 😔

Prescription still hasn't been transferred. I called my doctor's office again and asked the receptionist to send another message to staff explaining that this is urgent. if it is dark when it's ready I'll have to go get myself it since my husband can't see at night to drive.

At least they have a drive thu.

I'm livid. None of the phone calls made to my doctor's office during office hours resulted in my prescription getting called into the pharmacy that had it in stock. My throat was sore and I was exhausted, and I was on hold each time for lengthy periods. Each time the receptionist assured me she was sending my message to the doctor and his staff. Then I'd wait awhile, and after not hearing from the pharmacy, I called them and was told the prescription had not been ordered.

The last time I called my doctor's office it was closed and I spoke with an after hours nurse. I explained the situation to her like I did several other people through my day and she called it in herself. But of course it was dark by the time the prescription was ready.

I got my first dose in me though. My throat hurts but that's from all the talking I had to do. I'm pretty angry with my GP and his staff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom