Venison Chorizo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I'm at Sprouts house, thoroughly enjoying my granddaughters. This morning, I thought I'd make omelets for the crew. So I looked in the fridge and saw ground venison. I wondered how I could incorporate the meat into the omelet. I thought of breakfast sausage made with the venison, sage, salt, pepper, etc. I couldn't find the sage, or even thyme, though Sprout assured me that she had some. So my next thought was to make a venison chorizo, sans alcohol. Here's how I made it, and it came out really good.
Ingredients:
1/2 lb. ground venison (very lean)
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. coarse grind black pepper
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp chopped garlic
1/8 tsp. ground coriander
1/8 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. ground paprika

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Place into a frying pan and brown until cooked through.

The gamey flavor of the venison worked perfectly with the southwestern herb/spice flavorings to create a very good chorizo. This blend would make great carne asada, with a bit of cilantro, lime, and fresh peppers added, or would be perfect as a taco/burrito filling. The venison flavor adds just the right flavor profile. I'm really happy with this combination. Hope you get the chance to try it. Oh, and it worked great in the omelt.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Ouch! Ouch! I'm kicking myself in the ***. My parents have two freezers full of venison. I didn't think to bring some back...next time. I bought a meat grinder last week but couldn't remember the cut of pork to buy, so I didn't buy any when I was at the grocery store today. I am craving my potato-kale-chorizo soup. I'm definitely going to try this and am definitely going to bring back venison in addition to walleye next time I go to MN.

I've been making my own chorizo for years because the commercial product just turns to grease when you fry it. I've done beef and prok, and lately I've been using turkey, but my all time favorite is goat.

Here's my recipe:

CHORIZO

2 pounds ground beef, goat, pork, or turkey
4 cloves mashed garlic
6 Tbs chili powder
2 Tbs oregano
2 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs water
2 Tbs vinegar
1½ tsp sugar
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
½ tsp fresh ground black pepper

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, divide in four, roll into four logs, and wrap each log with plastic wrap, twisting the ends to secure. If you like it mild, use Ancho chili powder, if you like it spicy, use New Mexico chili powder

I've been making my own chorizo for years because the commercial product just turns to grease when you fry it. I've done beef and prok, and lately I've been using turkey, but my all time favorite is goat.

Here's my recipe:

CHORIZO

2 pounds ground beef, goat, pork, or turkey
4 cloves mashed garlic
6 Tbs chili powder
2 Tbs oregano
2 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs water
2 Tbs vinegar
1½ tsp sugar
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
½ tsp fresh ground black pepper

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, divide in four, roll into four logs, and wrap each log with plastic wrap, twisting the ends to secure. If you like it mild, use Ancho chili powder, if you like it spicy, use New Mexico chili powder

Depending on where, and what the white-tail deer are eating, goat tastes surprisingly similar to venison. Blindfolded, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two.
SirLoin of Beef, I trust that you agree about the slight gamey flavor and the
chorizo spices working so well together. And your recipe looks great.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom