Vinaigrette Dressing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
vinagrette dressing begins with vinegar salad oil dressing 3cups salad oil to 1 cup vinegar--cider the virgin oil made it taste bad

vinaigrett salad dressing

someone wanted to know what made their vinaigrett salad dressing taste bad I suggested it was the virgin oil they used, an posted that vinaigrett begins with a vinegar/oil salad dressing 3 cups salad oil / 1 cup cider vinegar....hope that cures your migraine...........

Bill S said:
someone wanted to know what made their vinaigrett salad dressing taste bad I suggested it was the virgin oil they used, an posted that vinaigrett begins with a vinegar/oil salad dressing 3 cups salad oil / 1 cup cider vinegar....hope that cures your migraine...........

Now I'M the one with the migraine. :rolleyes: Why on earth would you think that Extra virgin olive oil would make a salad taste bad? This is the basis for a great vinagraitte and I can't imagine using anything else. I use good quality EVOO for salad dressings and dipping because the pure, rich flavor of the olive oil comes through beautifully. Isn't this what good salad dressing is all about? Why use a bland oil for something so important?
And just for the record, I have never seen a recipe for vinagraitte that uses apple cider vinegar. It's always a white, champagne or red wine vinegar. Not saying you can't use apple cider, just never saw it.

I also don't understand why olive oil would make a dressing too tart, which was the original poster's complaint.

I highly doubt that the oil made the dressing taste bad, but it might have been rancid or too assertive.

Also, making vinaigrette by the quart is pretty unnecessary unless you are cooking for a huge number of people. It's best made fresh, IMO.

jennyema said:
I also don't understand why olive oil would make a dressing too tart, which was the original poster's complaint.

I highly doubt that the oil made the dressing taste bad, but it might have been rancid or too assertive.

Also, making vinaigrette by the quart is pretty unnecessary unless you are cooking for a huge number of people. It's best made fresh, IMO.

:LOL: - but, it confirms that most (not all) dressings can be made using the ol' 3:1 ratio! :chef:

Nicholas Mosher said:
Okay, I'm going to offer a different opinion.

Many many many many people recommend that you use "Extra Virgin Olive Oil" for vinaigrettes... I myself do not. Olives have a definite flavor of their own - one that I absolutely love - but not in mnost dressings.

As many restaurants and fine chefs do, I use a neutral flavored oil in the majority of my vinaigrettes. Canola happens to be my workhorse. It is delicate enough to let the flavors of the other ingredients come through, and doesn't clash with it's own flavors.

Here is my run-o-the-mill vinaigrette.

2-T White Wine Vinegar (I use Red for heartier salads)
1-T Finely Minced Shallot
1-T Minced Chives
1-t Minced Tarragon
1-t Minced Flat Leaf Parsley
2-t Dijon Mustard
Good Pinch of Salt ("Pickling Salt" dissolves easiest)
Good Pinch of Sugar (Balance of Salt/Sweet/Acid is important)
Freshly Ground Black Pepper - To Taste
5-T Canola Oil (Sometimes 6, Depends on strength of the Mustard)

Put it all in a small lidded jar or a screw-top ziplock container and shake vigorously until the liquids emulsify. Let it sit for 15-20min for the flavors to spread/develop then shake again before use.

The trickiest part to a fantastic vinaigrette is getting the correct balance of salt and sugar. Make a practice batch and slowly add more and more salt tasting between each addition until it gets over salted. Then you'll know where the fine line of fantastic lies.

Anyhoo... try using a neutral oil like canola. The herbs I commonly use above are of course optional, but add some interesting complexity - be careful of the tarragon though, it can be overpowering. :pig:
Personally, I love the flavor of olive oil in my salad dressings, and only use flavorless oils when I'm going for another specific flavor. I collect smaller bottles of "really good" olive oils to use in vinaigrettes. Often I only use lemon juice and the olive oil, along with a specialty sea salt and freshly ground pepper. :chef:

I also use EVOO in the majority of my salad dressings. Those that I can think of off-hand that I don't use them in are caesar (gives off a weird taste with the anchovy, especially 1-2 days later), truffle vinaigrette, and any Asian fusion vinaigrette.

ironchef said:
I also use EVOO in the majority of my salad dressings. Those that I can think of off-hand that I don't use them in are caesar (gives off a weird taste with the anchovy, especially 1-2 days later), truffle vinaigrette, and any Asian fusion vinaigrette.
You make Caesar dressing ahead? I always make it in the bowl where I'm making the salad. It's one of the few dressings I don't shake up in a jar! In fact, Caesar Salad was the FIRST place I ever was aware of olive oil being used in salad dressing.

ChefJune said:
You make Caesar dressing ahead? I always make it in the bowl where I'm making the salad. It's one of the few dressings I don't shake up in a jar! In fact, Caesar Salad was the FIRST place I ever was aware of olive oil being used in salad dressing.

I make Caesar dressing on the spot also. Can't imagine making salad dressings ahead anyway. And, like you, I use lemon juice in place of vinegar sometimes especially when making dressing for Greek salads. Greek olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and Greek oregano over greens, kalamata olives, sliced beets, red onion, pepperoncini and feta cheese. I doesn't get any better than that.

I definitely think it's a matter of personal taste too.

As far as the Caesar dressing goes - I also use a "light" olive oil or canola.
Lately I've been making the dressing "on the greens".

I think the traditional ingredients are EVOO, coddled egg yolks, lemon juice, and worcestershire sauce (which is why people believe the dressing contains anchovies). The garlic flavor traditionally came from the garlic croutons alone. Got this from Alton Brown's research.

For sandwiches like Grilled Chicken Caesar Wraps, I make a stiffer dressing in a separate bowl using homemade mayo instead of oil/egg yolks tossed on the greens, along with some anchovy paste and finely minced garlic (plus lemon juice, parmesan cheese, and salt/pepper).

Just my taste buds though - :pig:

ChefJune said:

We don't do tableside caesars and it would be highly impractical during service to make caesar dressing to order.

ChefJune said:

Where I worked we made Caesar ahead too - it would, without any taste changes, keep very nicely. A fast-paced kitchen it is not conducive to making Caesar, or any other dressing, "per order". Unless it is made table side it just doesn't flow.

And Caesar salad dressing does, indeed, contain anchovies - and I have always used raw eggs - if I was making a lot I would switch from a few whole eggs and then add egg whites for the rest.

Last edited:
Sorry Nicholas, but the reason for the anchovy taste in Caesar dressing is not the Worchestershire sauce, it's the anchovies. True Caesar has anchovies and I love them, but most people refuse to use them in their dressing because it turns them off. I think it misses something without anchovies.

I just got that information from Alton Brown and a couple internet sites focusing on food history. According to these sources, the original caesar preparation at table side used worcestershire sauce (which contains anchovy itself). Apparently over time people tried to adapt the recipe, and many restaurants used anchovy paste and garlic. Then came the deal of laying a few whole anchovy filets atop the salad. I like the traditional recipe, along with recipes made with anchovy paste or mashed filets - but whole filets on top of or tossed withthe romaine just overwhelm the other flavors to me.

Lately I've been using the traditional ingredients of Olive Oil, coddled egg yolks (I use raw), lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, S&P, and parmesan cheese tossed at the end - along with romaine and garlic croutons.

Nicholas Mosher said:
I just got that information from Alton Brown and a couple internet sites focusing on food history. According to these sources, the original caesar preparation at table side used worcestershire sauce (which contains anchovy itself). Apparently over time people tried to adapt the recipe, and many restaurants used anchovy paste and garlic. Then came the deal of laying a few whole anchovy filets atop the salad. I like the traditional recipe, along with recipes made with anchovy paste or mashed filets - but whole filets on top of or tossed withthe romaine just overwhelm the other flavors to me.

That is correct. Caesar Cardini's original recipe contained no actual anchovies except for what was in the worcestershire sauce. Anchovy was later added as other people made their own interpretations of the salad.

Caesar salads are one of those simple dishes that I judge restaurants by. I really love it when the restaurant gives huge descriptions of it's dishes - a great way for an establishment to make or break it's image for me.

I ate out at a place in Northampton Massachusetts a while back who's menu described it's "Traditional Caesar" as one that would make Caesar Cardini proud... it's dressing was mayo based and featured "Whole Anchovy Filets" along with parmesan garlic toasts... :dry: :LOL: Caesar salads are pretty difficult to mess up - and this one was terrible (although the parmesan toasts were great!). I also tried their "Perfectly Roasted Chicken" with the house Pilaf. All in all the meal was $25 and I won't be going back.

The person who ate with me loved her meal though - Orechiette and Grilled Chicken swimming in a pool of sundried tomato cream sauce with asparagus tips. Ah well...

I'm only picky when I'm paying... :ROFLMAO:

Nicholas Mosher said:
Caesar salads are one of those simple dishes that I judge restaurants by. I really love it when the restaurant gives huge descriptions of it's dishes - a great way for an establishment to make or break it's image for me.

I ate out at a place in Northampton Massachusetts a while back who's menu described it's "Traditional Caesar" as one that would make Caesar Cardini proud... it's dressing was mayo based and featured "Whole Anchovy Filets" along with parmesan garlic toasts... :dry: :LOL: Caesar salads are pretty difficult to mess up - and this one was terrible (although the parmesan toasts were great!). I also tried their "Perfectly Roasted Chicken" with the house Pilaf. All in all the meal was $25 and I won't be going back.

The person who ate with me loved her meal though - Orechiette and Grilled Chicken swimming in a pool of sundried tomato cream sauce with asparagus tips. Ah well...

I'm only picky when I'm paying... :ROFLMAO:

Their "traditional" Caesar is about as traditional as a sun-dried tomato cream sauce would be in Italian cuisine. What was it, an "Italian" restaurant, Mediterranean, or just one of those places that has no identity and serves a whole bunch of stuff?

So, what do you guys consider to be a true Greek salad? Every time I’ve had a Greek salad, it’s had lettuce in it......But I’ve read that a “true” Greek salad does not?

Back
Top Bottom