What are you eating and/or drinking to adapt to your weather?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
107 F here today. It's celestial seasons acai berry tea sweetened with strawberries & raspberries today. Hot dogs on the grill, pita chips & hummus. Anyone have a hummus recipe you care to recommend? I'd love to try and make my own hummus.

Hummus is so easy to make. I generally use dry garbanzo beans that I soak overnight and cook, but you can use canned.

4 c garganzo beans (we love hummus, so I make a fairly large batch)
1/4 c water in which beans were cooked (or from the can)
garlic (to taste--I use about 5-6 cloves)
lemon juice (freshly squeezed) (or lime if you're adding cayenne and cumin)
EVOO (probably 4-5 T)
cayenne pepper (or not)
cumin (or not)
Tahini (to taste--but I usually use about 3-5 T--again, to taste)

Process in the food processor so it is a smooth paste, adjusting liquid to achieve consistency desired. Top with a bit of EVOO and paprika - I like to use smoked paprika

For variations (one of the following)
roasted red peppers and top with parsley
Sun dried tomatoes
1/2 c toasted walnuts (you can sub the EVOO for walnut oil if adding walnuts)

If you don't have tahini, you can make your own.

Home Made Tahini Paste Recipe - Mediterranean - DedeMed - Mediterranean Diet Cooking Video Recipes

Last edited:
CWS, what do you do about the skins on the chick peas? I find that they give the hummus a funny texture that I don't like, so I make hummus with canned chick peas. I would prefer to use the dry beans.

CWS, what do you do about the skins on the chick peas? I find that they give the hummus a funny texture that I don't like, so I make hummus with canned chick peas. I would prefer to use the dry beans.
I remove the pot from the stove when they are done, add a couple of glasses of cold water. The skins crack and float to the surface and you can remove with a slotted spoon, stirring removes more skin. If still too many have skins still on, stick your hand in and gently massage the chickpeas (provided you've added enough cold water to get your hand in). At least, that's how I do it--not sure if there are other ways to do this?

Drinking water. Lots of water. Herbal ( no caffeine ) ice tea. Mint leaves, lemon or lime slices.

Cooking light, eating light.

Gazpacho Season has arrived. Yay. That's Definitely on the short list this week.

Even though my house has AC, the heat still makes me feel sluggish. I go for my morning walk at 5:30 or 6 am before it gets too hot. It doesn't cool off until way after dark, and I don't care to go walking then. We went swimming one day. I should do that again. :cool:

Thanks to those of you who shared hummus info. I love hummus and have it often, but have not made my own as of yet.

As far as eating and drinking according to the weather here, still having lots of fruits, veggies, yogurt and salads. Hoping to make up a batch of fried chicken later in the week, just so I can have cold fried chicken. With potato salad. :)

Water, Yeraba Mate and blondes. (Beer, that is.)

The garden has been spitting out onions, corn, cucumbers, watermelon, tomatoes and canalope like crazy this year. We've been throwing down pretty hard on that stuff. It's always refreshing to have a nice spread, on a killer hot day, of garden fresh fruits and veg. Looking forward to more great summer veggies as the season progresses. :)

Cheers.

This is not s/thing I eat or drink...but when the weather is like this (90+), I fill the soaker tub (it is big enough that I could teach a baby how to swim in it) with cold water. Since the shower is separate, it doesn't interfere with anyone's plans to shower. This does help keep the house a bit cooler, as does covering all the windows (I use sheets when it is hot like this--I hate window coverings, I live in the country and like as much natural light as possible the rest of the year, but don't want window coverings because I hate the amount of dust they collect--I know--an interior decorator would tell me my windows aren't "finished" because they aren't dressed--but I like natural light). My mother hates curtains, too, so I grew up without window coverings--I blame it on the Scandinavian gene! Or, maybe it is because my paternal grandmother drew all the shades and closed the curtains at 5 p.m. every night--felt as if one were spending the night in a cave... If the temps drop below 20C at night, I open the windows, closing them before the sun comes up.

Thanks to the Ontario government introducing TOU electricity rates, the central A/C only comes on after 7 p.m. and is shut off at 7 a.m. during the week and on weekends.

July 3rd: Greek Salad On Sticks With Feta Vinaigrette

Buon Giorno,

A light starter for dinner ... See photo ... :yum:

Attachments

• ENSALADA.jpg
    ENSALADA.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 149
That looks really good, MC!

CWS, I think I'm gonna try your hummus recipe for July 4th perhaps.
A perfect summer day alway involves home made salsa, guacamole, queso, hummus and a Corona with lots of lime!

That looks really good, MC!

CWS, I think I'm gonna try your hummus recipe for July 4th perhaps.
A perfect summer day alway involves home made salsa, guacamole, queso, hummus and a Corona with lots of lime!
+1

I have chickpeas soaking--I'm going to make hummus tomorrow. While soaking, you can also remove the skins by rubbing the peas between your fingers, but it is easier once they are cooked.

CWS4322 said:
Hummus is so easy to make. I generally use dry garbanzo beans that I soak overnight and cook, but you can use canned.

4 c garganzo beans (we love hummus, so I make a fairly large batch)
1/4 c water in which beans were cooked (or from the can)
garlic (to taste--I use about 5-6 cloves)
lemon juice (freshly squeezed) (or lime if you're adding cayenne and cumin)
EVOO (probably 4-5 T)
cayenne pepper (or not)
cumin (or not)
Tahini (to taste--but I usually use about 3-5 T--again, to taste)

Process in the food processor so it is a smooth paste, adjusting liquid to achieve consistency desired. Top with a bit of EVOO and paprika - I like to use smoked paprika

For variations (one of the following)
roasted red peppers and top with parsley
Sun dried tomatoes
1/2 c toasted walnuts (you can sub the EVOO for walnut oil if adding walnuts)

If you don't have tahini, you can make your own.

Home Made Tahini Paste Recipe - Mediterranean - DedeMed - Mediterranean Diet Cooking Video Recipes

Hey thanks for the recipe. I can't wait to try it. Sorry it took me so long to respond. Been a little preoccupied - work, life, etc. But am thrilled to get this recipe. I'll have a little fun with it tomorrow and let ya know the results.

Looks lovely Margi :)

I have just had some lovely hot pasties that we made, perfect for a cold day :)

to me it is mind-boggling that some of our dc friends can be eating and drinking to beat the heat while others look to a warm dish for comfort in their cold season climes--all at the same time....

Back
Top Bottom