What are some of your favorite old movies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mish said:
Actually, the guy's name is Bogart!!!

40.gif
doh!!

pdswife said:
Breakfast at Tiffany's is my favorite
( we just named the new baby chick KATIE and her sister's name is NO NAME CHICK)

I've always enjoyed, MA and Pa Kettle
Oh and MINE YOURS AND OURS is really good too.
There are so so many good old ones.

Love all of these pdswife! I just saw Breakfast at Tiffany's for the first time not long ago.

What are some other Audrey Hepburn movies that are really good?

Boy I haven't seen any Ma & Pa Kettle since I was a little girl.

On The Waterfront
all the Thin Man movies (HH's nose is shaped exactly like Mr. Powell's)
To Kill A Mockingbird
The Long Hot Summer
A Streetcar Named Desire
30 Seconds Over Tokyo
Zorba The Greek
The Rose Tattoo
Cat On A Hot Tin Roof (can you tell I'm a Tennessee Wms fan?)
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
I Remember Mama
The Yearling
Pride and Prejudice (Greer Garson, Larry Olivier version)
Metropolis
The Great Dictator
The Maltese Falcon (with "that guy")
The African Queen (also with "that guy")
Walk Don't Run
Period of Adjustment

should I stop now?

katluvscake said:
Wow I guess you all are going to consider me a youngster in the movies I consider old but the first Willy Wonka is my favorite.

LOL.....its whatever anyone considers an old movie. I thought the movie Good Fellas was an old movie and come to find out it was made in the 90's......go figure.

Sizz, you must see them all. Mother Mudbug is determined that you get a serious education in good film-making.

You might have to get most of these from NetFlix, tho. Rarely found in your local video rental joint anymore, more's the pity.

Old movies

How about these fir Oldies?

Maltese Falcon, Treasure of Sierra Madre, Bogart
Call of the Wild, Clark Gable and Jack Okie
Beau Guest, Randolf Scott (or was it Gary Cooper? I like them both!)

Saturday after noon it was; Captain Marvel followed by; Hoot Gibson, William Boyd, Roy Rogers, Bob Steele, Gene Aurty.

All for a dime too!
Charlie

I can't believe all the movies you all have come up with. Sad to say that a lot of the video stores around here are starting to do away with the really old ones. I'm going to check out the store in the larger town that neighbors ours and see what they have.

Mother Mudbug.....I will def. look for your recommendations too.

pdswife.......I've heard of that movie but haven't seen it. Thanks for the link too.

Again ..... thanks everyone!

Our local video rental joint (not Blockbuster, but I suspect they are doing something similar) is starting to carry more and more DVDs of recent TV shows, which I am soooo not interested in (unless it's the Sopranos).

Saving Private Ryan.

I love "The Godfather" too, and have all of its parts in my small movie collection.

I must say "Saving Private Ryan" is the movie for those who don't mind war movies. Now, I know it's not very old movie as yet, so perhaps the bestest of all best old war movies is "Dam Busters". If anyone hasn't seen it yet; heaps of airplanes and technical matters is in. And of course the history as it's a real thing about the preparation of what did happen one night many years ago :eek:)

nucleus said:
I love "The Godfather" too, and have all of its parts in my small movie collection.

I must say "Saving Private Ryan" is the movie for those who don't mind war movies. Now, I know it's not very old movie as yet, so perhaps the bestest of all best old war movies is "Dam Busters". If anyone hasn't seen it yet; heaps of airplanes and technical matters is in. And of course the history as it's a real thing about the preparation of what did happen one night many years ago :eek:)

The first time I tried watching Private Ryan I had to turn it off..........It was right after it came out on video. I think I made it through maybe 10-15 minutes of it......not a long time I know. It was several years later that I tried it again and made it through the whole movie. If you haven't seen it and are sensitive to the war then I warn you it'll really get to ya. Its an excellent movie though but be prepared.

The first time I tried watching Private Ryan I had to turn it off..........It was right after it came out on video. I think I made it through maybe 10-15 minutes of it......not a long time I know. It was several years later that I tried it again and made it through the whole movie. If you haven't seen it and are sensitive to the war then I warn you it'll really get to ya. Its an excellent movie though but be prepared.

SizzlininIN, you described Saving Private Ryan exactly.
The first part of the movie is very powerful. I don't know how they could make it so well. The rest too, roles are played the way it all comes interesting. Actually, the movie has also one big although hardly visible error, I searched for this in one site about mistakes in movies, or in google, and no mention of it. It's about one person missing from a group count in one section; this was when the group was meant to be "together" as they were walking across a field for many seconds, one person is not in there!

Don't you love it when you figure out those little errors in a movie. Wished I could think of some off the top of my head.

SizzlininIN said:
I recently saw for the first time "The Godfather". I loved it! I love the old gangster/mob movies. What are some of your old favorites gangster or romance? I'm talking the old ones (with sound of course :LOL: ). NOTE: I'm not a fan of westerns......sorry!

Going with the revised title of the thread Favorite Old Movies (not gangster or necessarily romance), these are a few Old Movies I enjoyed:

The Postman Always Rings Twice (original version with Lana Turner)
Double Indemnity
42nd Street (Any Busby Berkley flicks, also Zigfeld Follies)
Vertigo
Rebecca
Strangers on a Train
Rear Window - ALL of Hitchcock's films
Top Hat - All the Fred & Ginger flicks
Now Voyager - Most of Bette Davis' flicks
Bridge on the River Kwai
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Most of Jimmy Stewart's flicks
Anything with Henry Fonda - i.e. Grapes of Wrath
To Kill A Mockingbird
Sunset Blvd.
Old Esther Williams' flicks - for the swimming choreography
In Cold Blood
The Onion Field (yep, Ted Danson was in that one)
Mildred Pierce
All About Eve
Casablanca - classic - & most of Bogie's flicks
I'll Cry Tomorrow - Susan Hayward
The Lost Weekend (Ray Milland)
Days of Wine & Roses & The Apartment (Jack Lemmon sp)
A Place in the Sun (Elizabeth Taylor & Montgomery Clift, Shelly Winters)
I Confess (Montgomery Clift)
Dances with Wolves
Apocolypse Now
Deer Hunter
Rebel Without a Cause
Splendor in the Grass
Arthur
Private Benjamin
Witness For The Prosecution - Marlene Dietrich

The flick with Marcello Mastriani - where the man and woman were stranded on a desert Island & couldn't stand each other, LOL - Can't think of the name at the moment. The 'remake' with Harrison Ford & Ann Hesche, was the pits, IMO.

Re Breakfast At Tiffany's - I never 'got it' (plot line etc.), or found it enjoyable -- perhaps because I saw it as a kid. I did find Ms. Hepburn's performances far more enjoyable in My Fair Lady and Wait Until Dark.

Sure there are many more I'll probably think of later.

Last edited:
chocojun said:
Oh I loved Private Benjamin! Good one

That film really made me laugh...and I love Eileen Brennan (sp) as well. Only thing that put a bit of a damper on it (for me), was watching it in a private screening room, & the projectionist put the reels on out of sequence -- then getting on the theta (microphone to the projectionist) to wake him up. DUH!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom