What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your Daddy does some fine looking woodworking, PF. Pegs instead of nails, too? Or is it just wood putty covering up sunken nail heads?

Himself was wondering what kinds of woods your Dad used. His guess is knotty pine seat with maple legs.

BTW, you have a very cute inspector. Himself was impressed with his paw of approval. ;)

Lovely, PF, and thank goodness, kitty-approved!

thank you, Django (his new, more appropriate name) thinks it's a great place to ambush his gramma's from.

Daddy does good work!

Yes, he does wonderful work. Mom says he's been waiting for me to ask him to build something. When I offered to pay for it, he told me "No". Turns out it is all reclaimed lumber. The only hardware is the screws holding the top on the frame. He did oak pegs to hold the frame together.

Your Daddy does some fine looking woodworking, PF. Pegs instead of nails, too? Or is it just wood putty covering up sunken nail heads?

Himself was wondering what kinds of woods your Dad used. His guess is knotty pine seat with maple legs.

BTW, you have a very cute inspector. Himself was impressed with his paw of approval. ;)

The legs are spruce, pine sides, fir top and the oak pegs. The legs were from a 4x4 he dug up in the yard, trimmed down to the good wood. The top is from shelves he had in his garage in Laramie, oak scraps he rounded, the sides 1x4's he took off the walls in the garage here. The top is two 2 x 8's glued and pegged together, planed smooth for a 15 inch wide seating surface. It is a total of 18 inches high and he put a satin varnish on to protect it until I decide if I want to make it match the table.

...Turns out it is all reclaimed lumber...
Geez, if YOUR Dad and MY Dad would ever have lived near each other, boy the two of them could have had a blast together. My Dad was great at repurposing and recycling things before they ever were a "thing".

...The legs were from a 4x4 he dug up in the yard, trimmed down to the good wood. The top is from shelves he had in his garage in Laramie, oak scraps he rounded...
Himself is greatly impressed.
ATT00014.gif

...the sides 1x4's he took off the walls in the garage here...
And is that wall still standing??? :ermm:

Geez, if YOUR Dad and MY Dad would ever have lived near each other, boy the two of them could have had a blast together. My Dad was great at repurposing and recycling things before they ever were a "thing".

Himself is greatly impressed.
ATT00014.gif

And is that wall still standing??? :ermm:

Dad has always been good at reusing. Thanks Himself, I'll let Dad know.

He built a work bench using old oak planks he found in his mother's garage, it was planking my Grand Father had removed when he contracted to replace a gymnasium floor, that was a beautiful bench. I helped with sanding and linseed oiling it.

He took the 1 x 4's down to insulate the garage and then put up drywall. He spends a lot of time in there in the winter.

Last edited:
My FIL kept saying he didn't deserve what we did for him. He's such a sweet man, and he's lost without his wife.

I think we made over 50 meals for him. We also encouraged him to take to the rehab facility some things my MIL really likes, like a special blanket, a couple of pillows and her favorite coffee cup and creamer.

This stroke hit DH's mother hard. She can't talk and can barely move. We're hoping she will improve enough that my FIL can take her home, but he will need a lot of help.

At least now his freezer is full of food and not just ingredients :)

Last edited:
Lovely gesture, and a lot of work, GG!

I cleaned out the coat closet. We have a whole bunch of coats that were rarely worn, and in excellent shape. Sadly, we no longer have a consignment shop in town. I'm hesitant to just drop them off at Goodwill so they can profit from them, but since I want to get rid of them, it's probably what I'll do.

These are adult coats. I don't have kids coats.

Maybe I'll check with some of the churches. DH and I both wear Talls.

Lovely gesture, and a lot of work, GG!

I cleaned out the coat closet. We have a whole bunch of coats that were rarely worn, and in excellent shape. Sadly, we no longer have a consignment shop in town. I'm hesitant to just drop them off at Goodwill so they can profit from them, but since I want to get rid of them, it's probably what I'll do.
Doesn't Goodwill use the money to pay the workers? That's how it was explained to me when I was kid.

Goodwill sells for a profit. They do pay their workers minimum wage. The guy who runs Goodwill makes millions.

I agree, adults need coats too!

Last edited:
DH and I tag-teamed it hee hee! I sat at the table and chopped and minced, then gave him directions for cooking much of it. When I did the cooking, I took frequent breaks.

I think the experience of planning and cooking for 25 teachers a couple times a year for the last 10 years helped a lot! :)

Dawg, it would be so rewarding to personally give a coat to someone who's cold. There are ways that can be done. I don't know that it would be a safe thing to do by going to a skid row, but it sure sounds like great solution. Maybe your local connection to those great United Way cooks could give you some answers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom