Tips for using your microwave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I think we all remember any buns we put in there the first couple of times... like your mom Linda, either petrified or so chewy your jaw would ache... (if you even ate them).
There was a definite learning curve with those things when they first hit the market.

I got my first microwave in the 1980s. I had heard lots about them and about a lot of gotchas. But, I had hoped to use it to turn the rocks (frozen hard food}) from the freezer into usable food in a few minutes. Nope, that didn't work well. A frozen chicken had cooked, grey, rubbery wings by the time the whole bird was defrosted, just as one example. Nowadays we don't just shove the food in the MW and try to defrost it at full power. We have better instructions. Also, my current MW has something called "turbo defrost". I tell it how much it weighs in kg or lbs and it figures out how to do a pretty good job of defrosting it. I can hear it change the power level part way through.

My built-in Kenmore has that feature. I'm not sure I have ever used it. Like you said, defrosting in the MW cooks some parts of the item defrosting.

CD

Hot Pockets...

1714603121692.png

CD

I routinely defrost my shrimp in the micro.
Put on a dinner plate, line plate with paper towels, 10 seconds, let rest. do this several times to rid of any heavy ice, then perhaps 30 seconds at Power level 4 or 5, maybe even lower. By that time you shoud be able to peel the shells off. Can't really say times and powers are accurate as I play it by ear/eyes.

I've also done many other meats including minced meats. With ground meat you have to scrape off the defrosted parts as you go along. Tedious but has to be done if you must!

Low and slow is the answer - not a big trick.

I routinely defrost my shrimp in the micro.
Put on a dinner plate, line plate with paper towels, 10 seconds, let rest. do this several times to rid of any heavy ice, then perhaps 30 seconds at Power level 4 or 5, maybe even lower. By that time you shoud be able to peel the shells off. Can't really say times and powers are accurate as I play it by ear/eyes.

I've also done many other meats including minced meats. With ground meat you have to scrape off the defrosted parts as you go along. Tedious but has to be done if you must!

Low and slow is the answer - not a big trick.

Fish/shellfish, pork and chicken in vacuum sealed bags I just put in a bowl of cold water for about 30 minutes, and they are thawed. Same with ground beef, but beef steaks I let thaw in the fridge, very slowly. Steaks just don't seem to like being quick thawed. It affects the texture, for some reason. Possibly because I cook steaks to medium rare, which I don't do with those other proteins. Medium rare chicken is probably not a good idea.

CD

Truth be told? ground meat (90% usually beef sometimes pork) and shrimp are/were about the only thing. Anything else just never made it to the menu. If it wasn't ready to be cooked then I had peanut butter sandwich. I can only remember once or twice where I cooked something frozen, once I threw frozen chicken pieces in the slow cooker on high, was fine, very tasty. I've done frozen breasts into poaching liquid on several occasions. That's about it.

I defrost shrimp in a bowl of warm water. It takes about 10 minutes while I'm prepping the remaining ingredients.

Certain things, beans for example, will explode in the microwave. Make sure you cover them, or anything containing them, i.e. chili, before reheating or you just might be spending the next two hours scrubbing the inside of the microwave instead of eating.

Certain things, beans for example, will explode in the microwave. Make sure you cover them, or anything containing them, i.e. chili, before reheating or you just might be spending the next two hours scrubbing the inside of the microwave instead of eating.
Lentil soup will do that too. Guess how I know. I found that putting the power to 70% stopped the bang noises. I should have covered the 1 litre Pyrex measuring bowl that I heated the soup in, just to be safe.

I always reheat things (and believe me, I reheat a lot!) on 50%, sometimes less, as I'm not in that much of a hurry! The center is always cooler than the outer part, and would need to be stirred several times, on 100%, to keep from burning yourself on the hottest part, while the center is just warmed. There are always things I can do in the kitchen in that extra time takes, and it's definitely safer. As for thawing in the MW, I always set it for half or 3/4 the weight, then set it at very low - 1 or 2 - and check frequently. Sometimes it doesn't really matter if it cooks in a spot or two, but with some things I don't want that at all.

I couldn't agree more! We eat beans 5-7 days a week, including lentils. (other things that might explode or spatter: fish, eggs...you all probably know more than I remember.) We use this cover for them.
624cfb0e-ca1d-4a6d-b39e-bdef08baca12.__CR0,0,220,220_PT0_SX220_V1___.jpg

I couldn't agree more! We eat beans 5-7 days a week, including lentils. (other things that might explode or spatter: fish, eggs...you all probably know more than I remember.) We use this cover for them.
624cfb0e-ca1d-4a6d-b39e-bdef08baca12.__CR0,0,220,220_PT0_SX220_V1___.jpg
Can you post a link to those, please. TIA

Believe those types of covers are only 2 or 3 $$ at the Dollar Store. Surely you must have Dollar Stores or equivalent in the States?

Believe those types of covers are only 2 or 3 $$ at the Dollar Store. Surely you must have Dollar Stores or equivalent in the States?

Yes, but they are mostly in low income and rural areas, where they dominate the marketplace. The burb I live in has one Walmart, and they stock USDA Prime beef in the meat department. We have a Jaguar/Land Rover dealership, but no dollar stores.

CD

You would think so, so would I. I checked for Dollar General, Family Dollar, and Dollar Tree. Even dollar tree doesn't sell a dollar tree (should go under gardening). One had a $5.99 cover but it had to be ordered and would arrive in 2 weeks. One didn't have them at all. One had a cover but it was a cover for a plate and not microwave safe. So, I guess it has them if you are willing to wait. There's also walmarts. Target has a microwave safe one for $1.99 when purchased online.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom