What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a small bit of pork roast and potatoes I'd made for supper the night before and I ate that for breakfast. OK, so maybe it was brunch. Or really lunch. I was up till 5am and slept in till about noon today. I figure whatever I eat within 2 hours of waking up is breakfast, no matter what time of day it is.

]

dragn, why margarine and not butter?

I figure whatever I eat within 2 hours of waking up is breakfast, no matter what time of day it is.

Kaneohegirl I used margarine because I forgot to take out some butter and it wouldn't have soften in time to make it onto the toast.. :rolleyes:

rodentraiser :LOL: I absolutely agree, I often eat last night's for breakfast. I have to be up for about 2 hours before I can eat anything, coffee not included. I almost always had eggs, but now :ohmy::( I've developed a sensitivity to them... so I just eat the first thing I can grab from the fridge... and as said - usually left overs from supper. Dill pickles and hot peppers have been know to accompany.
If there is no supper left - then it will probably be cheese and toast in a variety of different ways.

Sunday Brunch

Per DH's request:
Fresh Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes with butter and Real Maple Syrup
Thick cut Bacon, oven roasted
Diced Asian Pear and Pomegranate juice

IMG_3182.jpg

We had a nice brunch today. I had some extra diced bell peppers and onion from making last night's dinner, so I used them to make Spanish Rice & Eggs (& Spam) from the Virginia Egg Council. The executive director gave a presentation on eggs and demonstrated this dish when I was taking the Master Food Volunteer class a couple months ago.

We sauteed the peppers and onions in one pan and, because DH does not like eggs, diced Jalapeno Spam in another pan. Then we made rice and mixed it with the vegetables. Made four little wells and put the Spam in two and cracked two eggs in the others. Covered and cooked for a few minutes to set the egg whites and served with a piece of English muffin toast (it didn't develop the crags for some reason, but it tastes great and makes nice toast and sandwiches).

Attachments

• spanish eggs and rice.jpg
    spanish eggs and rice.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 109
Saturday: Full English, I got spoiled by Mr Right. Sunday: Tea and Sandwiches with my favorite sausage which he found milk free and lemon free, I was so happy.

View attachment 26088

I made just a little bit too much Buttermilk Waffles for Sunday Brunch today,
so, we'll make Ice Cream Sandwiches with them for dessert tonight MMM
SSSSHHHHH!
Don't tell DH, I hide a carton of Ice Cream in the deep freeze out in the garage
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f168/last-thing-that-made-you-smile-13002-761.html#post1497318
:kiss:

Now about that round one. So you use two pointy ones to make a sandwich.?That ought to be an interesting ice cream sandwich. You must feed that one to DH.

BTW, I read your whole blog the other day. Loved it! Great reading. Made me wish I had taken the time to learn more about Hawaii during my year long stay there.

Now about that round one. So you use two pointy ones to make a sandwich.?That ought to be an interesting ice cream sandwich. You must feed that one to DH.

BTW, I read your whole blog the other day. Loved it! Great reading. Made me wish I had taken the time to learn more about Hawaii during my year long stay there.

Mahalo Addie
For some reason, I was looking at who was following my blog via email and saw this one that I hadn't seen before, and it's YOU!!
Thanks so much

...and DH will eat a waffle ice cream sandwich no matter the shape...it reminds him of the boardwalk at Wildwood NJ...we spent the first night of our honeymoon there ....

Kind of a grey, ugly morning so....

Nothin' like a bit o'country breakfast.

We had homemade biscuits with sausage gravy, fried eggs, orange juice and coffee. Sure tasted good, even if I did make it.

Best of all, there's plenty of sausage gravy left for tomorrow and I can make more biscuits.

Mahalo Addie
For some reason, I was looking at who was following my blog via email and saw this one that I hadn't seen before, and it's YOU!!
Thanks so much

...and DH will eat a waffle ice cream sandwich no matter the shape...it reminds him of the boardwalk at Wildwood NJ...we spent the first night of our honeymoon there ....

My pleasure. Unfortunately I find these blogs when they are already a few years old and very long. But I love reading them. I did the same with Kayelle's blog. I do have some regrets about leaving Hawaii. But it was a necessity. And I will continue to reading your blog. I was surprised to find out who Auntie was. I should have know it was you. Every gown woman in Hawaii is Auntie.

Kind of a grey, ugly morning so....

Nothin' like a bit o'country breakfast.

We had homemade biscuits with sausage gravy, fried eggs, orange juice and coffee. Sure tasted good, even if I did make it.

Best of all, there's plenty of sausage gravy left for tomorrow and I can make more biscuits.

Boy, if that isn't a typical Southern breakfast, or even just a meal, then I don't know what is. A couple of years ago I made that sausage gravy over rice for Pirate. He cleaned his plate and the pot it all was made in. Will have to surprise him again. I am going shopping in a couple of days and will have to pick up a roll of sausage. Thanks for the reminder.

I remember having a real Southern breakfast at my sil's in the mountains of western Virginia years ago. She made the best biscuits and sausage gravy, and served them with fried eggs and toast with damson plum jam. It was fantastic!

Just before we left, we asked her to show us how she made everything. While the second time around was just as delicious, DW almost had a heart attack at how fattening it was.

The biscuits were fun to make, but a bit messy as we ended up getting flour everywhere.

But then she made the sausage gravy. In her giant, century plus old cast iron skillet, she poured about a half of a bottle of (I think) corn oil and fried up some crumbled sausage. Then she sprinkled in flour to thicken up the bath of oil and sausage. Next, she added loads of black pepper, salt, and poured in a small bottle of cream. Stir everything together, and pour it over the sliced biscuits.

Then she used the rest of the oil to practically deep fry the eggs in another pan

It was all so delicious, but my wife would never make it at home. I will order biscuits and gravy about once or twice a year as a special treat when we're on vacation or something, but nothing has ever compared to my sil's.

Last edited:
Mmmm....biscuits and sausage gravy. I haven't had that in way too long. Your SIL's method sounds delicious, Bucky!

This morning's breakfast was a thick slice of buttered sourdough French toast sprinkled with nutmeg, a small bowl of red grapes, and coffee. :yum:

My pleasure. Unfortunately I find these blogs when they are already a few years old and very long. But I love reading them. I did the same with Kayelle's blog. I do have some regrets about leaving Hawaii. But it was a necessity. And I will continue to reading your blog. I was surprised to find out who Auntie was. I should have know it was you. Every gown woman in Hawaii is Auntie.

Oh my gosh Addie! That's 4 years worth of blogging, 437 posts and you read them all?! WOW!
(I love K & SC's blog too)
I have no regrets leaving Hawaii, but that doesn't mean I don't miss it from time to time. It's not the Hawaii I grew in anymore. DH wants to go again this Spring, but I just can't see it. WAY too expensive, I can think of alot more places that I'd rather go that we haven't been to yet.
We have our Senior Pass to the National Parks, LET'S GO!!!
And we still haven't finished our Highway 1 road trip. only made it as far as Crescent City Oregon.
SEE AMERICA!!

Oh my gosh Addie! That's 4 years worth of blogging, 437 posts and you read them all?! WOW!
(I love K & SC's blog too)
I have no regrets leaving Hawaii, but that doesn't mean I don't miss it from time to time. It's not the Hawaii I grew in anymore. DH wants to go again this Spring, but I just can't see it. WAY too expensive, I can think of alot more places that I'd rather go that we haven't been to yet.
We have our Senior Pass to the National Parks, LET'S GO!!!
And we still haven't finished our Highway 1 road trip. only made it as far as Crescent City Oregon.
SEE AMERICA!!

So right. See America First. I have ridden across American three times and each time I got to see something different. Sticking in my mind the most is The Grand Canyon. My youngest son has been to Yellowstone. He brought back the greatest picture of a bull Bison. It was standing by the roadside and he took the picture from the car. The ranger made everyone stay in their car. The car he was in was directly in line with the bison. I have lived in Texas and Hawaii and have a lot of memories of both states. My son Poo was eligible to enroll in the Punahou School because we came from Boston and that is where the Missionaries came from. Sorry, I think Hawaii was ruined by them. I turned down the offer. We lived in the apartment building right across the street from it.

I don't remember the school he did attend. And I am glad I sent him there. Mainly because I loved the clothing code. A tank top, shorts and flip flops. And they immediately recognized how smart he already was. I had started to teach him to read when he was just three years old. So they put him in a class that worked with advanced science for his age group. And he loved it! Best decision I ever made.

I should have taken a picture of this before I started eating but forgot. That's a regular sized dinner plate it's on, and about half of the frosting they normally serve on it (at my request). I only made it about half-way through this time and had to bring rest of it home.

37240-albums1070-picture6848.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom