What are you baking today? | 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is the pumpkin pie that I made today.
World’s Best Pumpkin Pie Recipe

I must say that it was very good. It definitely isn't a re-invention of pumpkin pie, its still the familiar flavor and texture, but the sweetened condensed milk and maple syrup seem to give it a little "something". I'm not really a fan of pumpkin pie, but this one was as good as I've ever had! It will be interesting to see how the flavor develops tomorrow.

The recipe is a bit fussy since it uses less than an entire can of pumpkin and sweetened condensed milk. She has the ingredients in weights so it was easy to just set the mixing bowl on the scale and weigh the ingredients.

I've always made Libby's but I like the flavor of this one a bit better.

Almond and Frangipane Tart

Made this recipe today.

1. The prepared crust in the tart pan
2. The frangipane spread onto the crust
3. Pear slices in place and ready to bake
4. Apricot glaze ready to go
5. Baked tart
6. Glaze applied
7. Tonight's dessert

The taste was great but the crust didn't cook enough. It was undercooked under the fruit. I'd make it again with an eye to cooking the crust better. The recipe seemed a little fussy, directing me to put the crust and the tart pan into the freezer for 30 minutes before I spread the frangipane and added the pears. That seems like an unnecessary step and probably was a cause of the undercooked crust.

Attachments

• DSC04152.jpg
    DSC04152.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC04153.jpg
    DSC04153.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC04154.jpg
    DSC04154.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC04155.jpg
    DSC04155.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC04156.jpg
    DSC04156.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC04157.jpg
    DSC04157.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC04159.jpg
    DSC04159.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 144
Made this recipe today.

5. Baked tart
6. Glaze applied
7. Tonight's dessert

The taste was great but the crust didn't cook enough. It was undercooked under the fruit. I'd make it again with an eye to cooking the crust better. The recipe seemed a little fussy, directing me to put the crust and the tart pan into the freezer for 30 minutes before I spread the frangipane and added the pears. That seems like an unnecessary step and probably was a cause of the undercooked crust.

I've started cooking pies on the bottom rack near the source of heat, especially for pies that take a shorter time to cook.

Maybe a blind bake on the crust could have helped.

It's a beautiful tart, Andy!

I thought of cranberries, but for a competition, I want to make it "out of the box" but not too far out.

I've started cooking pies on the bottom rack near the source of heat, especially for pies that take a shorter time to cook.

Maybe a blind bake on the crust could have helped.

Me too. I always had a problem with my bottom crusts not being cooked enough. Since I now put them on the bottom shelf, problem solved. :angel:

Made this recipe today.

5. Baked tart
6. Glaze applied
7. Tonight's dessert

Great looking tart!

I think the undercooked crust is due to baking it on the sheet pan. I would set the sheet pan on the lowest oven rack and the tart on a higher oven rack, it will still catch any spills and allow the hot air to reach the bottom of the tart pan. Also baking with the tart pan on a preheated pizza stone would help to crisp up the bottom.

Last edited:
Winner, Winner...Shrek likes this better than pumpkin pie, I like it, too...still partial to pie.

When I make these for work, I'm going to plump some raisins, add chopped walnuts and coconut. Make them as muffins for easy serving.

Plump the raisins in a little boiling water and a shot of Myers Dark Rum! ;)

I'm playing in flour today. Trying another English muffin recipe. I have one I've used for years but the last two times I made muffins using that recipe they just didn't ring my chimes like they used to.

So...I've been testing different new (to me) recipes this week. Made an Alton Brown one on Monday that was fabulous and will tweak it to alter the height of the muffins. Translated that means less dough per ring. Otherwise they were superb. One of the great things about his method is that they are cooked on an electric griddle. Loved that!

Today I'm making a recipe from the King Arthur flour folks. So far, so good and I have great expectations for these muffins, too.

When I am baking a pie, I brush the bottom crust with a light egg wash and let it air dry in the fridge while I am preparing the filling. Then placing it on the bottom rack gives me a well done bottom crust. The dried egg wash helps prevent it from becoming soggy from the juices of the fruit. In spite of tossing the fruit lightly in flour, there are still juices. Which is a good thing. But they are thickened juices. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom