Timing your cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
When I am not following a recipe, which is most of the time, I noticed that I have stopped paying attention to when I start something, such as; the chicken went on the grill at 7:45, it should be done around 8:30, or, the beans just came to a boil, ten more minutes..... I used to pay attention to cooking times for everything, now I rarely do. I'm not really sure when I stopped, but it came to mind this weekend, especially last night when I was cooking corn on the cob, chicken thighs and thick cut french fries all on the grill from raw to finish. I realized that I paid no attention to when anything was put on, then said to myself, so what?
Maybe it started when I got a grill that was much hotter then my previous ones, so times went out the window. Maybe it started when I adopted a; I'll eat when it's done, attitude, rather than a specific time things had to be done and served. Somewhere along the way I have started cooking by feel, making adjustments along the way to have everything done at once. I'm not really sure if that's good or bad, because it would be nice to have a time associated with how long something takes to cook. Now I would have to consciously make an effort to remember to time something if I wanted to know.

So, who cooks by clock? Who cooks by feel? Is one way better than the other?

I don't time my cooking always, it depends what I am cooking. If it is something that really doesn't need timing, I go by how it looks and feels.

I don't use the clock very much. I may look at a clock from time to time to remind myself to check on something so it doesn't over-cook, but that's about it.

I think I'm going to start timing my cooking when not following a recipe. I think it's good to go by feel, but somewhere along the way I've lost my time guidelines. I suppose that could happen when you cook for one and it doesn't make any difference when it's done.

I just try to start so the food will be on the table at a reasonable time. It's more of an issue when we have guests.

I'm not a clock watcher generally... Only if up against a specific service time...then I will think about the menu, and prioritize when certain things need to be started etc.
After that, it is by feel, just knowing, etc. I find a thermometer more useful than a clock.

No clock.

I try to time everything so they finish at the same time. Some things I can make ahead of time like mashed potatoes. You just don't want your sauteed asparagus waiting 10 minutes in the pan. When meat is resting is a good time to reheat prepared dishes or to quick saute certain things.

That's what I did with the chicken last night, UB.... when I thought they were done, I stuck a thermometer in them to check. Somewhere inbetween 30 minutes and an hour :)

That's what I did with the chicken last night, UB.... when I thought they were done, I stuck a thermometer in them to check. Somewhere inbetween 30 minutes and an hour :)

Get yourself a note book...Take notes...write down what you liked, and didn't like....Note grill temperatures, was the chicken thighs (or whatever) just out of the fridge...or at room temperature. The more details the better...It's a great learning tool.....Mostly just...

Have Fun & Enjoy!

For casual cooking I guess. When I have guests - more formally, and with more food, I prepare a schedule in advance. It helps me keep on track.

Those of us that are healthy are blessed. There are others, relying on prescription meds, or are diabetic, or have other problems - there are those who will drink too much. When I can identify these people I'll say something like dinner will be served at 8pm so they can make their own adjustments. And dinner will be served at 8pm or very close to that.

I just try to time things that I know will not take as long to prepare/cook. You know, like chicken will take an hour to roast, so no need in starting the veggies right away. I don't time things by clock, I go by feel. Sometimes I'm spot on... other times I'm fretting over something getting cold while we wait for something to finish up cooking.

Depends on who I'm cooking for or what I'm making.....
For a big extended family meal (on my side) I do because my mother CANNOT go without a complete itinerary... can you say OCD?
If its for just DH kids and I, I go by feel.... unless I'm feeling very distracted that day then I set a timer for certain things that I may forget while herding my monkeys..

I like to slow cook and slow roast for hours, so I don't measure time, except in 'all day'. Veggies and sides take less than an hour.

I use time when I bake, that's where I follow the temperature and time guidelines from recipes.

Usually, so much is happening at once I use all different methods. For most of my 'at home' cooking, I rarely see what time I start anything, so I have no idea when it's expected to be done. Usually, I'll just look at it and say 'we'll eat in half an hour' or make another round...:angel:

...I do because my mother CANNOT go without a complete itinerary... can you say OCD?

Oh, how well I can relate to THAT scenario. My late MIL (God rest her soul) would lurk in the kitchen at 5:05 and make the statement "Is something wrong? I thought we were SCHEDULED to eat at 5:00?" Keep in mind there was usually less than 5 minutes to go when the statement was made. I guess the poor 80 year-old widow must have had a busy schedule that night, or just liked taking cheap shots at me for marrying her daughter 35 years earlier (I was not HER choice).:LOL::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom