What is your "Signature Dish?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I was catering, every client received a plate of my Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies with their order, whether or not they ordered that. I still get lots of request for CCO's from family and friends. Sorry, don't ask for the recipe. It's the only one I won't share.

I don't know about "signature" dishes any more, but some of my more requested dishes include Chicken in Red Wine Vinegar Sauce, Burgundy Style Rabbit My Way, Shrimp DeJonghe, Scallops any number of ways, Falafel-Crusted Salmon on a bed of Spinach, Coconut Pound Cake, my house-made ice creams and sherbets.

Chicken with Rosemary and Sweet Potatoes.
The bird (always a roaster, NOT a fryer) has roasted garlic pulp, butter, and chopped rosemary under the skin...it's delicious, and pretty easy to make.

I usually make a sauce from the pan drippings once the bird is done and "resting" for 15 minutes under foil. All you need on the side is a salad to complete the meal. :chef:

Lamb curry stew, cause I could have it everyday, only, the quality of US lamb is going downhill. They are starting to feed the lambs grain instead of grass at an earlier time.

2.5 lbs. lamb trimmed of fat and cut into 3/4" pieces.
3 to 5 Tbsp curry powder (3 is mild, 5 is semi hot)
4 large onions chopped
2 Tbsp butter or margerine
1 clove garlic diced or equivelent
2 bay leaves crushed
1 Tbsp salt
a little thyme
2 large green apples
2 Tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch
3 cups water
Sharwood's Mango Chutney - Green Label
Sauce/Stew pot ( 9" dia - 6" deep )

Saute the onions in butter untill tender. Add the lamb and curry powder. Add the garlic, bay leaves, salt, a little thyme and 3 cups water.
Bring to boil and simmer uncovered for 2 hours or untill the lamb is tender.
Remove the meat to a seperate dish. Season sauce to taste if needed ( salt/ curry powder).
To the sauce, add the chopped green apples and 1 Tbsp chutney. Bring the sauce back to boil and slowly add 2 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot mixed with one teaspoon of cold water.
Add the lamb back to sauce. Stir and remove from heat.

Serve lamb on a bed of rice. Sprinkle condiments on top.
Chopped egg whites, chopped egg yolks, chopped green onions, chopped peanuts, raisins, pineapple, real bacon bits. A spoonfull of Sharwood's Mango Chutney on the side.

That recipe sounds fantastic, Caslon. I see you also are in so cal......have you tried the New Zeland leg of lamb at Costco for this? I break it down for my source of good lamb. One question, where do you find Sharwood's Mango Chutney?

It originally was my pancakes:
Mix together dry:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. sugar or your favorite sweetener
2 tsp. double-acting baking powder
Add:
1 extra-large egg
3 tbs. cooking oil
3/4 cup water
1/2 tsp vanilla (optional)
Stir until batter is formed but there are still small lumps. Add 3 tbs. batter for each pancake on a hot griddle. Cook over medium heat until bubbles form on top and begin to burst. Flip and cook for about two more minutes. Serve hot.

I tried the pancakes. Very yummy.

Beanless chili! The way it should be!

Ham with Scalloped potatoes and leeks about ten years ago.

Old one was lamb tenderloin in blackberry cabernet sauce.(90's)

Before that was a seafood newburg.(late 80's)
(where's the Chardonnay?)

My Lasagna Soup has to be my signature. I make a lot of soups but that one is most requested by family & friends. I use my breadmaker often and usually make a loaf of Italian Bread to go with:)

A group of us used to meet for holiday cookouts, and I was always asked to make my potato salad. My secret is seasoning with only Italian Dressing Mix plus a capful of vinegar, and mayo. No added salt or pepper. Once I had forgotten and had to rush a batch using only potatoes and hard boiled eggs. It was just as good without all the other ingredients.

Last edited:
Lasagna for a main dish and lemon meringue pie for dessert. (But it takes forever so I don't do it often.)

Do you have to have a noodle machine to make the noodles? If not, how is the noodle making done. i would love to maybe give it a try.
No, you do not need a machine to make noodles. If you have a pasta machine, just roll out a strip of pasta, let it dry some. Roll it up jelly-roll style and then cut it with a knife about 1/4 inch wide. Loosen it up and let it dry completly.

Attachments

• cake 080.jpg
    cake 080.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 179
My family loves my dressing - my goal was to make it tastes just like 'mom's' - it took me 2-3 decades. The same for pumpkin pie - took about the same amount of time. But, they are my signature 'fall' dishes.

I make mean BBQ ribs in the summertime.

My lasagna isn't bad, either :0)

I'd have to say my southwestern bean soup. And for Christmas I'm always asked to make cardamom braided bread (Finnish Nissua) so I must be doing that right too :)

Pasticada

Pierce a 4lbs piece of beef all over (brisket), stick garlic slivers and smoked bacon into the slits, place in a bowl and pour 1/2 a cup of red wine vinegar over it, leave in fridge for 24 hrs.
Remove meat from dish, season, put in a cooking pot with some olive oil, beef dripping, onions, celery and carrots, cover and roast for 60 mins.

Take meat out of the pot,place pot on medium heat puree veg add a little flour, work in, add two cloves, tomato puree, a little sweet pudding wine,red wine, a few slices of lemon a handful of chopped prunes.Work into a good gravy.

Cut meat along the grain into 1/2" thick slices and place in gravy, cook slowly until tender.Let the Pasticada cool place in fridge for 24 hrs, re-heat gently and serve with mashed or roasted potato.

Last edited:
Like many of you, I'm thinking of other "signature" dishes. Different dishes for different seasons, and lord knows, for different places I've lived. But last December one of my sisters (the only one who likes to cook) called me from Mom & Dad's house and asked me to talk her through tourtiere. She said it turned out great, and Mom & Dad were so happy to have it again! The tourtieres of their youths were very heavy and and rather bland (I honestly remember them as being just something to absorb alcohol that was consumed!), and whenever I've made my version here in the midwest, it disappeared very quickly. Maybe there's something about living in pastie land that makes savory pies more acceptable than in much of the U.S., but I bake a tourtiere for a buffet or potluck, and my tourtiere-loving husband is lucky to get a slice!

Back
Top Bottom