What are you baking today? | 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My sister is coordinating the food and mom is paying for it! I should know tomorrow what they came up with. Small lobster rolls are one definite item on the menu! I wish that I liked lobster, but the guests should be happy!

If this was more in my control, I'd have it all planned out, but I'm going to let my sister handle it, and not stress about it!

2 Weeks from tomorrow!!!!:ohmy:

You'll stress! :w00t2:
I wish we could all join you via webcam, can't wait for the pictures!

We will all be thinking about you on your special day! :flowers:

You'll stress! :w00t2:
I wish we could all join you via webcam, can't wait for the pictures!

We will all be thinking about you on your special day! :flowers:

Oh I'll find something to stress about! :LOL:

I'll definitely pop in to give you all an update on the progress. Maybe I'll just start a thread!

Thank you for sharing this recipe Bea :)

This is the recipe I use. It is an old recipe that makes a basic pie, nothing fancy.

Grammy’s Custard Pie
4 eggs slightly beaten
¼ t salt
½ cup granulated sugar
½ T almond extract
½ t vanilla extract
2 T soft or melted butter (you can melt the butter while heating the milk)
3 cups scalded milk
Nutmeg to taste

1 Unbaked pie crust

Combine all ingredients and pour into prepared crust and sprinkle with additional nutmeg.

Bake at 450 degrees F for 10 minutes and reduce temperature to 325 degrees F and bake an additional 30 to 40 minutes, until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

Notes:

½ cup of coconut can be added to this basic mixture.

I usually do this using a blender and heat the milk in the microwave.

My sister is coordinating the food and mom is paying for it! I should know tomorrow what they came up with. Small lobster rolls are one definite item on the menu! I wish that I liked lobster, but the guests should be happy!

If this was more in my control, I'd have it all planned out, but I'm going to let my sister handle it, and not stress about it!

2 Weeks from tomorrow!!!!:ohmy:
Your sister probably wants to handle it as a gift to you--nice of you to let her do that. I would love to do that for my brother. And, just send me the address and I'll be there to eat all the leftover lobster rolls! And, give mom a big hug and kiss for paying for the food. Can't wait to see the pictures!

Oh I'll find something to stress about! :LOL:

I'll definitely pop in to give you all an update on the progress. Maybe I'll just start a thread!

Just please refrain from updating DURING the wedding! :LOL: Two weeks...just perfect for a nervous breakdown. :ohmy: Nah, kidding. Relax, everything will be fine. And if it doesn't go as planned, who's to know? It's not like you're handing each guest a play-by-play script of the day, right? :ermm:

I want to make Flora's Peach Cream Pie...

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f40/flora-bs-peach-cream-pie-tnt-100-years-72777.html

Ontario peaches are ripe...I have a busy weekend planned, so probably won't do it this weekend, but will pick up the peaches mid-week and make it next weekend.

CW, that recipe looks very good, and very rich! :yum:

My Mom taught me to make the most delightful, light peach pie. Bake an empty shell. Peel and slice your fresh peaches and set aside. Make a glaze for the peaches with water/sugar/corn starch and a couple peach pits to add color. Mom would then put the peaches into the shell and pour the glaze over them. I put the glaze over the peaches in a bowl, then use a slotted spoon to lift them from the glaze. When done filling the shell, top with freshly whipped cream and enjoy.

This was dessert for Father's Day for years. When we moved and it was just the two of us I kinda stopped making it. Now I want it - think I'll make a small pie of it soon.

Your sister probably wants to handle it as a gift to you--nice of you to let her do that. I would love to do that for my brother. And, just send me the address and I'll be there to eat all the leftover lobster rolls! And, give mom a big hug and kiss for paying for the food. Can't wait to see the pictures!

My sis has very little money, having her do this is better than any gift she could have ever bought! I'm very grateful.

My mom is so excited that she could burst! You bet that she'll get a big thank you!

Just please refrain from updating DURING the wedding! :LOL: Two weeks...just perfect for a nervous breakdown. :ohmy: Nah, kidding. Relax, everything will be fine. And if it doesn't go as planned, who's to know? It's not like you're handing each guest a play-by-play script of the day, right? :ermm:

I'm still calm, for now...

My sis has very little money, having her do this is better than any gift she could have ever bought! I'm very grateful.

My mom is so excited that she could burst! You bet that she'll get a big thank you!
All the better--she's giving you a gift from her heart. It is really tough when funds are tight and you want to do s/thing for s/one you love. She's giving her time and her talent--I know you treasure her (and she adores you and wants the two of you to be happy)!!!!!!

CW, that recipe looks very good, and very rich! :yum:

My Mom taught me to make the most delightful, light peach pie. Bake an empty shell. Peel and slice your fresh peaches and set aside. Make a glaze for the peaches with water/sugar/corn starch and a couple peach pits to add color. Mom would then put the peaches into the shell and pour the glaze over them. I put the glaze over the peaches in a bowl, then use a slotted spoon to lift them from the glaze. When done filling the shell, top with freshly whipped cream and enjoy.

This was dessert for Father's Day for years. When we moved and it was just the two of us I kinda stopped making it. Now I want it - think I'll make a small pie of it soon.
August is peach season in MN and Ontario. We wait for peaches to make this pie. It has been a family tradition since before I was born. Yes, it is rich (but very good for breakfast the next day). I don't normally eat sweets, but I eat this.

If it doesn't go as planned, your guests will have something to remember. And so will the both of you. How many weddings have you been to that were so very different from any other and stands out in your mind?

We definitely need to start a thread called, "The Wedding." I am getting so excited. You would think it was one of my own kids. :angel:

If it doesn't go as planned, your guests will have something to remember. And so will the both of you. How many weddings have you been to that were so very different from any other and stands out in your mind?

We definitely need to start a thread called, "The Wedding." I am getting so excited. You would think it was one of my own kids. :angel:

Plus, if you don't let on that it's an "oops" they'll tell you they've "never seen it done that way" and that your way (AKA "the oops:) was "sooooo very special and different". Meanwhile, they never knew you were frantically, quietly signaling the priest during the consecration that he forgot something during the exchange of vows :ohmy:...:ROFLMAO:

My most favorite parts of my first wedding, were the mis-spelling of the groom's name on the cake and the Mother in law letting out a big snore during the ceremony...

Not baking anything today but did make a pate brisee in anticipation of baking a blueberry pie tomorrow and the pastry has to chill overnight.

Still not too motivated because I'm hopelessly stuck in "vacation mode." Yeah!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom