What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Piece of freshly toasted, yeasty, home made bread, topped with two poached eggs, gently cooked in butter in the poaching pan. My Grandpa had a hing pan with the removable poaching cups when I was a child. When I would sleep over at my grandparents, I would get two poached eggs on toast, a half grapefruit, or big wedge of cantaloupe, and a tall glass of cold milk, fresh from a local dairy and delivered in bottles to the doorstep. I felt comforted, loved, and special in that home. My Grandfather also taught me the pancake jingle that I passed on to my children, and grandchildren; "Pancakes are delicious, pancakes are so fine, I ought-ta know, 'cause I like 'em so, that I eat 'em all the time." Eating those poached eggs from the poaching pan not only gies me a tasty breakfast, but takes me back in time to that very special home. How can a breakfast get any better than that?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Cheesy Three-Egg Scramble with Onions & Sweet Peppers - Adolescent Yukons, Fried in Butter... Ketchup

Egg Scramble, Cheesey .jpg

Sauteed Russian kale (it is still available in the garden) to which I added some grated beet, also from the garden, garlic, grated carrot, tomato (put up in September), a poached egg (thanks to Miss Betty White), and pan-fried, melt-in-your-mouth red potatoes also from the garden, topped with some fersh parsley. Yum, yum, yum.

DH hit me with this first thing this morning. "I have a surprise for you but don't think it will work". Then he goes on to tell me about this recipe for Apple Raisin Bread that he is making. (First time making bread or anything involving yeast, pretty brave of him). He just now put it in the oven. Will let you all know later how it turns out.

Chorizo and egg burro.

This is such a quick and easy breakfast. I cook off the chorizo and freeze off what I don't use the first time. When I freeze it, I put it into a dish that I can use a butter knife and slice it into individual servings. When I grab it out of the freezer even though the sections have come back together it still breaks off in those section. 20 seconds in the microwave for a single serving and it's ready to go into some eggs.

DH hit me with this first thing this morning. "I have a surprise for you but don't think it will work". Then he goes on to tell me about this recipe for Apple Raisin Bread that he is making. (First time making bread or anything involving yeast, pretty brave of him). He just now put it in the oven. Will let you all know later how it turns out.

This turned out to be more like an apple upside down cake than a bread. Whatever it was, it turned out to be very tasty.

Oat, Buckwheat, & Flaxseed Porridge with fresh strawberries and a hard-boiled egg.
327 calories, 15 grams protein, 36 grams net carbs, 10 grams fat.

Oats n Buckwheat Porridge w Strawberries 2019-12-08 084957.jpg

Saved a bit of last night's Tavern Ham for Brunch...

Pepper, Onion & Egg Scramble, Nuked Tavern Ham, Baby Yukons fried in Duck Fat...

Ham, Pepper & Egg Scramble, Fried Babies.jpg

Polished off the leftover Cannelloni a guest brought for the Gingerbread meal.

Calories:- 3500
Protein:- 15
Carbs:- 500
Fats:- 75

Was enough for at least 2 very large portions - I scarfed it all down in 5 seconds. :pig:
My scales showed I had actually lost 2 pounds over the weekend, so that makes it OK. :angel:

Fried Egg with Shrimp n Grits

Woke up early and felt like something a little different this morning.
IMG_20191209_073716506.jpg
Fried Egg Shrimp n Grits 2019-12-09 071754.jpg
698 calories, 54g protein, 63g net carbs, 23g fat

Scrambled eggs w/ spinach, Fried potatoes and poblanos, Leftover pan-fried tofu

The tofu is new to me. Made it for the first time to top last night's salad. I think a pound a week or so will end up being a regular thing.
IMG_20191211_084052715.jpg
Breakfast 2019-12-11 094008.jpg
699 calories, 34g protein, 36g net carbs, 45g fat

Spaghetti and Egg

Did something a little different this morning.
IMG_20191212_085400267.jpg

IMG_20191212_085716722.jpg

Breakfast 2019-12-12 090325.jpg

723 calories, 37g protein, 52 net carbs, 39g fat

Last edited:
Today's breakfast was an Italian/French fusion. I made a fritata in the french omelet style. I used saute'd fresh sliced mushrooms in b and butter. When they were almost done, I added Italian sausage crumbles. When all was hot, I added two beaten eggs to the pan, all over medium-low heat. I grated up some extra sharp cheddar and then swirled the egg, which was almost set all the way. I sprinkled on the cheese, and slid the egg onto a plate, folding it in half as I laid it down. The ressidual heat complete settin the egg just right, and melting the cheese. It was delicate, and at the same time, very flavorful So I got the delicate texture, and full flavor of the egg, and the added flavors of mushroom and sausage, all with butter. It was tasty. Fusion can be a very good thing. On Saturday, I will make crepe's. I've got some good, homemade Michigan blueberry, jam that's waiting for something wonderful to top it on.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I should have snapped a pic of it to post here, but I didn't think about it. I don't normally eat breakfast. But today I had some running around to do and didn't want to run around hungry, so I made eggs & oats. It sounds weird, as it did to me at first, but since the first time I made it, I developed a liking to it. Basically, in a bowl, you crack 2 eggs, add 1/2 cup of whole oats and about 1/4 cup of milk and a dash of salt. Whisk it all together and scramble it up in a pan until the eggs are cooked.

Tasty and good for you.

Christmas morning we had the best breakfast bake casserole I've ever done.

Most of us know about those breakfast bakes using bread or hash browns for the base of the casserole, but this time I used leftover cornbread. Any cornbread would work but I had Mexican cornbread so I think it was extra flavorful. I cooked up some Jimmy Dean sausage along with onion, sprinkled on some grated cheese, and then poured the egg/milk mixture over all and baked.

This would also work great for those "breakfast for dinner" nights.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom