What Else Are You Making?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You go girl. Now you can have some fun!!

Those who don't enjoy different types of needlework/sewing don't understand how much fun it is when a new (or old) project is in the wings. It truly can be an addiction.

........aaaaahhhhh, get me away from the fabric store sales:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

And, let's not even speak of the 99-cent pattern sales at Hobby Lobby.....................

Fabric store sales - I had an aunt who had piles and piles of fabric that she had bought on sale. She didn't sew or quilt or do anything else with the fabric. :ermm: :LOL:

Okay folks so here is a challenge for you. I am looking for a new hobby but there are a lot of restrictions. First, it has to be very cheap. Second I have to be able to do it with arthritis. Second it has to be beautiful, nothing really tacky. What are your ideas?

joesfolk said:
Okay folks so here is a challenge for you. I am looking for a new hobby but there are a lot of restrictions. First, it has to be very cheap. Second I have to be able to do it with arthritis. Second it has to be beautiful, nothing really tacky. What are your ideas?

What about machine quilting? It really can be lovely and you can start by using scrap fabric that you might have on hand or old clothing or fabric or clothing from garage sales, flea markets etc. My Sil makes beautiful wall hangings, table runners, place mats, lap quilts and full size quilts.

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking

Two things come to mind:

Making pictures and greeting cards decorated with dried flowers. My Scottish ex MIL called them pliques. I pick wild flowers and garden flowers and leaves and dry them in a phone book.

Seminole patchwork is all done with a sewing machine, using really tiny stitching. Strips of fabric are sewn together and then the resulting piece is cut across the strips. Those strips are then sewn together, offset. It makes some lovely patterns.

Here's some examples:

Store-MarbleTileCoasters.jpg

I've always wanted to try it, but never have: How about paper-making? You can make anything you need for pennies from a hardware store and slowly grow into "more professional" equipment if it is something you enjoy. It's only limited by your imagination in what you put in your paper. Natural/un-natural dyes, seeds, dried flowers, pretty threads, etc. You can buy supplies or find them in your garden, home, etc. There are tons of free instructional pages online to help you. You can use your paper for cards, stationary, scent it for drawer liners. Most importantly, you can share how it works and I can live vicariously through you! :D

Here is a cool tutorial on simple paper-making!

Last edited:
Oh, that is a great idea. When I have a minute I'm going to look it up. Any more ideas?

You go girl. Now you can have some fun!!

Those who don't enjoy different types of needlework/sewing don't understand how much fun it is when a new (or old) project is in the wings. It truly can be an addiction.

........aaaaahhhhh, get me away from the fabric store sales:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

And, let's not even speak of the 99-cent pattern sales at Hobby Lobby.....................

joanns is having a 99 cent pattern sale starting on the 31st. i plan on being there. patterns are so expensive. in the new flyer from there they show the cutest little calico dresses with pinafores over them. also pattern for hat and bloomers. fell in love so will do for easter for two of great granddaughters. sisters. will finish my pillow cover and a pan for cats, this next week . so will have a solid run at them. easter is late this year so that will help.

i have two more, but their parents never bring them to see me, so will not make for them. figure if i do all that work should at least see them in them. is that petty? had easter baskets for them last year and called parents, never showed up or called. so i don't want to be twice burned.

guess i am not happy without a project in the wings.

pulled a sheet of instructions to make a fancy egg out of the plastic ones. looks interesting.

Oh, that is a great idea. When I have a minute I'm going to look it up. Any more ideas?

Perhaps look into how to make homemade spa-type products such as sugar scrubs and balms. There are many many how-to sites online. You can use expensive items or look for cheaper ones....avocado oil or olive oil....both give similar results but cost much different, for example. Dollar stores sell wonderful containers. Looking for cheaper containers and nice natural/soothing/inexpensive ingredients could be part of your hobby. :)

Some can be beautiful too.

Another great idea Kathleen, thanks.

Babetoo, just gave me a great idea. I don't sew any more because I rarely can find the space to spread stuff out and it always has to get put away before I am finished with the project but I am moving into a house with a huge walk up attic. I'm thinking I could keep my sewing machine set up and make a table to cut out patterns. It might get too hot up there but the windows all open so I could get a cross breeze. Maybe I can start sewing again. Worth looking into.

Babetoo, just gave me a great idea. I don't sew any more because I rarely can find the space to spread stuff out and it always has to get put away before I am finished with the project but I am moving into a house with a huge walk up attic. I'm thinking I could keep my sewing machine set up and make a table to cut out patterns. It might get too hot up there but the windows all open so I could get a cross breeze. Maybe I can start sewing again. Worth looking into.

I have found that Babetoo has awesome ideas! Good plan!

Oooh great thread :) I like to knit and crochet. Just finished a crocheted cardigan for my daughter yesterday, here's a picture!
2zej6ep.jpg

You just gotta have a dedicated sewing room! You'll get so much more accomplished by just having it already set up.

The attic will be perfect for your sewing room! I'm excited for you! I love having my own room to escape to, sometimes I even sew! Rofl!

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking

I know that dd has designs on the space but it is a big space and she is gone all day long. The more I think about this the more I like the idea. Right now it is just a big unfinished room (whole house big) but it does have a solid floor and electrical already wired up to it. Yup, I am definately getting ideas. DH is going to hate this...he thinks I have too many ideas already :0

my sewing machine is always out, in my computer/sewing room. all supplies are right next to it in sorta hutch. have set of plastic drawers, with needles, pins etc. i have a small ironing board i can leave up when i sew. the room is not big enough for my large cutting table. i like to set it up and leave in living room when i have a big project. like to see tv while i cut etc. just me here and i don't care. it frees up the dining room table. though i do use the table it for smaller projects with the cardboard table cover for sewing.

was looking at the pattern i wanted to use for the easter dresses. is pretty much just for toddlers. so on line i went, going to cobble two patterns together for aubrey. lilly is the toddler. they will match close enough, i think.

Since I live alone, I elected not to have a dining table, but put a computer desk there under the hanging light and keep my sewing machine on it.

I made a cute cover for the sewing machine just by folding over a pillow sham.

I have no excuse not to do something with it, usually only having to change thread.

I know, I'll take the cover off it and see if that doesn't nag me into getting some stuff done.

I need to add some elastic to a couple of pairs of shorts. Since losing weight, I've walked out of them.:ohmy: :ermm::ohmy:

Fortunately only when I was home alone.:angel:

I even have elastic.:LOL:

Last edited:
I made the cutest cozy for my favorite large tumbler. I made it with a bottom and up the sides with a pretty soft yellow.

By chance, I had a string of leafs made in a darkish green, which just fit around the top of the cozy, now imagine that with a cute ladybug button added with a plastic twist tie.

I love it when something uses me to create itself like that. It was just like I was only along for the ride.:clap:

Bah Humbug, have a friend who knows I paint on t's and aprons and bags,hats so she ordered a hat, jacket, 2 t'shirts for her grand daughter and some overalls for new grand son as well as several onezes awk anyone got a place I can hide?:ROFLMAO:
kadesma

Back
Top Bottom