What are you canning/preserving today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Started canning winter pickles today. I put up several quarts of baby dills, and a couple of jars of beets (I'm the only one in the house who eats them). Next weekend: giardiniera and pickled jalapeno slices. :yum:

img_1380938_0_025b46f4b84bc54373aa33cec0598bc7.jpg

No canning today--TaxLady and I split packages of meat from the side of the grass-fed, free-range 6 mo. old Highland bull calf we snagged a couple of weeks ago.

No canning today, but planing on pickling some cucumbers, providing I can get dome decent ones st the farmer's market.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

No canning this year, the garden was the worst ever! No peppers, no tomatoes, few cukes, and the dogs ate all the green & yellow beams. The only thing doing well are my flowers and cherry tomatoes. Hmmm pickled zinnias anyone?

That's frustrating, Dave. Happened to my brother, rabbits and squirrels got everything. He replanted some tomatoes, big plants this time, and resowed some carrot seeds.

Steve Kroll, those look amazing! What's your secret? :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

No canning this year, the garden was the worst ever! No peppers, no tomatoes, few cukes, and the dogs ate all the green & yellow beams. The only thing doing well are my flowers and cherry tomatoes. Hmmm pickled zinnias anyone?
I hear you, Dave. Our tomato plants (some 300) have produced 7 ripe tomatoes. We have enough green tomatoes on the vines to float a boat and only about 5-6 weeks before frost. A few peppers, no eggplant, and the cukes are also not producing well. On the other hand, the winter squash and pumpkins look great. For the size of gardens we have, what we've been able to harvest is very disappointing and very behind this year. We did not get the summer heat we usually get and we've have more cloudy/rainy days than sunny. The tomatoes are no closer to being ripe today than they were 2 weeks ago.

We picked some bell peppers today which I will pickle soon as I get time.

And I have about 4 more pounds of my sauce 'maters too.

My basil plants are doing great, so I'm going to make more pesto and frozen basil cubes today. I will also roast and freeze some Roma tomatoes.

Here are couple of pictures

Attachments

• 1408308828902.jpg
    1408308828902.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 161
  • 1408308847301.jpg
    1408308847301.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 166
Load of blanched kale in the dehydrator. Last year we used it more than I ever thought we would...crumbled in risotto, minestrone, like parsley in just about everything.

I dug a couple of hundred garlic bulbs...they're curing in the middle of the living room floor. Sort of preserving ;).

Load of blanched kale in the dehydrator. Last year we used it more than I ever thought we would...crumbled in risotto, minestrone, like parsley in just about everything.

I dug a couple of hundred garlic bulbs...they're curing in the middle of the living room floor. Sort of preserving ;).
How long do you blanch the kale? I plan on doing some of these:

Dehydrator Recipe: Kale Chips with sea salt & smoked paprika

The kale isn't blanched--doesn't that increase the drying time? Is it necessary? I will probably cut the amount of salt back. We have lots of kale...it keeps in the garden until mid-November (although, one year, we picked it for Christmas dinner...).

How long do you blanch the kale? I plan on doing some of these:

Dehydrator Recipe: Kale Chips with sea salt & smoked paprika.

The Book says to blanch greens four minutes, but since I don't cool them down, I do more like a minute (or more for very thick leaves). Then the hot leaves go on the rack and immediately into the dehydrator and they finish 'cooking' on the rack. They stay a nice, dark green all year.

We had a cafe that made kale chips to go alongside their sandwiches. They massaged the oil into the leaves and that must break the fibers down...they looked cooked when they went in to dry. Blanching wouldn't be that important for chips, which aren't meant for long-term storage.

Back
Top Bottom