What is happening with Wondra flour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, no! You can't find it? I've not looked for it lately, but now I will!

There may be some suggestions for a good substitute...but you'll need to let us know how you like to use Wondra. :unsure:

Oh, no! You can't find it? I've not looked for it lately, but now I will!

There may be some suggestions for a good substitute...but you'll need to let us know how you like to use Wondra. :unsure:
I don't think I've ever seen a Wondra substitute. It's highly processed and manipulated so it will be less likely to clump.

I can't remember the last time I bought Wondra - I had to stop, to remember what I kept that shaker container of Wondra in the kitchen for, and it was for thickening things, as I could whisk it into soups or sauces, w/o clumping, or w/o having to make a roux with it. I use other things, now, but I have seen the blue containers.

Have you looked at Fred Meyer? The website lets me add it to my cart, so I gotta think they have it. Gold Medal site says it comes in the 13.5 oz can and a 32 oz option. Maybe look for the bag instead of the can?

Didn't someone post a method for baking regular flour, so it could be used as a Wondra substitute? At least it would be similar in not having a raw taste if not cooked long enough after adding to a dish to thicken it.

Didn't someone post a method for baking regular flour, so it could be used as a Wondra substitute? At least it would be similar in not having a raw taste if not cooked long enough after adding to a dish to thicken it.
From Professor Peabody’s WAYBAC Machine! 🤭
1699343912438.jpeg

From Professor Peabody’s WAYBAC Machine! 🤭
View attachment 66735Thank

Thank you for finding that. But I think I would shake the flour with some of the cold stock in a jar. I've done that with flour to thicken stew and stuff. It works fine, but needs to be simmered afterwards for 10-15 minutes to get rid of the raw taste if the flour. I'm going to guess that the browned flour has a bit less thickening power.

Thank you for finding that. But I think I would shake the flour with some of the cold stock in a jar. I've done that with flour to thicken stew and stuff. It works fine, but needs to be simmered afterwards for 10-15 minutes to get rid of the raw taste if the flour. I'm going to guess that the browned flour has a bit less thickening power.
I’ve used that method with good results but if I want a rich brown gravy I prefer to brown the flour in the fat and drippings to make a dark peanut butter roux.

I think the biggest takeaway is that the more we learn the less we need to rely on specialized products like Wondra.

If you toast flour in a thick bottomed pan on the stove, stirring constantly, until your smoke detector goes off, to slightly tanned, it will thicken gravy. Flour without cooking or toasting has enough moisture in it to clump. The flour will smell and look slightly toasted. (our smoke detector is VERY sensitive)

I do this with whole wheat flour or pastry flour for making gravy. I can be stored after cooking it to use later if kept in an air tight glass container.

If you want to make a darker gravy, you can darken it by adding bead molasses.

My Freddy's says out of stock as does Walmart
I'm betting/praying that it is a temporary situation! That's happened a lot, lately. Most recently, no one had Better Cheddars. Then, it was Fudge Covered Nutter Butters. And, believe me, because I looked everywhere. Then, they were just back. Everywhere.

So, don't give up. Just give is a bit of time. Especially since the holidays are coming and lots of folks are going to be looking for Wondra to make their gravy!! :chef:

I have just done some internet searching and can't find an explanation of bead molasses other than that it is used in Asian cooking. I couldn't find out if there is a Western equivalent or how it is made. I did find out about treacle, light molasses, medium molasses, black strap molasses, and other sugary syrups.

I almost always have some black strap molasses in my pantry. I don't use it often, but I use it to make brown sugar out of white sugar. I don't use brown sugar often, so it always gets hard. Easier for me to mix up as much as I need on the few occasions I do use it. I like the way molasses improves the flavour of some stove top beans that I cook. It's not nearly as sweet as an equivalent amount of sugar and adds great depth of flavour. I plan to start experimenting with it as a sugar substitute in other dishes too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom