What have you had for lunch lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greek lemon spinach lentil stew and WW bread (made 4 loaves today), sliced with a spread of walnut butter mixed with honey and cinnamon.

You mist mean the Parkway Apartments, which is now the Parkway Condominiums. The only other buildings that could be called high rises would be the Hotel Niagara and the United Building. Niagara Falls never had much of a skyline to speak of.
Maybe not the Empire State Building but pretty tall for Niagara Falls. 🤭

When I lived there it was like it had been frozen in time.

They had some old luxury apartments with maids rooms and separate kitchen entrances.

It was inexpensive then and I had a humble one bedroom apartment.

Last edited:
Chopped Liver, baguettes, pickles, and melon

20230818_114749.jpg

I made a bean salad today, with 6 different varieties of beans (actually 7, including the kidney beans!). I started making it last night, by cutting up the beans, then steaming them, then draining, and icing them, then draining again. Then I cooked some purple barley in the IP - 2/3 c cooked up to about 2 c when I drained it. I cut up a large red bell pepper into strips, sort of like the beans, and mixed all these together, adding a can each of whole corn and dark kidney beans, rinsed and drained. This got refrigerated, to continue on today.

Today, I added some EVOO and red wine vinegar, and chopped up a bunch of basil, a small amount of Thai basil, and a generous amount of chives and garlic chives, and about 3 tb of that kalamata olive paste, and mixed that in. I minced one of those Datil peppers up for it, but then added another one. I added about a half cup of sliced almonds, then added a bunch of halved or quartered cherry tomatoes. I finished with a little salt, and a bunch of freshly ground pepper. I ended up with over 3 quarts of the salad!
Bean salad, with some tomatoes, peppers, corn, purple barley, and some almonds. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Bean salad, for lunch, and a lot for later. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Guacamole! Aldi had avocados for 50¢ ea this week, so I'll be having more, as well. I am also getting my favorite peppers for guac ripening now (along with tomatoes) - Hanoi Market; not traditional, but fantastic flavor. I freeze what I don't eat now, for guacamole and many SE Asian dishes in the off-season.

I didn't know you were from Niagara Falls! I spent the first 28 (miserable) yeas of my life there. Then I moved on to bigger and better things. I went back in 2018 for two years to take care of my father. Nothing much changed except Page's had changed hands twice but still couldn't stay in business, there was some guy with a push cart selling whistle pigs in the Pine Plaza parking lot, LaSalle high school became a Walmart (People laugh when I tell them I went to high school at Walmart) and most of the 'good' stores are in LaSalle now. I hated that place in the 70s and I still hate it today!
Why was he selling whistle pigs? To eat or as pets?

Yeah, I had never heard of that. I live in NE Ohio and whistle pigs = woodchucks AKA groundhogs. I know someone who ate it once and said it wasn't bad, red meat that was a little greasy but tasted okay. Probably like a lot of things, it depends on how you cook it.

1693069442837.jpeg

There is also a whiskey named Whistle Pig.

I can well imagine the whistle after drinking whiskey.

taxy and any others that have the older versions of Joy of Cooking. There are lots of recipes for wild critters from Possum to racoons to who remembers? Think squirrel is in there too.

taxy and any others that have the older versions of Joy of Cooking. There are lots of recipes for wild critters from Possum to racoons to who remembers? Think squirrel is in there too.
It makes me think of the Beverly Hillbillies and granny's possum stew or whatever it was she made with possum.

I don't remember a recipe for possum, but there weren't any where we lived in the log cabin, so I may just not have paid attention. We did use the butchering instructions for rabbit and deer. They also gave instructions for skinning. I don't remember if they had a recipe for porcupine, but porcupine was delicious. Cook it by any recipe that works for pork, but make sure to follow trichina safety rules.

I think my JOC is from mid-1980's. I'm pretty sure there is a recipe for bear and several other wild game.

Yes, I remember the bear and porcupine were listed. Not that I ever made any of them :LOL:

Lunch was some egg noodles on a bit of dchunked tomato with Pecorino, and drizzled with Leek infused olive oil.

Back
Top Bottom