What did you eat Tuesday, August 1, 2023?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Linguine and Broccoli Aglio Olio topped with ground red pepper flakes, and freshly grated parmigiano reggiano & pecorino romano cheese.

broccoli_aglio_olio_080123_IMG_1349.jpg

We've been eating light due to the humidity and heat. I had a bowl of cold korean braised soy beans which has such an interesting texture. I made frozen lemon bars and frozen blackberry bars and once they are frozen, I'll have one of those for dessert.

We had cold smoked salmon on bagels with cream cheese, sliced onion, and capers. A dill pickle and olives on the side for me. A dill pickle and pickled pearl onions on the side for DH. I've taken pictures lots of times and they are all very similar. You all know what smoked salmon on a bagel with a schmear looks like anyways.

For dessert we munched (sort of) locally grown yellow plums and apricots. So good. They come from Warner's Farm in Beamsville, Ontario. According to Google Maps that's about a 55 km drive from the town where @dragnlaw lives.

About a 30 min. drive in the middle of the night with no traffic. An hour's drive during the day.
They sound tasty, taxy, I'll keep a look out for them at the grocer's here. Actually, nope, will go to the Farmer's Market on Sat. morning and see what's going on!

As for supper, hmmm... seems I got busy and forgot and now it's too late. If I eat now I'll have nightmares (shudder).

Defrosted dark chicken cutlets from a previous on sale purchase. Sauteed them with a ton of garlic and served with couscous (quinoa for me) and leftover salads from the weekend - broccoli salad and slaw from a BBQ.

Yesterday, I made another batch of that pasta with raw tomatoes, only slightly different from last time. I started by soaking a cup of kamut a little over an hour, while making the rye bread dough, then cutting up over 3 lbs of tomatoes, and setting aside in a colander, to drain a little of the liquid (I didn't waste it - I just drank it! lol). Then I rinsed about 4/3 c (just what was left in the jar), then combined them in the Instant Pot, set manual for 13 min, and let them cook, and the pressure release, while chopping up all the rest of the ingredients, to combine with the tomatoes - minced garlic, minced Thai basil, chopped up the regular basil a little coarse, and chopped up a bunch of kalamata olives, and about 10 anchovies, and about 1/4 c salted capers, soaked well over an hour. And I added about a tb each of green and kalamata olive paste (that Greek stuff I get sometimes at Lidl). Stirred all this together, plus about 1/2 c olive oil, and a tb of red wine vinegar, and put in the fridge, drained the kamut and lentils, and continued with the rye bread.

When finished with the rye bread much later, I cooked a lb of pasta, and poured it over the lentils and kamut, to reheat them, then drained well, and mixed it with the tomato mix, in an 8 qt bowl. It all fit back in that 4 qt bowl, after I took a BIG bowl of it, so it wouldn't have mixed in that!
Here's the mix-tomatoes, garlic, basils, kalamata olives, chopped and paste, capers, anchovies, and olive oil and wine vinegar. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished raw tomato pasta, with some cooked kamut and channa dal, mixed with the pasta. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom