What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Had some leftover pulled pork. . . so that went on a toasted half of an english muffin, poached egg and sausage gravy. Like a porky Eggs B. A nap was soon to follow.

Breakfast and I are not close friends. A slice of toast or bread and butter and a cup of strong "builder's tea" in total silence with no-one bothering me is about all I can cope with.

And that is after I have got used to being vertical for half an hour or so!

I know a "proper" breakfast is good for you when you have a busy day but I'm an owl not a lark and operate better at the end of the day than the beginning. And I'm worse if I have an early night!

Last edited:
They mean something like what we call scones. Or so I'm told.
Kind of.

From what I understand, scones contain sugar and eggs, which our buttermilk biscuits don't. The best biscuits are layered and flaky. The gravy is usually a bechamel type sauce made from the rendered fat of seasoned pork breakfast sausage.

biscuits-7-new.jpg

sausagegravy.jpg

Kind of.

From what I understand, scones contain sugar and eggs, which our buttermilk biscuits don't. The best biscuits are layered and flaky. The gravy is usually a bechamel type sauce made from the rendered fat of seasoned pork breakfast sausage.

biscuits-7-new.jpg

sausagegravy.jpg
That sounds great! :yum:

Kind of.

biscuits-7-new.jpg

sausagegravy.jpg
Sounds good.

Basic scones in the Uk are 8oz self raising flour + a level teaspoon of baking powder + 1or2 ounces of butter or marge (not in my house it isn't - no margarine for me) + 5fl oz of yoghourt, a pinch of salt and a couple of oz of sugar depending on whether they are sweet or savoury. They can be gussied up with dried fruit or glace cherries or cheese, or served plain with jam and cream. The unsweetened ones are often eaten with cheese or used as a topping for a meat cobbler or if they are sweetened on a fruit cobbler.

I think your scones are richer than ours judging by Food Network demos.

Last edited:
Oh, those biscuits and gravy look good!!! :yum:
I live in B&G country, and my local supermarket often runs butcher shop specials on their in-shop made sausage, making it very affordable. Around here, if you can't make a very good sausage gravy, you had better not get caught making breakfast! :whistling

Well I tend to eat brunch rather than breakfast.

I was hoping to have an excellent roast dinner at a local carvery restaurant. However, I overlooked that it was Mother's Day and hence booked up and crowded (normally there is no booking - I arrive early). Despondent, I went to an M & S cafeteria and had simnel cake (not bad) and chicken mulligatawny soup which was thick, nice but just about warm enough not to complain (with seeded roll).

A good quality chorizo, thinly sliced with wholemeal sourdough bread, mayo, lettuce, watercress and small plum tomatoes.

Quite rare for me - an indulgence - BLT. (Bacon, lettuce and tomato on bread, toasted one side, mayo on the other).

Back
Top Bottom