What are the reasons to use sesame oil at the end of cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Toasted sesame oil, which is what you are referring to, adding at the end, has a lower smoke point, plus the flavor stays with it better, just adding at the very end. In India, untoasted sesame oil is used a lot as a cooking oil, but China, Japan, Korea, and SE Asia use the toasted a lot, as a flavoring.

Toasted sesame oil, which is what you are referring to, adding at the end, has a lower smoke point, plus the flavor stays with it better, just adding at the very end. In India, untoasted sesame oil is used a lot as a cooking oil, but China, Japan, Korea, and SE Asia use the toasted a lot, as a flavoring.
I do too. I love it! I always drizzle on homemade fried rice before serving. I also like a drizzle on my homemade hummus.

Another thing I use it for is cookies! I make some sesame cookies every year, and I replace 1/4 of the butter with toasted sesame oil. Adds a fantastic flavor!

Flavor. I remember the first time I knowingly tasted sesame oil. I was in a cooking class in high school and we made egg rolls. It called for a few drops of sesame oil . Once I smelled and tasted it, it was a real ' Ah ha ' moment for me. I knew the flavor but never knew where it came from. I've had a bottle on hand ever since ( once I owned my own place. Im guessing my dad had some too.)

I've had tahini cookies and they were terrific.

Actually, Koreans use it as a cooking oil, not just as a flavoring.

Back
Top Bottom