What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm hoping to have tres leches pancakes for breakfast tomorrow. Checked the specials for 1 of our go-to places and they have them on special this weekend. Hint, hint....:angel:

DH and I decided last night that we'd get up early
and have Sunday Breakfast out; then go
down to the town square, where there is a
artist's guild fair going on this weekend.
If we went early, it wouldn't be too hot or humid;
before the Monsoon rains.

We went back to this great mom-and-pop-hole-in-the-wall-joint
that we found a few weeks back,
and I was so looking forward to
"fresh homemade corned beef hash, not from a can"

IMG_3437.jpg

:yuk:
It tasted, look and smelled like the stuff from the can.
I likened it to canned pet food with frozen diced potatoes add in
:sick::blink::angry:
I was extremely disappointed!
It very well may have been a fresh corned beef to start with,
and then they probably ground it up to stretch out the meat.
The eggs were good, fresh not from a carton, the potatoes were good as well and I had an english muffin for my choice of toast (not pictured because our wait staff person forgot it :huh:)
A large group of ladies sat down at the table right next to us and
I heard, "Excuse me, but how is the corned beef hash? I see that you're not eating it. Is it any good?"
:mellow:
I turned with the same look on my face as the emoji above,
and politely said, "It wasn't what I had excepted."
:LOL:
Not to mention that it took 45 minutes to get our food; it was the after church rush and not enough hands on deck. I will say in their defense, they were heavily in the weeds, the place was packed!
They do have what looks like alot of really good food,
they give alot and it's cheap!
We'll give them another go around, just not on a Sunday morning :angel:

Craig's had that happen before in several places. He'll get corned beef hash cut in these absolutely perfect 1/8 inch cubes or ground to death that tastes like it is straight out of a can. No chef that had the knife skills to cut those perfect little cubes would be working in breakfast/lunch joints. We confronted 1 owner/chef with that once and all he could do was stammer.

I got my tres leches pancakes this morning, and also picked them apart and fIgured out what they did, so I have to write it up and send to DD.

Craig's had that happen before in several places. He'll get corned beef hash cut in these absolutely perfect 1/8 inch cubes or ground to death that tastes like it is straight out of a can. No chef that had the knife skills to cut those perfect little cubes would be working in breakfast/lunch joints. We confronted 1 owner/chef with that once and all he could do was stammer.

I got my tres leches pancakes this morning, and also picked them apart and fIgured out what they did, so I have to write it up and send to DD.

I've only had good corned beef hash a handful of times out at breakfast... WAY too labor intensive to make "chunked" hash, it's much faster and cheaper to just grind the meat, not to mention you can make a heck of alot more plates of ground hash as apposed to chunked.
That's what I ought to do is make my own and just freeze portions of it off for myself... DH doesn't care for it ... so he'll get something else that I don't necessarily like for Sunday Brunch :idea:

So glad you got your yummy pancakes :chef:

Per DH's request, Vienna Sausage fried crisp,
soft scrambled eggs and
steamed white rice topped with shoyu and furikake, ONO!!

and that is????

Wrong use of the word...after the kale and eggs she had to stuff the beans down...:ROFLMAO:

Love ya, CWS!!!!

:LOL:

Left over shrimp scampi with angel hair. Did I mention I don't like breakfast foods?

Not that I don't like breakfast foods, but milk and sugar (syrups, honey, molasses etc) give me a belly ache... until just recently so did eggs. (have to be careful though, not too many!) AND I've discovered I can now eat BANANAS!!! WHOOPPPEEEE! one of my most favourite foods, again, I carefully eat only one/third per day. A trick my doc told me was to scrape the banana of its covering (yech, makes a slimy piece to hold). In other words, peel the banana after you peel it! LOL.

I will say in their defense, they were heavily in the weeds, the place was packed!
They do have what looks like alot of really good food,
they give alot and it's cheap!
We'll give them another go around, just not on a Sunday morning :angel:

good for you to give them a second chance. Would be a shame to pass on a good eatery just because of a bad choice in days to visit! ;)

dragn,
shoyu is:
What is shoyu?

and furikake is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furikake

We top our steamed white rice with these two condiments,
and it's very tasty indeed!

003.JPG
[file photo-chicken katsu, stir fry baby bok choy and steamed white rice topped with shoyu and furikake, ONO!]

We prefer lower sodium Aloha brand shoyu as apposed to say Kikoman

We really liked this mom&pop joint the last time we went there,
and to be fair, the food was good, they were just overwhelmed
by the sheer volume of customers... I guess the word has gotten
around that they've got pretty darned good food!

dragn,
shoyu is:
What is shoyu?

and furikake is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furikake

We top our steamed white rice with these two condiments,
and it's very tasty indeed!

View attachment 27565
[file photo-chicken katsu, stir fry baby bok choy and steamed white rice topped with shoyu and furikake, ONO!]

We prefer lower sodium Aloha brand shoyu as apposed to say Kikoman

We really liked this mom&pop joint the last time we went there,
and to be fair, the food was good, they were just overwhelmed
by the sheer volume of customers... I guess the word has gotten
around that they've got pretty darned good food!

Staples in my pantry and chicken and pork katsu are both on my rotating menu.. Love that stuff... :yum:

Ross

I always have a brunch on Sunday, and today was no different.

Sunday Brunch - Strawberries and cream; chorizo, red, orange, and yellow sweet mini-peppers and queso fresco omelette; Mexican rice (You could smell it cooking in the rice cooker all over the neighborhood!); and Charro beans.

[video src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TpFsp0VgF8"][/video]

Now, Ross, let me ask you:
do you use the katsu dipping sauce?

And also, to me, Chicken Katsu (which is different for Tonkatsu), is
simply Japanese Fried Chicken, well, not counting Karaage chicken, :yum:
OK! STOP NOW! :LOL:

Yes.. To me, the sauce essential for the finished dish..

I tend to make chicken and pork katsu in the same manner.. Where I really digress from "authentic" is, I bake rather than fry.. I use Nami Chen's recipes.. :)

Baked Tonkatsu 揚げないとんかつ • Just One Cookbook

Ross

Yes.. To me, the sauce essential for the finished dish..

I tend to make chicken and pork katsu in the same manner.. Where I really digress from "authentic" is, I bake rather than fry.. I use Nami Chen's recipes.. :)

Baked Tonkatsu 揚げないとんかつ • Just One Cookbook

Ross

Hmmm, I'll try this technique Ross, Mahalo, thanks!
I do two things different with my katsu:
1) I use sweet rice flour or mochiko rather than AP flour
2) I shallow fry my cutlets (I don't mind the mess for a delicious meal ;))

I don't know why I like it so much (maybe a genetic Scandinavian thing), but I've been eating a lot of fish for breakfast again lately.

Tuna salad on soft white with low salt potato chips, or a tin of mackerel in oil on thick, wholegrain crackers with pickled onions, or anchovies in oil on whole wheat toast with a side salad of slices of green peppers, cukes, tomatoes, and white onions.

Also, rollmopse with pickles and buttered rye.

Does anyone else like fish for breakfast?

I don't know why I like it so much (maybe a genetic Scandinavian thing),
Does anyone else like fish for breakfast?

My BIL!
He's Jamaican and eats fish for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
My SIL, (his wife) doesn't even like fish! :LOL: but... she married him because she couldn't even cook hot dogs! and he IS a fantastic cook. Dinner will usually include chicken, either pork or maybe beef, at least 5 different vegies, salad and oh yeah, almost forgot, fish!
He's actually the one who got me eating and cooking it!

Yah Mon! :) Dey eat a lot of de salt cod down dere, ya know, sistah.

I forgot to add smoked fish like trout or salmon for breakfast, with a schmear on a bagel. Or whitefish salad.

Last edited:
Truth to tell Bucky, I don't think I've ever seen him eat salt cod - fresh fish only... in so far as I know! and he has never called me sistah! LOL

Although he got stuck by the poisonous quills of that funny fish that I posted about earlier. He was trying to prep them to freeze to bring home with him. He had already eaten one every other day while they were on vacation. He would go down to the docks first thing in the morning and wait for the boats to come in so he could grab the best variety.

When they were somewhere in the south seas, he complained when they started to chuck the heads, saying NO NO those are the best parts. The locals all fell in love with him and would take him home with them and always made sure he had the best fish of the day. LOL

Sure, why not? I often have dinner leftovers.

I also have dinner leftovers but not for breakfast. It must be a cultural thing - I'm in Northern Ireland where the only potato-related things we would have on our breakfast plate would be potato bread or hash browns.

Gillian

Lately I've been having poached egg on either toast or english muffin. Sometimes I'll slip a bit of ham or cheese in. Also sided with tomatoes NOW coming from the garden!!! :clap:

LOL - GilliAnne, I too, often have last night's for breakfast and although it isn't the "norm" here either, I'm sure you must have some countrymen that do too. Might be far and few between but they are there! My sisters would never dream of it but my mom & bro did, just as I. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom