what grains do you have iin your kitchen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

subfuscpersona

Sous Chef
What grains do you have iin your kitchen? Inquiring minds, accompanied by the idly curious, want to know.

whole grains, or flours? i have whole oats, barley, kascha (buckwheat), and flax, as well as regular ap flour and whole wheat flour.

subfuscpersona said:
What grains do you have iin your kitchen? Inquiring minds, accompanied by the idly curious, want to know.

This is not a safe question to ask a homebrewer!! :mrgreen:

We brewers have a bad habit of looking at a pantry and thinking, hmm, what can I ferment out of that?

Needless to say, there's various barley, flaked maize, rice, and wheat, although it's technically not IN the kitchen.

John
(I really don't drink NEARLY as much as I make it sound like...)

I have AP flour, self-rising flour, whole wheat bread flour, long-grain white rice, whole oats, about 1/2Tbsp of flax seeds(don't know what to do with them), & a packet of Shizen Green powcered barley drink mix(don't know if that one counts). I probably have more but I don't feel like going to look. :D

subfuscpersona said:
hi buckytom - no rice?

sorry subfuscpersona (mind if we call you subbie? subfussie sounds funny)

i forgot rice. we have basmati, white, brown, texmati, near east pilaf mixes, goya spanish mixes, and a long grain and wild combo.

crewsk said:
I have AP flour, self-rising flour, whole wheat bread flour, long-grain white rice, whole oats, about 1/2Tbsp of flax seeds(don't know what to do with them), & a packet of Shizen Green powcered barley drink mix(don't know if that one counts). I probably have more but I don't feel like going to look. :D

crewsk, the next time someone in your family gets "backed up", put a tbsp of flax seeds in some yogurt. good for the corn chute...

i eat them whole. you can tell the kids they're fleas or some kind of bug, and that you readh ere that they're really healthy for you...

now that I've checked the cupboards, here's my list

rice [converted white / basmati / short-grain brown / sweet brown]
wheat [hard red / soft]
corn [regular / popcorn]
oat groats
buckwheat groats
millet
barley
kamut
triticale

oh yeah - a little flax seed that I'm trying to figure out how to use - it was an impulse buy (is flax a grain?)

Re: now that I've checked the cupboards, here's my list

subfuscpersona said:
oh yeah - a little flax seed that I'm trying to figure out how to use - it was an impulse buy (is flax a grain?)

That's funny sub! Read back over mine & buckytoms posts here! :LOL:

LOL, mudbug!

Off the top of my head, I have AP, bread, whole wheat, rye and rice flours, wheat germ, pin oats and steelcut oats, good ole asian sticky rice (can't stand mahatma, et al), jasmine rice, stoneground cornmeal, and a bunch of grain-based crackers and stuff. That reminds me...I'm out of Triscuits.

Some things on this list aren't grains, but the question was posted in this section so I'm including all relavant food items:

Jasmine Rice
Basmati Rice
Calrose Rice
Alborio Rice
Yellow Cornmeal
Blue Cornmeal
Panko Breadcrumbs
Rice Flour
All-Purpose Flour
Cake Flour
Mochiko Flour
Spaghetti
Linguine
Penne
Orrechiette

I have:

basmati rice
red rice
black rice
brown rice
ap flour
wheat flour
pasta flour
barley
oats
wild rice
sushi rice
jasmine rice

mmmm.... think that's enough rice for now!!

thanks ironchef, i forgot:

panko, abborio rice, jasmine rice, short grain(sushi) rice, and several types of whole wheat (frozen fresh) pasta

oh no....if I list all the other stuff -

orecchiette
ww egg noodles
spaghetti rigati
papparadelle
tubettini
orzo
acini de pepi
capallini
those snail shaped shells
lasagna noodles
vermicelli
penne rigati

FYI - when the term "rigati" is used it just means the pasta has ridges (I've also seen it spelled rigata and rigate)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom