What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you priced nuts lately????? Henry's Farmer's market (left coast chain) had pecan PIECES for $8.79 lb in bulk. But Costco has 2 lbs of HALVES for $8.89. Walnuts seem a little cheaper, but wow everything has gone up so much!

I can just imagine........the last time I was in Houston (June) I was shocked at the prices.......I can just imagine what they must be like now...........if you own your property and know that you're going to be there a few years try planting some pecan trees..........not only will they provide shade but they'll give you nuts as well......of course you'll have to make a deal with the squirrels......:)

I can just imagine........the last time I was in Houston (June) I was shocked at the prices.......I can just imagine what they must be like now...........if you own your property and know that you're going to be there a few years try planting some pecan trees..........not only will they provide shade but they'll give you nuts as well......of course you'll have to make a deal with the squirrels......:)

I have a good recipe for squirrel....also have one for rabbits that fancy my garden and deer that nibble my shrubbery and Mama's flowers. I have a problem with sharing my harvest with critters.:angel:

JoeV

I baked a batch of blueberry muffins this morning and plan to bake some chocolate-chocolate chip cupcakes for dessert this evening. :punk: We've got chocolate and vanilla icing, crushed Oreos and rainbow sprinkles to decorate with. :mrgreen:

Well I'm contemplating cinnamon buns with cream cheese icing. I'll likely do those and then do some kind of pie thingy for dessert. Maybe my twist on Crewsk's chocolate peanut butter pie.

Nothing today; going to do the street fair scene in Carlsbad instead. Thinking of trying the NYT bread tomorrow. I've got a medium sized Romer Topf just waiting for some action. Hey, JoeV: do you have to grease it or just leave it as is?

Nothing today; going to do the street fair scene in Carlsbad instead. Thinking of trying the NYT bread tomorrow. I've got a medium sized Romer Topf just waiting for some action. Hey, JoeV: do you have to grease it or just leave it as is?

Dave,

You do not have to grease your clay baker. I spray my parchment paper with cooking spray, and the finished loaf drops right out. I had one loaf stick to the parchment paper, so I've sprayed ever since. Have you checked out the parchment paper tutorial?

JoeV

I'll be serving as an election official on Tuesday and everyone brings all kinds of homemade goodies to enjoy during the long day.

I just finished making two different batches of cake mix cookies. One of butter cake mix that I added chopped nuts and flaked coconut to and another of devils food cake mix with semi-sweet and milk chocolate chips and chopped nuts.

Each recipe made 4 dozen so I'm set. The house smells yummy, too.

Hi, all. I'm brand new here and preparing for Christmas baking. I'm a northern California resident and dragees (those beautiful tiny silver balls we remember on cookies) are not available for purchase in California. Does anyone know where in Ashland or Medford, Oregon I could purchase them? Thanks in advance - happy baking!:chef:

Hi DaisyDiana and welcome to DC!

I don't know the answer to your question, but wanted to let you know that you'll probably have better luck if you start a new thread about it. The Cookies Forum is probably your best bet.

Made a sandwich loaf with Bob's Red Mill graham flour. Not sure exactly how this flour supposed to be different from regular whole wheat, so I picked some up the other day to try it out.

The loaf is still cooling, haven't tasted it yet or even seen the crumb.

Took the picture with the camera built into my Macbook, it's probably not the best shot you've ever seen.

Attachments

• grahambread.jpg
    grahambread.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 195
Made a sandwich loaf with Bob's Red Mill graham flour. Not sure exactly how this flour supposed to be different from regular whole wheat, so I picked some up the other day to try it out.

The loaf is still cooling, haven't tasted it yet or even seen the crumb.

Took the picture with the camera built into my Macbook, it's probably not the best shot you've ever seen.

That's a mighty handsome loaf of bread. How did the crumb turn out? Crust? How about the flavor? I've never baked with graham flour.

JoeV

Well the results are in from my first attempt the NYT Bread recipe. First, let me say that I've been around so it takes a lot to impress me. I'm impressed!!! I studied JoeV's tutorial (most excellent) on the use of parchment paper VS. cotton towels (yuk!). I am so impressed I took the liberty of christening it "La Methode de JoeV Pour La Pain Sans Effort". (How's my French?) I took some very good photos, and despite the valient efforts of DW as well as myself I could not get the d---ed thing to work. Trust me, the crust is soooooooooo artisanal, and the crumb is to die for! Holes, glorious Holes!

The "Blob" at rest after 24 hours of frementation.

Dough ready to raise in the parchment lined basket

On the cooling rack

The above is an attempt to insert pix and tags. Pleawse let me know if it works. Thanks All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom