What have you had for lunch lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today's lunch is a salad. 1/2 head romaine lettuce, 2 stalks celery, 1 apple, diced, 1 oz crumbled feta cheese, 1 oz raisins, about 1/4 c black beans, two yellow apples, almonds, about 2 oz. of leftover lamb, sliced. Dressing is EVOO, red wine vinegar, S&P. Dessert is a banana (I hate bananas, but decided the health benefits outweigh my aversion to them--mind you, I am very, very picky about the ripeness and odor. I can't eat one in front of anyone, because I do gag between bites, but I'm working on it.

Today's lunch is a salad. 1/2 head romaine lettuce, 2 stalks celery, 1 apple, diced, 1 oz crumbled feta cheese, 1 oz raisins, about 1/4 c black beans, two yellow apples, almonds, about 2 oz. of leftover lamb, sliced. Dressing is EVOO, red wine vinegar, S&P. Dessert is a banana (I hate bananas, but decided the health benefits outweigh my aversion to them--mind you, I am very, very picky about the ripeness and odor. I can't eat one in front of anyone, because I do gag between bites, but I'm working on it.

CWS, there is nothing in the world that would make me eat something that I had that much of an aversion to. Brussels Sprouts come to mind.

CWS, there is nothing in the world that would make me eat something that I had that much of an aversion to. Brussels Sprouts come to mind.
It has been a challenge. The bananas have to be perfect--not overly ripe, not too "banana-y" smelling and the only reason I'm eating them is for the health benefits. When the tomatoes are ripe, I'll dump the bananas.

It has been a challenge. The bananas have to be perfect--not overly ripe, not too "banana-y" smelling and the only reason I'm eating them is for the health benefits. When the tomatoes are ripe, I'll dump the bananas.

That's how I eat bananas, I just don't do the gagging thing.

Have a hard time with bananas too, unless they're in something like a smoothie. Brussels sprouts, there's no way I'd eat them in anything.

This pics is a week old, but it's what I had today. . .I can't believe I had a salad as a meal, after years of touting: A salad is not a meal, it's a promise that there is food to come.
That salad is definitely a meal. Look what's in it... all kinds of things that are good for you and it looks like it'd be pretty yummy. I love my lunch and dinner salads.. yup.... salad for dinner! Greens, red onion, cucumbers, celery, cheese and walnuts or spiced pecans with grilled chicken or salmon, or a turkey burger (sans roll) or pork chop on the side. A lunch salad might sometimes include tuna. I've found some great light cheeses that aren't like that processed garbage (like rubbery Cracker Barrel). One is a really good blue cheese either crumbled or a wedge by Bella, and the other is Trader Joe's Celtic cheddar. :heart:

Yummy Salad

Today is a really yummy salad with lettuce, red onion, cucumber, celery, TJ's red. fat Celtic cheddar, apples, dried cranberries, walnuts and grilled chicken. Dressing is my basic go-dressing (family recipe) with Greek yogurt and honey added. Definitely worthy of being dinner... but treating myself to a nice lunch. Picture below (wish I had tossed it first... looked nicer):heart:

"TJ's red. fat Celtic cheddar, apples, dried cranberries, walnuts and grilled chicken. Dressing is my basic go-dressing (family recipe) with Greek yogurt and honey added."

JanetMlr: This is a recipe my wife and I would love for dinner. What is "TJ's red?" Do you use the "Craisin" type of dried cranberries? Also, can you elaborate on your basic go-dressing? This looks divine....

"TJ's red. fat Celtic cheddar, apples, dried cranberries, walnuts and grilled chicken. Dressing is my basic go-dressing (family recipe) with Greek yogurt and honey added."

JanetMlr: This is a recipe my wife and I would love for dinner. What is "TJ's red?" Do you use the "Craisin" type of dried cranberries? Also, can you elaborate on your basic go-dressing? This looks divine....

"TJ's red. fat Celtic cheddar"

I think this is "TJ's reduced fat Celtic cheddar." I don't know what her go-to dressing is :)

Nothing. I forgot to eat today until just now when I saw the title. So I grabbed a very large piece of Swiss Cheese and am munching on that. :angel:

DH was tired of leftovers, so he brought home a box of salad bar stuff from a local restaurant for us to split.

I had some leftover pork tenderloin and roasted potatoes from the other night. Another meal's worth remains for tomorrow.

"TJ's red. fat Celtic cheddar"

I think this is "TJ's reduced fat Celtic cheddar." I don't know what her go-to dressing is :)
So sorry about the abbreviation. I shouldn't have done that. I should have just called it "lite" in the first place, which I believe is what's on the package. I guess I was being a bit lazy. My "go-to dressing" is a basic dressing my mom made, and I have made for years, and both my son and daughter also make. It's just a good basic dressing. I don't measure anything but it's canola oil and apple cider vinegar (about 3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar), oregano, fresh crushed garlic, dry mustard, a little Worcestershire sauce, paprika (I always use Hungarian paprika) and a bit of sugar. I like to make other dressings, but that's the dressing I use most of the time. Every now and then I take a little of that dressing and add dijon mustard and honey. And for today's salad I used some of my basic dressing and added honey and Greek yogurt and tarragon.

So sorry about the abbreviation. I shouldn't have done that. I should have just called it "lite" in the first place, which I believe is what's on the package.
I go and apologize for the abbreviation, but didn't mention that TJ's is Trader Joe's. But any good cheddar is of course is fine, or other cheese of choice.

Last edited:
Today's lunch is a huge salad--garden lettuce, baby kale, Swiss Chard, red and green cabbage, radish, carrot, walnuts, Arctic char, mango, tomato, golden raisins, fennugreek sprouts, black chickpeas, pansy blossoms, garlic scapes, grated parm, and apple. Dressing is some of my homemade cherry vinegar, EVOO, Dijon mustard, S&P whirled with the immersion blender. That should keep me going all afternoon.

Last edited:
I just had the most amazing sandwich... and NO BREAD!

That's right... no bread! And the bread that isn't bread? It's cauliflower! Cauliflower florets, were riced and cooked, and moisture squeezed out. Added to it was an egg, a little mozzarella cheese and s&p. And I do not eat cauliflower. I've used it to make a dish for holidays, but never eat it. Once the 'bread' slices were baked to a golden brown, and cooled, it was perfect to work with. Then I just made grilled cheese like I'd make any grilled cheese.

Leave it to me to get excited about a cauliflower grilled cheese sandwich. But it was delicious!

Today's breakfast was V-8, egg salad on a small ww hamburger roll, turkey sausage links, coffee. Dinner is going to be quinoa with chicken, broccoli, carrots and onion asian style.

Back
Top Bottom