Wedding costs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And I think they way you did it is great Katie. There is nothing wrong with throwing a wedding for short money. It can be as magical or even better than a wedding that cost a million dollars. Of course the opposite can be true as well.

We had over 250 guests at our wedding. Just feeding that many people is going to necessitate a certain dollar amount. We obviously would not be able to do that for $50. My wife and I did not know every single person there, but the day was not just about us. It was about our friends and family too. My parents had friends there that I had no idea who they were. It meant a lot to my parents they they were there though. My in laws had family there that we had never met before. It meant everything to my in laws to have them there though. We did know the majority of the people there though and every single person there were there because we wanted them to share in our special day. There is no way we could have done that for $50 or $75 or whatever.

I guess my point is that there is nothing wrong with spending as much as you want on a wedding if you want to.

I would have loved to have had a larger wedding the second time but, by the time Buck and I got married, most of our family (sadly) was dead. Really. Only Buck's mother was living. My youngest brother gave me away. So we didn't have any family friends we were not familiar with, etc. That would've been fun when the pictures were developed. Trying to figure out who the people were. There are always some "mystery" people.

I had the gown of my dreams and I have worn it several times since the wedding because of the kind of gown it is.

Fortunately, we had the venue until late at night and all the wedding party and about half of the guests spent hours sitting in the library talking and laughing and drinking champagne. We all kicked off our shoes and had a ball.

Good times!

When I married the first time in 1964, it was a cheap wedding, only closest relatives were invited. dad couldn't afford something lavish. When I remarried to 2 nd husband, who paid for our wedding , it was cheap too, held in a firehouse, food was catered. When my younger son got married, it was a big Italian wedding, the works ! Must have cost son's father in law thousands. :rolleyes: When my older son married first time, the wedding was at my home, we provided the food. When same son remarried to 2nd wife, the wedding was at his house, and his wife made some of the food, some guests brought food.

Hey, if money is no object then have a nice wedding---just try and make things work out (keeping a marriage intact is a partnership and involves hard work and plain idiocy at times) and if counseling is necessary then take advantage of it. Now if there is emotional and physical abuse, alcoholism, gambling, other addictions, etc., that's different. No one should have to put up with that if the spouse refuses to get help. Ok, knock the soapbox from underneath my feet...I'll chill for awhile

6 month ago I was looking at some wedding stuff on the net, I needed inspiration for articles.
This is what I found:

The world's most expensive wedding was thrown by Lakshmi Mittal for his daughter Vanisha Mittal and and her fiancée Amit Bhatia on June 22 2004.

The wedding was held at Vaux le Vicomte a 17th-century French chateau on the final day of a 6 day celebration.

The estimated reported cost of the wedding celebration came in at a mere $60 million USD.

Glimpsing a fairytale wedding
It is one of the biggest events on the Indian social calendar this year. The only trouble is, it is taking place in France, and journalists are strictly banned. Read this just for a laugh

-----------------------

Martin Katz Jewelers and Renee Strauss, a bridal couture designer, have created a $12 million dress that is the Most Expensive Wedding Gown in History.

No it is not, this one is the most expensive dress!!!:cool:

Stunning designs and sparkling jewellery will be turning heads at the first Dubai Fashion and Diamonds show being held in the emirate next week.

The elite event is to be showcased at the Burj Al Arab’s Al Falak Ballroom on November 23 and 24, for royalty from region and invited VIPs only. Members of the public will then have the chance to glimpse the exhibits at the Dubai Ladies’ Club on November 25.

Among the most anticipated items on display is the world’s most expensive wedding dress which is encrusted with multiple gems and carries a price tag of a mere 1 billion Japanese yen (Dh31.2 million).

Its designer Yumi Katsura will be in attendance to meet guests and discuss her record breaking triumph.

You know I just can't help but try and erase the memory of thousands of Indians living on the streets (the naked children and babies would tear your hearts out) of Mumbai that could benefit from 60 million dollars. I'm sorry---it's just obscene that so much is spent on very two young people.........I really had to gag at their pasted on smiles......no warmth whatsoever.......but that's me.......

I have been to some beautiful weddings, which I'm sure cost a pretty penny. I just don't understand why people would go in debt (sometimes many years worth) to pay for a wedding. My daughter's wedding was nice but not fancy. She had a really pretty (used once) dress that someone gave (or loaned) her. Family and friends decorated the little fellowship hall of the church where they were married. The biggest expense was the caterer and the cake, and I don't think they were much (someone else paid for them).

James and I were married (5 years ago this month--the 21st) in a little local chapel. The judge who married us charged $50 but said we didn't have to pay (we suspect James's boss at the time might have paid it--he was a friend of the judge). Our pastor and his wife were there as guests, and she took pictures for us (with our camera). I made my "wedding" dress (a regular dress of white fabric with a tiny red print--I finished hemming it that day during a break at work!). After the wedding (which was at 6:00 p.m.) we went to a Mexican restaurant with a few of the friends who had come. My friend Sandee had made a sheet cake. We all had some after our meal, and we brought the rest of it to Myrtle Beach with us.

Not money related, but one of the best memories I have of our wedding was that even though my daughter couldn't be there for it, she was still there in a way. We called her and the phone sat on the altar during the ceremony!

:)Barbara

Last edited:
i got married on 7-7-07.
we spent quite a lot, about 30.000 $ (less in euro).
it's a lot, not really a low budget, but we just had home and everything because we were yet living together, no need of a new car or anything else so we decided to have a beautiful party with all our friends and relatives.
to tell the truth we didin't spend a lot in clothes or cars or anything, the only things we care was catering (it was more than perfect) the location and music.
as favour we made a donation to a local society which take care of terminal cancer persons and it was more appreciated than everything else.
i loved my wedding, it was a dream but it's not the budget the thing that make different.
if we had less money we had a more little party, no matter, just love;)

We did the donation thing as our favors as well pavellina. We made a sizable donation to the Jimmy Fund. Each guest got a very nice card saying a donation had been made in their name.

I've never posted a picture on here before.. so don't know if this will work....

Attachments

• wedding.jpg
    wedding.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 54
It was real. I just went to Hobby Lobby and picked out flowers and colors I liked (with their fake flowers) and took it to the grocery store we went to, and they did the best they could to copy it with real flowers. I was very impressed.

November. No particular reason why.. He proposed the day after Valentines Day, while I was still in cosmetology school. I knew I wanted to wait until I graduated, So I just planned it for a month after my graduation date. We had a cold wedding and a cold honeymoon!! We went to Colorado for a week. I told him on our 10 year wedding anneversary (if we can) I'd like to go to Hawaii!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom